Fargo the TV miniseries

We know Ed was being tracked by the ‘injun fella’ at the end of the previous episode. Then for him to pop up at the end of this episode being the caller with that important information about Dodd… yeah, something big is up, dontcha know.

This week I was a little bothered by how people slip out of police custody. The Gerhardt girl knees the shit cop so thunderously she can then be kidnapped from the parking lot in a somewhat long scene without that guy being there to see it. Then again, as I’m typing it, she was just being walked out. But Lou letting Ed just run away from him was a little absurd. Guy is sixty pounds overweight, that footrace would have been over and done with in fifty yards or less.

But I’m sympathetic to the writers. Lot of times you want the noose to tighten but not definitively.

I’ve thought about it and I think we’ve established that the Indian killer is wary of killing cops. On separate occasions we’ve seen him knock out one cop and not shoot his prime target because our cop protagonist was there. Then we hear that he killed one cop and severely wounded another but it took place in a different city.
So he has no problem killing cops except for the two leads? What’s up with that?

I don’t think he’s reluctant, but he might have been backed into a corner figuratively speaking, and the situation with Ted Danson was that he was not. It’s also possible they hadn’t intended him to live anyway, but with Dodd getting knocked out and the other two dudes dead/unconscious…

— Alan

He was in the woods with his prime target and the officer who didn’t know for certain that they were being followed. He had a long range weapon. This guy is good, and a trained soldier. He could have easily gunned down the cop and picked off his real unarmed target seconds later. But he didn’t.

I have a feeling that Hanzee’s alliances may be questionable at this point.

Heck, he may even be working for Xenu, considering the UFO subplot.

“Hon, you gotta stop stabbing him.” That scene was hilarious.

Jessen Plemons and especially Kirsten Dunst are really good. That knife scene with her and Dodd was priceless.

So am I not remembering something about Hanzee’s (the Indian) motivation? Isn’t he Dodd’s man? Are we supposed to know why he shot Dodd? I mean, Dodd was an asshole to him, sure, but is Hanzee’s character trait just that he goes around shooting people who are assholes? Or is there something else at stake here? It seems like he’s digging an awfully deep hole for himself and I’m sure if we’re supposed to understand why.

-Tom

Probably shot Dodd because he called him a halfbreed and a mongrel; obviously it’s not something Hanzee took a care for considering what happened earlier. And it was Dodd’s brother who treated him like family, not the other way 'round. Maybe he’s trying to close off some issues… does seem like a setting-off point that was kind of late in the game to bring into the season in order to further the plot, but okay…

The scene that made me laugh so much was afterwards when Dodd had to pee. When Kirsten says she’ll help, both Plemons and Dodd are like, “No!” Too funny.

— Alan

At last, a Blood Simple reference!

(Knife in the hand/foot.)

I don’t think you’re forgetting anything, to me that bar scene was it. All anybody sees is the injun, and he’s had enough.

I liked the point he made of wounding the knees of the barflies, and the bit Dodd said about Samson right before the almost haircut was cool too. It was a good bounceback episode! One piece of nonsense: Ed being able to call Mike at the hotel, because someone ran a story about that.

The turning point was definitely the bar. Previously, Hanzee has lamented the fact that he’s treated like a second class citizen, even though he fought for this country in Vietnam…and with honor, it seems. In this last episode, he gets a series of rapid reminders of this at the bar. That is what set him off, in my opinion. They probably could’ve set up his mounting frustration a little better, but to be fair, Hanzee plays things close to the vest. He definitely is not someone who would constantly complain about his situation.

…until it was too late, that is.

I loved that his response to the realization that he was never going to be seen as anything but a Native American and never simply an American was to get a haircut in order to fit in with those who wouldn’t accept him.

God, I love this show.

this is the best show on television right now

I’m starting to think the actor playing Hanzee needs more screen time on Longmire.

Ooh, he’s on Longmire?

Wait…is he the reservation sheriff?

He is indeed! Zahn McClarnon.

I stopped watching Longmire sometime during season 2. I really should go back and catch up with it.

Hopefully McClarnon will now see some popularity in films. And not just as a character cast for his race. He really is impressive in Fargo as an actor…period.

It’s (fairly) consistently excellent.

Yeah, writers had a problem there that they didn’t fix properly. Still it’s what, late 70s? Makes it a bit more plausible.

Loved Dodd getting stabbed in the foot, his expression was great. Sad to see the character go.

This is the best show on TV and has been outstanding in many ways, but the motivation for Hanzee shooting Dodd was weak.

Did enjoy Plemons and Dunst throughout, especially the stabbing, and the actualizing.