Fallout 76 - Multiplayer, online, BGS Austin

My MO has been to buy one month of Fallout 1st, play a lot of it, and then cancel. Six or twelve months later, do the same. Etc.

That’s what I do too. I enjoy playing it “single player” - so it’s worth it to clear my game world of the unwashed masses (and the unlimited crafting storage).

I don’t play on a solo server though because I like looking at other players’ dwellings and shopping at their vendors. I don’t really play it much any more though, as I’ve been through the leveling process several times and the end game always bores me.

FO76 is a good game, and it serves well as FO5. The world and the quests are very much worth a run-through. In the end, though, it becomes the same as most MMO’s – daily grinds for currencies and occasional ‘event’ content that gets stale fairly fast.

I’ve reinstalled FO4 and the “Magnum Opus” modlist (wabbajack is amazing). Moddability and the mod community are what really gives these games legs, and that’s one thing FO76 will never have.

For sure. It’s why I’m disappointed that they went with a MMO kind of model with Fallout 76. I’ve been wanting a co-op Bethesda game since forever, but MMO isn’t what I had in mind.

I just want to play Skyrim or Fallout 4 with a friend and explore the cool worlds they build. No dealing with random strangers, no MMO grinds or timegates or raids or anything else like that. Just Skyrim with a buddy. Alas, I don’t think I’m ever going to get it since the direction they took was Elder Scrolls Online and Fallout 76. Boo.

Just as a side note, if you were to post about such a thing, I know one person who would be very interested in reading your thoughts. The person in question spent a ton of time in a heavily modded copy of Fallout: New Vegas, and he would be interested in reading about your experiences in a modded version of Fallout 4. Just sayin’. :)

So I couldn’t log into FO76 today. There was an error about gamepass, which appears to be the FO76 exe. Maybe? Anyway, I spent about three hours trying to fix it. No joy.

Ultimately I uninstalled it and am re-installing now. 90 gb.

90 fucking gb.

On 15 gb so far. It may be downloading for another 10 hours.

Fuck me.

Then I get the new laptop and do it again.

Did I say fuck me?

Think of the positives: new laptop! Exciting!

I enjoyed my time with Fallout 76, which came after they added NPC’s and a number of story expansions. Never got griefed, found a lot of great people who helped me early on, and returned the favor to newbies I met. But I was very disappointed with the new Pitt Expedition, - I thought it was going to be a new story/NPC expansion, and instead it was just more opportunities for MMO grinding, not at all what I and most other people wanted or expected. Very disappointing. But the rest of the game was fun, and Bethesda does the best environmental storytelling.

Truedat.

Finally installed. The wife closed my laptop in the middle of the download so it continued this morning. I was… perturbed.

Update today.

Guess what? If you accidentally click on the update button in the middle of an update THE GAME IS FUCKING UNINSTALLED!!! I have to do another 90GB download. I am furious.

You must be comfortable with poor quality control already, right? You play F76.

I would be furious too but you have to admit that’s so on-brand it’s kind of hilarious. :)

Sorry about your misfortune, buddy.

I get your point. Imagine me, looking at the folder that the game is supposed to be in, seeing that it’s empty. Searching my comp for some kind of .exe. Nothing. So of course I go to search for a solution. In the middle of a Microsoft thread some MS guy, a ‘solution guy’ casually throws out, 'oh, by the way, if you accidentally click on the update button in the MS store, it uninstalls the game to prevent it from being a corrupt file’.

The fuck? The other night my wife closed the laptop. And it picked up mid install. So what is the issue? It can restart an install, but not an update? This is purely on MS. Not Bethesda.

I hope there is a way to connect my MS store version to Steam. For updates. But you know? I doubt it.

Oooh, I didn’t realize this was from the MS store, I was picturing it updating in a FO76 launcher.

I really like having access to Game Pass games across PC and Xbox and stuff like that, but it’s kind of incredible what a piece of shit Microsoft’s apps are on PC. I had to format and reinstall Windows because the Xbox app refused to give up something like 600GB of HD space in a folder that was locked down like I had never seen.

Just really incredible incompetence from Microsoft of all companies on something as basic as downloading (and uninstalling) files.

So I got it installed and everything was fine. I went online to check it out after 8 hours of downloading. All okay.

The next day I was going to play and the exe was missing. Turns out that my antivirus app put it in quarantine. After I had already played it. How the fuck does that work?

Anyway, it’s fixed. For now.

Then I got this from the Scoreboard.

It’s amazing.

But I guess that I’m the only one playing this? Anyway.

This shotgun and the Nuka Launcher AGL

Are the only two weapons that I need. Along with the

Which I finally got enough black titanium to finish building.

Anyone else playing this?

::crickets::

I haven’t played in a while, though once in a blue moon I reinstall (which as you know can be a PITA).

Bumping this thread because I have it on good authority someone on Qt3 has been playing lately and selfishly not telling us whether it holds up. I’m not going to name any names, but if I did, it might be @RichVR.

At least post a screenshot of your character!

Tom Chick, ladies and gentlemen, Tom Chick! Thank you for the intro, Tom.

Seriously though, Ed, (Carson joke) I really like the game. For a long time, and you can find it if you search, I have always replied to posts about FO 76 with, Is it free yet?

And then it was. Yay! On Amazon Prime. Yay! On the Microsoft Store. Boo!

I downloaded the 95 gigs overnight.

I was actually amazed about how great this game had become. I was hooked. This is the Fallout 5 I was looking for. And I do not say that lightly. If I had gotten it near or at launch I would have treated it like Anarchy Online. A while trying broken shit. And bouncing.

Instead I ordered a full year of Fallout 1st. It gives you QOL stuff, but not game breaking stuff.

Anyway, let us talk about the issues with updates, if you have it from the MS store.

It fucks up every update. It essentially breaks the .exe for the game. So each update I have to delete game files and re-install it.

95 gigs. Every time. Fuck this.

Yet I do it. It’s that good.

Back to you @tomchick !

F76 is actually pretty good now, definitely. I preferred it before the NPCs, as the feeling of being in a haunted wasteland was kind of cool and special. Adding actual NPCs who you had only heard on logs before sort of ruined the effect, but eh, not a huge deal by then.

The only thing I don’t like much is what I loathe in all of these sorts of games, end-game grinding and daily “quests” needed to generate resources/currency.