Fallout 4

Please note, that there will be conflicts between some of these, so you’ll need to look carefully at the descriptions and read the individual mod forum to see what works with what. There are also patches that enable some to work together. Let me know if you need any advice or assistance.

That said, I don’t care for Fusion City Rising, or other mods by that author such as Project Valkyrie or Outcasts and Remnants. Many people love them but IMO, they are just too lore breaking and over the top for me. It’s just a matter of taste, YMMV.

Good to know; seems like it’s an either/or with those mods and a couple others. I’m pushing for as much “story” as I can get on this run-through, and something too out of left-field could kill my goal.

I almost like Project Valkyrie and Outcasts and Remnants (I’ve never tried Fusion City Rising). I don’t mind the lore issues but it leans too heavily on a teen sensibility. Plus the loot tends to be too much.

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/jfwd8PsUw8r3pKrO1wOc5/fallout25-conclusion-interviews-events-perks

Prepare for the future: A next-gen update is coming to Fallout 4! Coming in 2023, this free update will be available for Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5 and Windows PC systems, including performance mode features for high frame rates, quality features for 4K resolution gameplay, bug fixes and even bonus Creation Club content!

That is interesting, I was just toying with the idea of finally playing through Fallout 4. Maybe I should just wait for some spiffy new graphics.

Wonder how many mods will be broken by the update.

I doubt it’ll amount to much on PC. On console, yeah, I’d wait.

This is likely the first of many, many many, (imagine 10,000 more manys) Fallout 4 re-releases, but higher framerates on PS5/XSX are a big deal.

So Fallout 4: Anniversary Edition. Nice to have a repeat of the mod-scene meltdown of Skyrim:AE.

So after owning the GOTY Edition of Fallout 4 for years and never playing, I finally decided to fire this up a week ago, and now I’m hooked hard.

I had a crapton of issues with crashing to desktop in the first few days of playing. It got so bad and was so random that I almost abandoned the game. But I found some posts on the Steam forums and Reddit that talked about how the game’s memory management used a combination of available RAM and writes to disk, and if you were running on an SSD with no pagefile defined in Windows, the game could and would crash often in random places. So I created a small pagefile on the C: SSD, and lo and behold, the crashing pretty much ceased.

By then I had decided to start over with a few QoL mods installed, namely the Unofficial Patch for obvious reasons, Better Maps because the base game maps are terrible, Achievements Enabled, Everyone’s Best Friend (allows Dogmeat + Follower), Lowered Weapons (puts weapons in a resting position when not in use), Full Dialog (so much nicer conversation trees), and FallUI (WOW! The difference in the inventory and Pip Boy interfaces are insane!). I’ve played with that configuration all the way back to where I was originally (reached Diamond City, cleared most of the area around Sanctuary down to Lexington / Corvega Plant). Only one crash in all that time, and that was after I left the game paused in the ESC menu for nearly an hour when I got distracted doing something else.

I’ve barely scratched the surface of Fallout 4 and already it’s got its hooks in me as bad or worse than Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Not sure why I waited so long to play it, and now I’m kinda dismayed that it appears a big overhaul is coming soon. I do not want to have to start over when that happens.

Interesting, I didn’t know you could setup Windows to have no page file. Doesn’t that cause all kinds of stuff to crash, not just Fallout 4?

What’s this now? From Bethesda? Or from modders?

Nope. In the early days of SSD drives it was common practice to tell Windows NOT to use a swap/pagefile or redirect it to use a SATA platter drive because all that reading/writing would reduce the lifespan of the SSD. Now that SSD technology has matured and most computers come with enough memory that the system would rarely need to use a swap/pagefile, it’s not as detrimental. I’d been getting by without one for several years, up until Fallout 4 that is.

Bethesda. Taken from @Telefrog’s article by Bethesda on Fallout 76’s anniversary posted above:

Yeah, I’ve been holding off starting a Fallout 4 run until the next gen update comes along. Hopefully I can do that before Starfield releases.

I only played Fallout 4 for about 50 hours, so I didn’t get to explore too much of the map. I got a pretty good idea of what the game is like, and I really enjoyed my 50 hours, so I think I’m happy to just leave it there. In an era of massive triple-A backlogs, I’m not too worried about being a completionist anymore, although I did enjoy finishing every last thing in Fallout 3 along with all DLC. But I did that because I had just been laid off from my job, which is why I had the time to be able to do that.

So I likely won’t come back to Fallout 4 even after the upgrade.

But I have yet to play Fallout New Vegas, so I do need to get to that. That’s a big one on my triple A backlog.

I replayed FO 4 last year. I think these games have a lot of replay ability. This game does have the annoying settlement stuff but you can ignore it if you want.

There are two specific mods I’d love to have on XSX: no settlements, and silent Raiders. God, I loathe hearing, “Huh!!! Must be the Jet…” or whatever shit it is they constantly mutter while you’re approaching.

All the Starfield chat made me fire this back up. After a few bounces it sucked me in today for four hours or so. One thing I noticed is that load times are silly long considering my current 3080 PC should seem like alien technology to this game, but it still takes 30 seconds to walk back out into the world.

That said, still great. I went with 8 points in Perception and Luck and Charisma, give or take and just tanked the other stats. It’s providing some interesting changes.

I’ve been waiting for the ever-elusive next-gen upgrade.

Heh, I get that. I’ve found oddly that Alt-Tabbing out of FO4 and back in seems to break whatever navel gazing it is doing during the loading screens. It also, 3 out of 5 times, resets the resolution such that I have to quit back out of the whole game to reset it. It’s honestly pretty weird that a AAA game from 2015 or so wasn’t patched enough to fix this. I went on a nostalgia walk back through the thread and someone mentioned how the quarry next to Sanctuary was massively bugged graphically. In 2023, fresh download from Steam, it’s still just as bugged. Unexpected.