Favorite Beer

Mac and Jack’s African Amber is a favorite up here in the northwest.

Toss in also:

Deschutes Black Butte Porter

Guinness

There are lots of great German beers (Spaten Optimator and Schneider Weisse to name two) but I find most of them to be pretty boring–pilsners just don’t excite me, they’re just too light and flavorless. Great on a hot summer day, much like a Budweiser or Natty Boh, but I’d rather have a Corona or in that case anyway.

So I find it funny that you would bash American beers which show at least as much flavor, and way more inventiveness, than German ones. But I guess different strokes for different folks.

Sierra Nevada Christmas Ale is great. Brooklyn Brewery’s Chocolate Stout is another fantastic one.

Yeah, and I learned at Oktoberfest not to mention nazis or Hitler or you’ll never be able to stop the Germans from defending them ;)

Again, you either got old beer (find a new source!) or it’s your imagination, because the Guinness that they serve in Ireland is exactly the same stuff.

Oh merciful god no. Tui is sweet brown Fosters. There’s some awesome beers in NZ at the moment (since the big two breweries have been competing in the craft brew space for about ten years now) why you wanna go picking TUI!?

F’rinstance:

Emersons American IPA (and Pilsener/Bookbinder)
Epic pale ale
Monteiths pilsener
Mac’s sassy red
White Rock Wheat

Even Steinlager is better than Tui. ALL IMO, BUT STILL.

Ah German beer, brewed according to 500 year old purity laws, blah, blah, blah… and available in the ass-end of your local grocery store for a steal. When I think German beer my first thought always goes to the cheapest bottles of yellow horse piss I drank as a teen because I was short on money and I wasn’t of age to buy any hard stuff.

Yeah, I had the same thought. There’s a lot more to American beer than Budweiser and Coors these days. Maybe that wasn’t true 20 years ago, but it’s definitely true now.

Top 3 (and my argument against the stupid ‘American Beer Sucks’ meme):

1. Boont Amber
  2. Stone Smoked Porter
  3. Red Tail Ale

Yay! A beer thread!

I love Boont Amber. Glad to see it made the thread. They serve it on tap at our local pizza/pasta place and it’s deelicious.

Fave default go-to beer is Sierra Nevada. Also: Anchor Steam.

Been developing a recent fondness, if I want something kinda light, for Stella Artois. Manly? No. But I like it anyway.

But my favorite beer activity in general is just to hit up any microbrewery I find and try whatever they have on tap. This is a mighty fine golden age for beer drinkers.

This one

My favoriate beer is the one in front of me; I’m not very picky, and I won’t turn down free beer at all. Vino’s in town has great beer though, and cheap for a growler or party keg. I’ve made my own in the past, and I’m about to start again as well.

I’m drinking my first one right now, just because you recommended it, despite the fact that I still you’re a girl.

Next up: Great Divide Hibernation Ale.

Fat Tire!

Miller High Life - The Champaign of Beers

You can’t drink it and you can’t spell it. Just stop.

Psh, I do live in Milwaukee, you know.

Besides, I spelled Champaign, Illinois, which is a lot closer than Champagne, France.

Yea, but Champaign, Illinois is even more noxious than Miller High Life.

What the hell is this, a delayed post from the 1980s, prior to the microbrew revolution and revolt against the “American-Style Lager” shit?

That’s also the first time I’ve seen someone bash the excellent Guinness. Is nothing holy anymore?

Anyway, the best German beers are from local breweries, just as in America. Lots of monasteries and other independent breweries make delicious brews that aren’t widely available. My favorite is still Aldersbacher. On the other end of the spectrum, Clausthaler is the one alcohol-free beer that I find drinkable.

Speaking of beers - I just got Anchor’s holiday beer today (just arrived at the local market). It’s pretty tasty as always - darker and a bit heavier than previous years.

His favorite beer is Blue Moon. You can’t expect him to like good beer.

Steel Reserve. And when I’m feeling fancy, Newcastle.