Fallout 76 - Multiplayer, online, BGS Austin

Well I only know Jason M. As Tom’s friend here. But he ran through why Fallout 76 doesn’t seem to add up.

I dunno seems like the game is a bit of a stretch. Plus I just wonder:

In case you actually don’t know what it means - most multiplayer games work by having the client (your computer) tell the server what you want to do, and the server processes it along with everyone else and then tells your computer the new state of the world. Your PC tells the server “I want to walk forward from point 0,0” and the server says “ok, you’re at 1,0 now”. This means the server controls how everything works.

In F76, at least according to this article, what happens is that the client does a thing and then tells the server its state, and the server just syncs everyone up. Your PC tells the server “I moved to point 1,0” and the server tells everyone else about it. But if there’s no validation, you could also tell the server “I moved to point 50, 50 and also I have 3000 HP and a tac-nuke now” and the server tells everyone else about it.

Ahhh. Thank you so much for the explanation. So that explains the potential for cheating.

From what I’ve been reading, the client side doesn’t seem like it has control over loot, so I don’t know that someone can just give themselves mini-nukes. Seems like they must have spent some passing thought on server validation and then given up. As I understand it, most multiplayer FPS games do allow the client to do some of the detailed physics work but the good ones then validate and override the gross physics on the server. F76 devs must have decided that was too hard.

I would be completely unconcerned about the network setup if I could just play this with my friends? If I’m forced to play with pubbies the game is going to die a fiery death.

What does this have to do with how you need to design your client-server architecture?!

Yes, that is the rubberbanding effect. Movement is calculated locally because doing it synchronously with a server would introduce latency problems, and the server checks your position every so often. If you move in a way that shouldn’t be possible, the server rubberbands you back.

Anyway, F76 doesn’t do that.

@KevinC: He was just trolling.

Yes, I was yanking stusser’s chain. I would have thought that was kind of obvious.

You know you’re on the Internet, right? ;) I’ve seen arguments over things far more silly!

Nah, we were just having fun with it!

Anyway, I see I missed McMaster’s stream so I need to catch a YouTube replay to see what got him so turned against the game.

“Many of the claims in the thread are either inaccurate or based on incorrect assumptions. The community has however called to attention several issues that our teams are already actively tracking and planning to roll out fixes for. Our goal is always to deliver a great experience for all our players. Cheating or hacking will not be tolerated. We know our fan base is passionate about modding and customizing their experience in our worlds and it’s something we intend to support down the road.”

I have seen games with better security where cheaters/griefers found a way to kill everyone on the server. Or change other people stash.

So what can do here? a engine designed to be modificable, that is release unprotected to the public, on a world of griefers and cheaters, highly motivated.

I don’t care all that much because I will play on PS4, so I will not have to deal much with this.

Who sinks 4,000 hours into a game? I mean, a decade of some MMO, maybe, but 4,000 in a game from three years ago?

Catasses and poopsockers.

Any game with a comprehensive construction kit

Especially when said person is a modder.

They do a lot of QA personally.