Farming Simulator 22: This time it's seasonal

It’s a self-propelled one. It’s possible this is how they always work. I usually use bales, so I just physically put them in in the right proportions and then hop in the cab. Order doesn’t matter when you do it that way. But with the silo on this map I’m using forage wagons instead and filling directly from it. And noticing the corn stalks icon threw me a bit.

As you’re seeing this in a mixing wagon … no clue. There’s a lot going on for this map to learn.

I’m looking forward to beer and whiskey. And chips.

Another learning! The old “sell your crop to the production and then buy the production and get the crop back” trick doesn’t work with the custom productions.

Ooooh, I didn’t even know about that loophole so never exploited it. I would have though. I still lean on some crutches though. Super strength is a must have. Lumberjack is as well, and the mod that lets me cut any trees or make terrain changes as though I owned the property. Oh, and the one that lets me make said terrain changes for free.

I’ve been known to get pissed off at something like access to a field I’m doing a contract for and pruning trees around the header space and laying a gravel access path in and out, etc. About the only time I’ve abused the no-cost terrain changes was on the base map when I leveled all those areas behind the starter farm, no more stream, no more hills, etc. Most of my changes now are to give myself more space around a field.

Finally got some gaming time and kept going with the Upper Mississippi River Valley map. With hard economy it’s slow and I’m struggling a bit unless I take the occasional contract but I’m -almost- floating now with just my first farm and field. I started by paying off the hard mode loan of 300K, then took my remaining 200K and bought a nice Challenger branded Fendt large tractor that was on sale. With 39mph top speed and a decent amount of horsepower it’ll get me around this map well, even if a bit overkill at first.

Then I added in order:

1. A plow to start taking plowing contracts.
  2. A solid fertilizer spreader.
  3. A trailer for hauling harvested crops.
  4. This is when I bought my farm, it had barley growing so I again kept doing contracts.
  5. Bought a harvester and medium sized header with a trailer.
  6. Harvested my first crop, the barley that was already growing on the farm. I sold off-cycle because I needed quick cash.
  7. Then a couple more contracts and a forage harvester which I used to grab the straw, this too I sold off-cycle.
  8. I did more contracts, slowly building up to my next big purchase, a planter, namely the nice Pottinger that plants and fertilizes and can cultivate if needed.
  9. I planted soybeans because they were closest to their planting cycle.
  10. I harvested the soybeans as well as something new, the resultant soybean straw, whatever that is. Both I sold off-cycle as I needed more quick cash.
  11. I purchased a small trailer, and a chainsaw. Time for some work on the farm.

At this point I’ve redone the field, trying to get rid of a few trees and maximize my field size. I’m not 100% satisfied with it, as it was an odd shape to start with so even though I have straighter edges now, it’s still an odd lot and there are parts of it that have the, “you don’t own this field,” tag.

But, I’m only about 75K in debt now and looking pretty good for next season. I have enough cash on hand I should be able to float until the peak price for this next round or two. But I need more land for sure. I only have a small field and a lot of this map is VERY high priced stuff.

Newly changed Valley Bluff farm on field 11:

Farm shot, early March:

Selling the strange, soybean straw as a new byproduct from harvesting soybeans:

Enjoying the fall:

Slowly working out of debt for vehicles:

I’m playing this one on easy as it’s slow enough as it is and I just wanted to check out the map and productions rather than doing a really long build (though I am considering making a BGA from scratch). I’ve got a pretty good money maker setup now, as my corn and barley are feeding all the booze productions, albeit not all year round, while my cows keep the dairy pumping out stuff. Looking to add another field for sugar (beets or cane depending on which harvester goes on sale first) and maybe going into bakery, but anything sizeable is expensive, so I may go the BGA route instead. I’ve never actually built a modular BGA for real. Any ideas on where might be good land for large placeables?

If you don’t mind throwing farmland at the issue, I’ve had my eye on those long, narrow fields towards the to middle of the map, north of the vehicle shop, 60-63:

I’ve thought about buying one initially for grass to silage or corn to silage since they are long and narrow and easy to get implements in and out of. BUT, I’ve also thought converting one ore more to production use would be very easy and they are SO close to most of the shops and needs on that part of the map. If you need a bit more depth to the lots, the ones on the east side are a bit deeper if you clear out a few trees.

Are you doing the modular BGA with that same named mod or is that part of this map as well? I’ve never done a modular BGA, sounds like a fun production to build. And did you buy that gigantic dairy farm on lot 20?

I would be doing the modular BGA mod if I did. Need to save up lots of cash though. I only have my starter farm, the Circle one, so those fields would be pretty far away for a BGA. It somehow has space for 500 cows though. And while I’m waiting for the BGA, I finally managed to automate slurry application, which is a first for me.

500 cows os crazy but the one farm supposedly can handle 1500!!

I read this tidbit earlier:

So just vendor interest and need to get things in the game funds development?!? That’s nuts!

Well, I bought those fields. I figure I can grow grass on one of them and then I just need to transport the slurry from my farm. Can’t seem to get the modular BGA to show up in construction though, so I may just build a large normal BGA. Will be a few months before I can afford that. I do now own pretty much all the productions on the map that my fields can feed, so my harvest makes a lot of cash.

Awesome, I plan to do the same by this weekend but they will be crops for now. Hard economy is a bit of a bitch. :(

Sad to hear about the modular BGA though. I wonder if it’s tied to a lot or something specific?

Don’t think so, I probably just haven’t looked in the right place for it. Anyway, now I’ve got my BGA up, I’m pretty much done for now. May come back to it in a few months and get potatoes going to feed the crisp factory.

Farming Simulator makes it on Last Week Tonight. Pretty shocking expose about how farm workers are treated in the U.S., so it’s worth watching anyway, but the ending is really funny because they make it into a trailer for Farming Simulator 23.

Very pertinent and topical chat by John Oliver, but then again, he does that so well.

That being said, I’m sure Giants cringed at the finale poking fun of things in FS style. But hey, big farming and pro-farming lobbyists need to be called out for what they are doing, no matter the method.

Next expansion gameplay

I’ve been a little underwhelmed by the news about the expansion, to be honest, though I may pick it up just for mod map compatibility. The new crops and productions, while welcome, seem pretty straightforward. Honestly the OXBO equipment pack is more tempting.

As for maps, I put quite a bit of time into the fantastic Carpathian Countryside map, which has my favourite pre-built farm so far and quite a bit of custom production. Added the slaughterhouse mod to get the most out of all the pigs. That sated my desire to play for a while, but I am tempted to come back post-expansion for this one, which seems like a unique experience:

You know when MrSealyp gets excited, it’s going to be a good map. That was fantastic. As for the expansion, I still load up and play a bit, in fact I played a few hours over the weekend. So I’m sure I’ll end up getting it, especially so for new maps that will leverage new things. This particular map looks quite cool and I’m baffled at how they pulled off a lot of this, it’s amazing.

Farm Sim as a time management game?

That looked hectic. Was it just the speed she was playing at or, I’m guessing that’s just the speed of the game.

Ooh, I like the look of this modular greenhouse system. Makes the production more involved (and more expensive, so something to build toward), but also gives you options for automation. I already run a greenhouse mod that requires more inputs but gives more productivity, but this is on a whole other level.

It’s almost here:

He confirms that the new crops work fine in mod maps too, including sell points.