Fates of Ort - What if Diablo + Superhot and an RPG

Also on GOG and itch.

I should be exercising right now, but at @Scotch_Lufkin 's request and because it’s in a couple of sales ending real soon, I thought I’d get this on people’s radars.

It’s a very retro-looking RPG/hack ‘n’ slash made by I think pretty much one dude. It’s real-time but (unlike Superhot) time actually stops when you’re not moving or attacking. Setting is sort of basic but interesting and kind of mysterious. I haven’t gotten very far in it, but already I have made some choices that have me thinking about a replay. The earliest of these involves the magic system, which is a sort of defilers-vs-preservers thing for you Dark Sun heads. Either you’re good and multiple casts of the same spell draw increasingly from your health pool, or you’re bad and instead it corrupts the world. That last bit is happening anyway, and it’s not clear how much your own magic accelerates this process. It’ll run on practically anything. Writing is quite competent. Low-res pixel graphics, for those allergic to such things.

Sounds like 15-30 hours for a playthrough depending on how much exploring you do. I will continue to update impressions.

Thanks, I appreciate that! It sounds really interesting and the price is right. I may grab it just to have it locked and loaded for when I’ve got some of my current games crossed off my list. I probably won’t get it today (maybe tonight though) so if you did want to write up some more, I’d be a willing and eager reader.

I hope to play some today. Having just moved, time is somewhat tight (mostly been playing card games on my phone at night in bed).

I streamed this a while back and had a blast with it, and return to it every now and then. A really great game.

Other than the graphics, this looks very appealing.

I hope they have amazing sound design, like the original Diablo, to make up for the lack of visuals. Diablo still feels triple-A today in 2022 because of that sound.

It does not have what I would call amazing sound design, but it works.

Very curious to see how you like this after playing it through. I wishlisted this earlier because it looks kind of like an old Ultima in terms of graphics and open world. It’s cool to see that the dev is still doing new content updates for it.

Thanks for the write-up, Kollbex! I picked this up yesterday and played a bit last night. Seems promising.

I also played last night but it very quickly drained my girlfriend’s laptop battery, which I was not expecting, so I went to bed. It’s a pretty innovative little RPG. I think you really get to P an R (within limits) and I like the strategic nature of the combat. The world is not what I would call lush but I find it interesting.