Far Cry 3 may be good, but it's a far cry from Far Cry 2

This is the most poorly written review I have ever read that I would have expected this down here in the comments section. There is too much speculation, assumption and alienation in this review that there is not enough information about Far Cry 3. Whether this review gave Far Cry 3 a low or high praise there is no credibility to be found here.

Absolutely

There is nothing arbitrary about it. Do you know what an outlier is with regards to statistics? They are disregarded and given no value other than the mention of their worthlessness somewhere in the fine print. The range of this game on metacritic, whether you agree with metacritic or not, is 80-100. 3/5 or 60/100, whatever you want to call it, is way outside that range which means it might as well be ignored.

Was that before you dropped out from Mount San Jacinto College? At least the people you attempt to insult are capable of using language in a proper manner instead of sounding like they have a mouth and head full of gravel.

Honestly i read down to the second or third paragraph and cant read your rant on how pausing the game takes away from the enjoyment. Terrible to even bring that up in a review... I mean Seriously it wasn't intended to be a sequel.

In order for a game or movie to considered a sequel it actually has to be a continuation of the series. Are you trying to say Far Cry 3 is exactly like Far Cry 2 and that's why it's a sequel? Or are you going to contradict your own argument by saying how it has deviated from Far Cry 2 to become something else, such as you state in your review? I'm just trying to comprehend your approach to why such controversial rating. Are you calling it a sequel because it still retains certain aspects of Far Cry 2? Can't be the story line, it has nothing to do with the previous Far Cry games.

Never insinuated you stirred controversy to bring more traffic to your page. Are you admitting to one of your motives?

Did you ever stop while writing your review and thought to yourself: "How *has* Far Cry 3 changed from Far Cry 2?"

This is the best review of Tom Chick I've ever read. I'm a little upset though that you scored him significantly lower than Time Magazine did, so any value your review may hold is instantly nullified. And I hate you for it

"just cause you do something for a long time doesn't make you good at it."

Actually....?

10,000 hours.

Wait, people thought that was a shark jump? Crap. I'm no longer as cool as I used to think I was. Thanks for the heads up though.

Never played Far Cry 2 but after playin 3 over last week, I have to say its my GotY. Just conquered my last outpost/SD card last night. Got all the gear upgrades. Love the hunting quests. Still got a few assassination tasks to perform but gonna go back n finish main story 1st. There are lots of skill upgrades that are all optional... Just Ignore the ones you don't want to use. Moaning about it seems petty. Did you moan about Zelda or arkham city coz you paused to view the map? The 2 bosses are both bonkers nasty and great fun. The acquisition of the squirrel suit half way in is brilliant - great for a quick escape maneuver off a mountain peek. Really enjoying it. Not saying your review isn't justified as, by the sound of it, your not enjoying it that much. I'm having a whale of a time.

because it gives someone a quick and easy idea of how ALL reviewers feel about a game and when this douchebag gives it a lower score, the overall is brought down. THATS why

But... You wrote "I'll tell you what is redundant" and then went on a rant that contained something that wasn't redundant. I suspect your high school English teacher is most disappointed in you right now.

Why should an outlier be ignored? What quality does an average of numbers which are arbitrarily assigned, and do not fool yourself into thinking ANY of these numeric assignments mean a damn thing, that would cause you to believe that only values that fall in an arbitrarily narrow range are only worthy of consideration? You are a guardian of an empty variable. Your crusade is a waste of time. And your mother dresses you funny.

So Far Cry 3 isn't a sequel to Far Cry 2? News to me. And Ubisoft. And everyone else who knows what words mean.

Also, the only thing controversial about my rating -- basically, a convenient numeric shorthand to indicate that I liked the game -- is that it pisses off people who get pissed off about numbers that fall outside the 7-9 range they associate with being told how smart they were or weren't when they were children in school.

LOL FC2 is horrible. They improved on it in every way. If you seriously think FC2 is better, then I feel bad for your pee-brained ideas.

So by ALL, you mean all the ones whose opinions you generally like? Since that's a pretty hard thing to ask, since MetaCritic doesn't really know what you like, wouldn't it be simpler to find a few reviewers you generally trust and read those guys instead?

Or maybe you'd prefer something like Amazon, where you rate everything you've played and then Amazon recommends games that it thinks you would like? It sounds like you're expecting MetaCritic to be centered around you rather than an averaging of ALL critics opinions (which, I think, is a pretty silly thing to try to do anyway).

How do you explain the difference between Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy X-2?

I can only assume the story here was written as a joke. There is some attempt at parody here, but I'm not sure about what. The alternative is that this is one of the worst story modes ever created. It's so terrible it reminds me of the ending of Path of Neo. There's a joke I'm not getting here, and I suspect it's the people like me playing through this crap.

Vas is not well written or interesting character; he's a tedious plot device who appears to pad out the game by pushing you down the snake after you've climbed the ladder. It's just awfuel linear game design.
The characterisation all around is dreadful. it's beyond two dimensional. You rescue Oliver and the payoff is a reunion that makes Bill and Ted look sane. It's as if someone dubbed Deliverance with jersey shore.

The island isn't a sandbox, you can't do what you like. You can liberate outposts, which is reasonably entertaining, you can do races or shooting challenges, or you can indulge the Rakyat in personal quests that are as dull as hell, mostly fetch quests.
The Skills are half redundant and useless, much like most of the weapons. Stealth is reasonably entertaining, but like most of the game gets repetitive. Halfway through the game, you've seen it all.
The biggest problem with the gameplay, aside from it's total lack of polish and the ropey controls, is that it comes with a lot of in built tedium. The menu system, the travelling, the interaction buttons...it's just utterly tedious and a real chore.
Frankly I'm gobsmacked at the high praise this game has gotten. It has no charm or atmosphere at all. The island has no personality and the Rakyat just seem like assholes. Fortunately the white man saves the day.

I have no beef with people that enjoy any game, but don't pretend this is the second coming, because it really isn't.

Nah bro, he gave it a 1/5. Completely different.

I agree with everything that is said about farcry 2 in this review.I really liked how you never felt safe, your guns were unreliable, i also didn't have a problem with the re-spawning enemys, If anything i looked forward to it! because they were tough! and they would hunt you down and chase and flank you, unlike 90% of fps games "cough call of duty",

However, the problem i had with far cry 2 was that it lasted far too long for a game that made you do almost identical missions every time in the same surroundings, don't get me wrong the game world was highly immersive, but after a while it just felt too repetative, With a single player game lasting 30hours it over stayed its welcome for a game with not enough variety in missions..it made me long to play somthing else after playing it for so long.

There seems to be a lot of bashing with regards to this reviewer, However i get what he is saying with regards to Far cry 3, but he does generally seem to be more critical and less forgiving about things that most people would view as trivialities..But regardless, all in all.. good review