Everspace 2

PCG likey.

From article:

Ship handling is distinctly arcadey, with full 3D movement and the ability to precisely jet up and down, which comes in very handy when squeezing through small gaps. Enemies are fast, and combat doesn’t become the turning contests seen in Freelancer where you latched onto an opponent’s tail and followed it wherever it went until it exploded. Luckily, there’s a generous lock on, leading fire indicator, and aim assist (which becomes stronger if you’re using a gamepad). Combine this with homing missiles, and it can be hard to miss, though chipping away at a ship’s shields while making sure your own recharges, and avoiding incoming fire, is a skill in itself.

I needs it now!

It’s “better than Freelancer” but they score ES2 at 85 while they score Freelancer at 90.

Well, after 20 years, you’d kind of expect it to be better.

Not necessarily. How many recent space 4x games are no better, and even worse than MOO/MOO2? Improving tech doesn’t necessarily mean improved gameplay.

Well, I mildly enjoyed Freelancer, but could never really get into it because of the mouse & keyboard controls. What an non-immersive way to play a space sim. So if it’s like Freelancer, but with Gamepad support, it’s already way better than Freelancer for me personally.

I played it with a controller, I’m almost certain of it. Did it not have controller support and I’m misremembering? I feel like games I previously needed a flight stick for, such as Elite Dangerous, feel better to me (today) with a controller than a flight stick. I dropped like $200 on a nice stick for Elite years ago and never used it, I immediately preferred controller and ended up giving the stick away to a friends son.

It did not have controller support and you’re misremembering. Unfortunately. Oh if only it had had controller or joystick support!

Edit: That said, maybe you played it after the fact using a utility like Joy2Key or something?

Is it the same reviewer? If it’s not, then I don’t see that comparison as a problem.

Unlikely, I probably used the keyboard and mouse and just don’t remember, I tend to avoid third party apps and such as I will only get annoyed and less interested than the problem they fix, usually.

The one thing I do know is I enjoyed it but was not a fan of the roguelike progression, I got all the way to the last boss a few times and couldn’t seal the deal and ended up walking away promising to return and never doing it, but I do remember really liking it. I also recall hearing/reading that this new one is more of an open space RPG and not a run-based rogue game, so a bit more like Outlaw Galaxy it sounded like, so I have never looked to close into it (I’m about to watch a stream now) to maybe pick it up Thursday.

Oh wait, you seem to be talking about Everspace 1, not Freelancer? Unless you were changing the topic?

OMG. This is why I shouldn’t post when I’m busy, I read your “Freelance” AS Everspace, and thought that’s what you were talking about. Yes, sorry, I’ve actually never played Freelancer.

The same reviewer said it was better than Freelancer, but gave it a lower score than Freelancer.

Hell even if it is the same reviewer, that’s a twenty year gap.

Wouldn’t that just imply the reviewer believes Everspace 2 (now) is better than Freelancer (now) but not as good as Freelancer (then)?

Quite liked the RPS review. Positive, but a bit down on some of the obligatory systems in the modern ARPG.

I’m super interested in this, so I’m going to do a dive into some reviews. Has anyone else played this a take or two for someone on the fence?

It’s great.

Can you summarize? :D