Favorite Game Music

Oh hey, thanks for bumping this thread. A friend turned me onto this podcast a week or so ago and it’s AMAZING. Covers all manner of soundtracks.

http://www.cinematicsound.net/

I love that theme!!! So majestic.

The theme in the main menu of Divinity: OS is also fantastic.

Ooh, looking forward to hearing this. I played a few minutes of Nex Machina at a friend’s house but didn’t note the music. Sounds right up my alley.

I’ve been meaning to get that since they remastered it, and since it looks like there’s still a long wait before DOS2 comes to PS4, so looks like I’lld o that after all! Thanks for the tip - love majestic game themes =)

Actually, Assassins Creed Origins theme in the start menu reminds me a bit of DA:I as well.

I just uploaded a new capture of one of my favorite tracks. It is from Seiken Densetsu 3, “Where Angels Fear to Tread”

I don’t know about ‘favorite’ but this track has been sticking in my head lately… this is the music playing during the Wooded Kingdom level in Super Mario Odyssey:

It also transitions into an 8-bit version when Mario goes into the 8-bit game sections.

I remember when Blue Sky Gaming was a thing.

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2005/11/blue-sky-in-games-campaign-launched.html

Lately, I’ve had the three soundtracks on a near-constant loop at work:

Chrono Trigger:

Nier Tomato:

Chrono Cross:

Playing Nier Tomato at the moment and the soundtrack is tremendous.

I rediscovered Star Control II soundtrack due to discussion in another thread, and made one track my ringtone. This game is so goofy and charming!

Some of the remixes are pretty good too.

Emperor of the Fading Suns. Amazing soundtrack.

So I’m increasingly finding that chiptunes are good music to work to.

Like baroque keyboard music, they tend to have pretty consistent rhythm and dynamics, allowing them to go into your back-brain while still being somewhat driving. But they also tend to be louder and more absorbing. No matter how much you turn up Bach’s English Suites, they don’t really take over your aural surroundings.

I also like how chiptunes are heavily focused in higher frequencies, which means they effectively drown out the human voice. If there are chatty coworkers around, this is invaluable.

In a solitary environment my ‘music to zone to’ would be mellower (think: Vangelis, or aforementioned baroque piano, or Global Communication). But when there are people nearby talking, I rely a lot on chiptunes and on more insistent techno like Underworld.

Now if only I could find a pair of headphones and/or earbuds that can be worn for upwards of 4 hours without causing ear pain.

Also, just 'cause, here’s one of the catchiest chiptunes ever – Mike Alsop’s music for Fairlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q4SAm6LnXw

I’m with you on the first part, but I’ve never considered using something based in a higher frequency to counteract noise. I’ll have to try that.

To contribute to the thread, this is the music from the Wooded Kingdom in Super Mario Odyssey. The video is fifteen minutes long, but that’s just because it’s looping the same ninety-ish-second clip. So catchy.

I was going to tell you that you were doing it wrong and post a 10 hour version, but 15 minutes will do! I was meaning to swing round here and post that exact tune up. It’s so good! In fact, I was kind of disappointed that the soundtrack peaked so early with it and Cascade Kingdom.

New Donk’s ‘full band’ sound is terrific too. I’m still not sure how I feel about Mayor Pauline’s singsong but here’s the New Donk City tune:

Cascade Kingdom sounds like Kondo trying to pip Gusty Garden for Most Triumphant Mario song, and it might just manage it too. It’s glorious:

Honestly, I was looking forward to the Odyssey soundtrack as much as the game itself, probably more so, and it delivered.

@Gordon_Cameron: yeah, as nice as more ambient stuff is, it’s not dense enough to blot out office/colleague noise sometimes!

This tune is too good for a Lethal Weapon game by Ocean:

“Mit Ganczem Willen” is a song from the 1400s featured prominently in Darklands and Machiavelli: The Prince, two of my favorite games. Every time I hear this I feel like I’ve gone back in time.

This final-boss-fight track from Digital Devil Saga is perhaps merely okay in itself, but I always thought it was ideal music in combination with the gameplay:

The malicious hermaphrodite institute director who turns out to be the final boss has just been defeated in her first monstrous form, and has transformed into some kind of transcendental deity as the track opens…

Completed my collection of Street of Rage on vinyl!

Very nice! I can’t unsee this though (I’m sorry):