Facebook changes their name. How Meta is that?

Meh…ta

My god, he’s boring.

Is this gonna be like the “Alphabet” thing where nobody gives a shit?

tbf, a lot of his compute power is probably tied up in keeping the skinsuit intact.

I like the new name. With modern VR headsets you can really see the seeds of a “Metaverse” are being planted. It makes me very excited about the future of the Internet and our interaction with it. Very cool!

I don’t understand why Facebook Meta seems to be so hated in the US when compared to other social media platforms. They don’t seem to be doing anything that’s very different to Twitter, Reddit et al.

notsureifserious.gif

Yes, it won’t matter until the US government comes by to break them up.

Don’t worry, I hate twitter enough for everybody. I can provide a serious but utterly unscientific answer for you, though: nobody really cares about Reddit anymore, its time in the sun as a tastemaker is over (at most it gets a desultory fist shake now and then for “harboring hate groups” by, e.g. giving incels a place to be sorry for themselves out loud, but most of that has been purged); as for twitter vs facebook, the simple, real answer is that twitter is the platform of media liberals while facebook is the platform of conservative boomers.

As much as the right likes to pretend that Twitter silences them, they don’t. They are there and strong on Twitter. It’s just that on Twitter, it is easy to conform it to what you want from it to be. There is almost no politics on my Twitter feed, it’s pretty easy to curate it to whatever experience you want. FB on the other hand, there is always someone that is a “friend” who won’t shut up about their politics.

This was my thinking too. Surely this is a false perception/projection though. Looking at (first hit on a Google search) metrics. Facebook has 2.9 BILLION monthly users. There’s gotta be a lot of media liberals in there too.

I didn’t say anything about silencing. The point is that media (and academy) liberals are overwhelmingly not just on twitter but rabidly so. This is why it gets next to no attacks in the media. They live on twitter, and they feel like they have some control over it because they can often complain to the manager and get people suspended or banned. Plus having a blue check makes them feel special.

@draxen if they’re even on Facebook it’s in an obligatory way. There’s no real engagement there, unlike twitter which they post on constantly.

Is there stats on that? I have stumbled into right wing twitter, maybe they can’t complain to management, but there is a lot of them.

And no attacks on Twitter in the media? Maybe not as much as FB, but Twitter is constantly being brought up as a horrible place in the media.

I just don’t think you can generalize Twitter like that, it’s full of everything. I am not saying anything about silencing, I am saying it’s easy to stereotype it because it’s easy to not see the other side.

You are consistently misunderstanding what I am saying, even though I clarified. I am not saying “twitter is composed entirely or even mostly of media liberals,” I am saying, “media liberals, almost without exception, are habitual twitter users”. Of course there are no stats, and I have to admit I rolled my eyes (mentally!) at the request. If you spend any time at all as a media observer it is completely obvious. When I say media I mean of course the national media, the media based more or less entirely in NYC and DC, the ones who matter now. Probably your local reporter is still on Facebook but really who cares.

I get your point. I just think you are wrong. You are letting your hatred for it cloud your judgement.

I guess part of my disconnect from the current zeitgeist (that Facebook is evil) is because I view them as a corporation with global interests and userbase. So while they may have more right-wing users actively participating on their platform in the US (which is skewing perception?) this isn’t necessarily mirrored in other countries.

I don’t have any data to support this, but I think Facebook has been linked to multiple international issues around promoting nationalistic or right-wing governments. The examples that immediately come to mind are Myanmar (where it was linked to ethnic cleansing and support for the military dictatorship), India (where it was linked to support for Modi and his nationalist Hindus), Brexit in the UK, Trump in the USA, etc. Were there just one example, it might not be seen the same way, but it seems like Facebook is linked to people doing terrible stuff time after time after time (which may just come with a much broader reach).

Twitter, OTOH, hasn’t really been linked to events in the same way. Aside from the Arab Spring, I don’t think I’ve heard people linking Twitter to much of anything significant in terms of national movements.