Favorite Final Fantasy

That copy on Vita is the PS1 version right? If so - ew, no. Play the pixel remaster.

Ok, that’s a relief. Phew. I didn’t really want to charge the Vita again.

I played every entry that was available in the US (except X-2) from the beginning up to 12, which I didn’t finish. I think 8 is my favorite, although 10 is close. I have a soft spot for 15, too, although I have likewise not finished it.

But… orphans? And… amnesia?

Actually, I attempted to replay FF8 a couple of years ago on Switch and it wasn’t as bad as had remembered it. Some parts of the game were pretty cool and the boss fights were fun. Didn’t finish it, though.

Not in a hurry to get back to it, at the end of the day, for me it’s still bottom tier FF due to its dull, stiff characters. I’d rather party with Zidane and company than that miserable Squall and his cardboard-dry buddies. FF9 had it’s faults, but it had a load of charm, memorable scenes, gorgeous world design, and went back to the more classic fantasy setting that existed pre-FF 6, including the classes. And that soundtrack!

…whatever.

I don’t play games for the stories, I can’t follow the stories anyway. I even have trouble following movies, I might have ADD, I don’t know. I play for the battle systems and mechanics. In terms of battle mechanics FF8 was far superior to FF9 imho. I don’t doubt the story in FF9 was better though.

The rumor must have been in reference to the fan remake o talked about above. They released a massive gameplay demo video.

https://twitter.com/MemoriaProject/status/1666497539644989441?s=20

This seems like a good place to put this news.

Glad to hear it. I like earning achievements while playing my Final Fantasy games!

FF 14 is coming to Xbox Series consoles in Spring 2024, along with the latest expansion pack included in the launch, with cross platform play. But that’s an MMO, and I think a traditional one, not a single player-like adventure like Elder Scrolls Online, so it’s probably not my jam.

But still, I’m looking forward to other releases. Hopefully we’ll get a port of the Pixel Remaster of early games to Xbox, as well as FF 7 Remake and FF 16.

The Pixel Remasters are what I’m really hoping for. I never played those games (except a little of FF6 on PS3).

Maybe they’ll bring the FF7 remake over! Didn’t know about FF 14. I’ve been curious about that one.

As of October you’ll be able to play almost the entire story solo with AI companions for instanced content, fwiw

The only FF I ever completed was Final Fantasy III (VI in Japan). Played it on original SNES hardware back in the early 90s when it was first released in the States. Thought it was quite decent for what it was (but very very easy), but I had already played western RPGs like Pool of Radiance and Dragon Wars on my C64 which had greater difficulty, depth and sense of exploration.

There was a possible bug in FF3 however that bummed me out at the time. I fell through a hole or trapdoor or something on a mountain and landed in the small cave lair of a Bigfoot. He literally turned his back on me and wouldn’t interact with me at all. I think he was possibly meant to join your party but this Great Silence of Sasquatch was either a bug or I had discovered him before I was meant to discover him, so likely ended up breaking the encounter.

The Yeti / Abominable Snowman indeed can join the party.

His special ability is you don’t control him. He auto attacks.

Oh, thanks for that clarification. I knew he was either a Bigfoot or a yeti but it’s been so many years I can’t remember for sure. Auto-attacking party members or summons that join your party can be cool. There were a couple of tough fights in Interplay’s Dragon Wars, IIRC, where if you didn’t use your Salamander summons (I think they were salamanders) item or rare single-use spell you likely couldn’t win the encounter. I remember thinking what a neat idea it was to have these extra minions who popped in for a big battle, then popped out, and you had no control over them.

I played most of FF II (IV in Japan) in emulation on PC and it was a special release called “hard type” or something like that. It was a puzzle to figure out exactly which powers certain members needed to use to weaken normally overpowering bosses. I could never figure out the proper combination of spells/abilities to beat an important boss in order to progress so I was stumped and had to quit. For once, a jRPG kicked my ass instead of a western RPG lol

Amusing interview. FF8 is the best apparently.

We can go back and read reviews about Final Fantasy XIII from when it released that would indicate it was universally loved, too.

By the critics, maybe. Plenty of people hated it.

FF VIII was only a big deal for a short time because it was the follow up to FF VII. Expectations were very high, naturally. It’s time in the limelight was short - FF IX was released only a year later and anticipation was high for that one due to going back to the more classic fantasy look and classes of the earlier games.

FF X was much better received and better viewed, then and now.

I’ll always have a soft spot in my heart for VIII, as it was my first.

Great soundtrack.

I had grabbed Final Fantasy III’s pixel remake some time ago on the Switch, as it is a game I’ve always been curious about but it was rough to get into, and beyond the quite obscure game mechanics, that remake is incredible. First, you can switch back to original NES PSG sound, which is a blessing for someone as me who loathes modern orchestral arranges. You can pick if you want a modern or older font, but the older font is actually one that supports all kana and ideograms, unlike the original NES limited to sillabaries. You got a fancy monster cyclopedia you can feel up with entries from your encounters and even fight them again if you wish too. You can save anywhere on the world map, and you got a single save slot if you really have to close the game down (something which isn’t very likely on the Switch, as the console sleep and resume function never once failed me — Hello Xbone). You even got a little list of todos and missed secrets in one of the external menus.
The artworks is also incredibly faithful to the original game.
This makes me want to get the other rereleases of those games, and it is just a joy to play around. I hope they are all this quality.

Haven’t played the new remasters, but I enjoyed the FF3 DS remake. Also, the FF4 DS remake was my favorite version of that game - I was hoping they’d do a 3D remake of FF 5 and FF 6, but unfortunately never happened.