Fallout 4

Sim Settlements has a recently added option that lets you pick a city plan and be done with it. I believe it’s called Rise of the Commonwealth. You can help them along by dropping off scrap, but otherwise they’ll take care of everything and you can forget about the insanely fiddly, annoying building system. A few people have uploaded their own city plans to Nexus Mods and as time goes by I’m sure lots more will be added, which will let you customize the look to a certain degree.

Yeah, I have that installed, just haven’t figured out how to actually do that.

City Planner’s Desk, I believe. It’s been a while since I’ve built one, but it’s somewhere in the construction options.

Did/does anyone else have a problem with Fallout 4 crashing on zoning? I was having a really good time with F4 until I started getting really frequent crashes on zone. I tried deleting saves, changing drivers, etc, nothing seemed to work. Was wondering if there has been an update/driver issue that’s maybe been solved, as I’d love to revisit this with some mods.

Building settlements is a pain in the ass, but you need to learn a little of it because later in the game the ability to build something becomes important. Kind of a weak part of the game, especially when it seems certain locations aren’t as builder friendly as others for that important build.

I didn’t have any crashing problems with this game.

Have they fixed it since release at all. I remember how damn frustrating it was to fit wall panels together, especially corners. I rage quit over it a couple of times.

No, they definitely didn’t fix walls connecting. I can’t say if it’s better, obviously, but that has been the biggest struggle for me since I’ve actually gotten the hang of building. Well, that and not being able to contour to the ground properly, so I have some walls semi-floating and others sunken into the ground.

Despite the silliness that is settlement building, the thing I love most about the open-world FOs is playing a stealthy sniper (similarly with the ES games). Melee or close-up firing becomes such a flail-fest for me that I never really enjoy it, but sniping feels like I’m using some skill, especially on moving targets.

I don’t know if got better at it or more patient but by the end of the game I had no trouble. But I also didn’t do anything elaborate. Now I didn’t play the game at first release so they may have fixed any major problems before I played.

I did have trouble putting together the generators etc you need to do in order to get into a certain area. The first place I tried to build it just wouldn’t work, so I tried another place and had no trouble.

New free fan mod adds another area and some quests.

Actually, it’s supposedly bigger than any expansion had has over 20 quests.

Oh hey another Fallout 4 Mod!

It all looks good - just like the other Mods of that nature - but let me know when it’s out. Until then, it’s just a giant cock-tease. Gotten excited for stuff like this too many times before only to never see it come out.

Are any of these mods able to (eventually) be played on the Xbox One?

BigNope for @BigWeather

Ugh, bummer. Is it just Skyrim that lets mods work on consoles? Considering getting the FO4/Skyrim bundle for I think $40 during the sale – still worth it without mods support on FO4? I believe it is the complete version of both.

There’s mods on the consoles - just a very limited number of them. Choose mods from the main menu to see what’s available. At least on XB, using them does disable achievements for the game.

Theoretically XBO should support all mods, unlike PS4. But that’s if the mod makers want to do the extra work, I imagine.

Subject to content restrictions, as no R-rated mods allowed, etc.

I’m finally getting around to doing the DLC for FO4. Have to say, I’m annoyed about what the game tries to force you to do. In Nuka-World, there was no way I was helping any of the raiders so I ended up killing everyone. A stealthy sniper trying to enter one of the strongholds and surviving the onslaught, especially with the Pack, was one tough bit of gaming. Clearly, that DLC was set up so that you should have helped them. I was more than happy to finally move on after finishing everything I could in the area; such a slog.

Going after the Mechanist, at the end, was bothersome because it forced me to have a companion (I took Ada), even though I played the entire game solo and had Lone Wanderer perks to allow me to carry stuff. The reason I dislike having a companion is that it doesn’t help a stealthy sniper to have your companion rush at everything they see and get in your line-of-sight or otherwise stand right in front of you like they are attached to your head. So grateful that’s over and done with.

And then I went off to Far Harbour and they tried to force another companion on me. I thought I’d better read if I need to take him or not (the game suggests I do) and it turns out that it’s Nick that’s important and totally recommended to have along. Hello! Lone Wanderer here. FFS. I turned around and headed back to the Commonwealth for some time until I feel like doing yet another DLC that’s going to annoy me. Gah.

So about Far Harbour, is it really necessary/important to have Nick along? Can I go solo and not miss out on too much?