Evil Genius 2. Eviler. Geniuser.

Darn it…I was hoping this would be light and fun and something as a change of pace to my range inducing Nioh 2 gaming…guess i will have to fire up Animal Crossing.

How does it compare to the original Evil Genius?

I’m afraid I didn’t really play the original.

-Tom

RPS review by Brendan. Somewhat down on the campaign, especially the missions side of things, which was the main weak point of the original too. But he likes the sandbox more.

Scores have, let’s say, amplitude. From two 10s and two 9s to a few 6/10s.

Even the 6/10 reviews make me want to play this with lines like:

Evil Genius 2: World Domination has a certain nostalgic charm, and not just because of its retro 007 stylings. It feels like something you might have found on your dad or friend’s computer back in the Windows 3.1 era and sunk a few diverting hours into.

How slow are decryptions these days on a slow ryzen?

15 GBs will take about 7 minutes to download.

It’s unlocked. Very cruel to do so in the middle of a work day.

You cannot destroy rooms, but you can overwrite them with another type! (in case you made them too big)

Enjoyed playing the tutorial. I wish you could do sandbox but also pick the difficulty level…so unlimited funds but also harder or easier enemies.

Can’t you fill rooms with dirt, which effectively destroys them? It’s the first build option on the left, I believe.

-Tom

Why would I build dirt!? Okay, yes you are right.

Played a few hours and love it so far. Captures the style and spirit of the original perfectly while adding some small things here and there and polishing up others. Exactly what I wanted and I loved the first one a lot as my avatar shows.

Just messing around with the tutorial so far but it hits the aesthetic, so I’m hopeful!

Update: Jiminy Christmas, this tutorial is long af.

Played a few hours last night, got to the start of the henchman recruitment side story. It does feel like things take longer than they need to, and at least so far the world map layer doesn’t particularly better than the original, but otherwise I’m enjoying it a lot and looking forward to more serious agent intrusions. It definitely feels like Evil Genius.

I ran into a bug with a conference table mission.
The fix was to turn it off and on again…

I can’t figure out how to get more henchmen. The missions imply I can do so somehow. I guess I will keep playing.

Minion screen. Click workers. An option to purchase some will appear.

Oops, you said henchmen. Those come from side missions you get as the story goes on.

Yeah I think I killed a few by mistake. When you capture them I guess you’re supposed to do a special interrogation instead to recruit them?

After playing through the tutorial and getting myself in an untenable position (I never noticed that lockers increased your minion count) I was ready to slag on this game. Then I started a new map/genius with a bit of knowledge and it was five hours later when I looked up, so it’s definitely got some hooks. Not sure if I had fun, but I couldn’t look away.