Far Cry 3 may be good, but it's a far cry from Far Cry 2

Do you know what's odd? At the launch time, people kept saying how Far Cry 2 might be good but was not really a sequel to Far Cry proper.

Many good points in this review. I like all Far Cry games, but they never seem to nail it 100%. They add some really good stuff, but have some really annoying stuff. Then they remove that annoying stuff but instead add some other new even more annoying stuff!. I just dont get some of the design decisions they make.

For example I am glad they removed the respawning chekpoints from Far Cry 2, but I cant understand why they removed one of the best design parts from it, the map from Far Cry 3. It is just insane. I wonder if it is the same retard designer who thought it was a good idea to build such a beutiful living world and then clutter it all with a terrible HUD and blinking bodies and flowers. Thank good I played it on PC with a modified haxed dll file that removed all the HUD elements and blinking stuff or it would have been unplayable for me.

It is just insane how they can make so many things right, and at the same time screw up so much. The Far Cry games are amazing, but with some design changes that does not seem to be made by a drunk monkey they could be true masterpieces.

Metacritic provides that, "On average, this publication grades 10.5 points lower than other critics. (0-100 point scale)."

Far Cry is far cry from far cray 2 but in a positive light.

Wow, never realized there were so many people here who gargle on Tom's balls.

Far Cry 2 was terrible. It wasn't terrible because it wasn't packed with enough action; it was terrible because you had a main character dying of malaria, weapons that magically rusted and fell apart in mere minutes, terrible AI, and a host of other bad game design decisions.

Oh God, not another "I've been gaming since the dawn of time" hipster stroking his e-peen about how good things were "back in the mythical good old days."

I've been gaming since the 1980s, jackass, and you know what? There were good games then, and there are good games now. Your smug posturing does nothing but make you look like a pompous jerk picking fights in the one place he can win them: the internet.

You're too kind. I'm on the verge of quitting because of the damn constant jumping puzzles; maybe it's easy to jump on consoles but with a keyboard it is really aggravating, causing all sorts of wasted time over trivial crap. And what about the great pixel hunts to find the one sweet spot where you do something-- even in the damn menus! Far Cry 2's combat was even better.

I will agree strongly that Far Cry 3 is a better game. But why not, it devoured a whopping four years for its development. It is not made from scratch. Far Cry 2 was original, Far Cry 3 is not. It is an improvement over the previous. But some people can also say that they are more intelligent than Newton because they know from their childhood why an apple falls to ground. :) This is funny.

Far Cry 2 was a masterpiece for its time, with its graphics teeming with sheer excellence. I can easily say Far Cry 3 is not what Far Cry 2 was 4 years ago.

But by that, I do not say that Far Cry 2 is better. Actually, Far Cry 3 is way better than Far Cry 2 - meaning if you get to select one between the two, select FC3.

But I feel that Ubisoft could have made the game much better by not forcing us to pause the game to see the map, by continuing to allow random outpost spawning in a better way (may be keeping an option at games start or relating it with the difficulty setting you select).

Today, FC2 is available 4 times cheaper than FC3. And I feell, at least FC3 is not four times better than FC2.

Have you seen the difference between Assassin's Creed 1 and 2. That is called improvement. Borderlands 1 and 2 - that is evolution... making every aspect better.

1214NM4321

nachiketa_omATrediffmailDOTcom

But basically, in the hostile situation portrayed in these games, you have to be a Rambo to survive. And that what all video gaming is about. Apart from being Rambo, there is one other option, of course - :)) Restarting from the checkpoint.
1214NM4321

Far Cry 2 sucked. The story was incomprehensible and the AI always knew where you were - it honestly felt like YOU VS AFRICA. I just LOVED getting jumped every 3 seconds by a hum-vee of hostiles, although the game play was pretty good besides that. The malaria thing was kind-of dumb, and I hated how your partners were just 'partners' with no real bearing on the story. Couldn't understand in either game why the villains wanted you dead so bad.

Far Cry 3's AI was a lot better(very enjoyable), and for the most part very consistent, The story was kinda stupid too, I hated all the good guys(including Jason) and hated all the bad guys too, except Vaas. The gameplay was marvelous and the open-world was a lot of fun to explore, although having NOTHING TO DO ONCE YOU BEAT THE GAME made exploration stupid and pointless past that point. The plot felt rushed and honestly I chalk Jason's success up to dumb luck - this idiot walks into every trap and somehow manages to not die.

I love farcry 2, thanks for the tip

Far Cry 2 is a difficult game designed to challenge men.

This new shit is for little kids and pussies.

A lot of hate here...
Personally I like the far cry series of games.
For me it's the fairly relaxed game play I enjoy. Don't get me wrong, I love the mayhem which is why I play lots of battlefield 3, but sometimes you just want a chilled out rpg style game. I'm not a fan of fantasy games, or assassins creed style sword fighting...give me a gun and I'm happy, so I play far cry 3 when I don't want the mayhem of epic battles, just the occasional "of crap there's a tiger pouncing on me!!!" :-)
My vote is Far Cry 3 is a good game, but like all games it has flaws in the eyes of the critics. I agree it does have flaws and it was never intended as a sequal to far cry 2...far cry is the setting, not the story, hence why each game has had a similar setting, but each following different people.
As for the similarities to assassins creed, with the radio towers, as tedious as it is to climb them, I like the concept of having the map uncovered by "seeing it from above"...kinda like drawing the map yourself, from the in game characters perspective.

Great review. I would add that the game has shockingly inconsistent graphics. The underwater moments and character (hands/guns) look marvelous, but walking through a jungle (on the 360, at least) reminds me of Wolfenstein 3D. There are distracting, thin textures and odd angles everywhere, which you just don't see in other "AAAs". You can immerse in Skyrim or Columbia, because they are "worlds", but Far Cry 3 is a "gamey" long before you get to the menu tedium.

Without being too harsh, this is the worst type of game: an unfinished, B-level creation priced at the A-level. It's got a lot going for it, but it's still a scam.

The game is called far cry so each game is a far cry from the other (pun intended) and I like it that way

Far cry 2 did not suck, it was made for people who use their fucking brains.

You could do each mission with a variety of ways. Something that fc3 not only does not have, but its scripted to the bone. Also the guns were varied and balanced and you had to work for em, fc3 gives you freely guns and each one is better tha nthe previous.

The story was hard to understand but it was hands down far better than most games outhere, it was philosophical i guess you didnt get that. Also jackal>vass, just listne to the audio logs.

The ai sucked for stealth but it was far better for action.

"The gameplay was marvelous and the open-world was a lot of fun to explore"

You are incorrect, the gameplay was average and the open world was EMPTY with repettive crap so it was NOT fun to explore.

I dissagree, fc2 was unique open world game. FC3 was a linear mission with cover based shooting and a huge yet empty map with very little enemy encounters nd no reason to explore since the game gave you guns freely and enough money to buy the whole fucking island.

Far cry 2 was awesome, you just retarded

"because you had a main character dying of malaria, weapons that magically rusted and fell apart in mere minutes, terrible AI,"

You could NEVER ever die from malaria. Weapons did not rust if you bought them, they took ages to rust if you bought them instead of stealing them from enemies. The ai sucked ONLY on stealth, on action it was pretty damn smart.

" Far Cry 3 is wicked good'

Well morons like you would act like that, true.