Far Cry 3

Officially unveiled during the UBI E3 press conference today (and discussed in the press conference thread).

Video already up on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc_arVX3G6s

I’m off to reinstall the earlier games . . . ;-)

One thing I immediately took away from the trailer is that the voice acting is markedly better than the last game. Doesn’t take much to do that though.

“The Surprise of the show”. So far that’s pretty much true, if a bit of a sad commentary on everybody else.

Still, looks great, and I loved both the original and 2. As longs as they don’t take away my open world I don’t really care where they go.

Was there any word on what engine it is using?

Wow at the John Rambo moves. Taking the dude’s knife, stabbing him with it then throwing at the other guy. How often may I do such awesome stuff (and how soon might I pay for the privelage)?

Canned stealth kill #3? Or #4 sir? We’ve got a load of those in back so you’re in luck!

Looks pretty great. How awesome would it be if that dude showed up every time you “die” in-game, does a little bit of the insanity thing then tries to kill you in some elaborate way you have to escape from. Kinda like an evolved form of the “you didn’t die, your buddy saved you” from the previous game - except hes trying to murder you in ever more fanciful ways that you have to Houdini out of. <flight of fancy off> WOO Farcry 3!

Won’t it be Dunia, as with FC2?

FarCry 1 still looks pretty good with everything maxed out, actually. Not as textured as a newer game would be, but not bad at all.

Though I do need to go find one of those “save anywhere” mods. I’d forgotten about the savepoint system.

I always used the console. The fact that I had to do it all manually made me try and tough out the situation more frequently rather than resorting to my get out of jail for free quick load hotkey.

Oh, the commands are:

\LOAD_GAME [Gamename] - Loads a previously saved game with the given Gamename.
\SAVE_GAME [Gamename] - Saves the current game with the given Gamename. Use LOAD_GAME to load this game. Can be used for Quicksaving outside of the automatic save points.

You are right, the original Far Cry does hold up surprisingly well. I’d play it except for the Trigens. Fuck them.

Awesome, I hope this means it will be more like the first Far Cry. Of the 5 “Cry” games released, the first one was the only one I loved.

Kind of disappointed that it’s going back to the jungle, just because I liked the setting of Far Cry 2 so much. I’ll probably still buy it day 1, though.

I know I shouldn’t judge at this point, but I was really hoping we’d get a refinement of Far Cry 2 instead of another new direction for the series. I’ll keep my eye on this, but Far Cry 2 is one of my favorite shooters, even with all it’s weird sorta broken aspects. Moving away from that at all is a little disappointing.

I’m kind of disappointed it doesn’t take place in the arctic. I mean, it’s FC. The only recognisable bits are supposed to be shooting & first person perspective. Right? :p

Fuck them indeed. FC2 was a much better game.

Far Cry 2 was about 20 times better than the first one. If there’s any game this should draw from, it’s the sequel.

Funny how the crappy savepoint system is already pissing me off. Thanks for saving right before a moment I have no chance of escaping without serious damage!

Blech.

Glad to see some FC2 love here. I generally only see pissing and moaning when that game gets mentioned. I thought it was amazing and unique.

If they can combine the best aspects of the previous 2 games, this could be something really special.

Early frontrunner for game of show?

Haha, I immediately keyed in on the bad guy to listen for that. He still had a few sentences that were rapid fire. But he’s Hispanic so it makes sense, right? Er…