Ferguson St Louis - Michael Brown shot by police

What punishment? A fine? You realize these people already owe over a million dollars right?

Yeah, whatever the legally applicable punishment is.

Yeah see your do nothing policies don’t jive with me. These people already owe huge sums of money. I can’t wait for the next topic where you tell everyone they shouldn’t try to seize the assets of these freeloaders because it might lead to death. if we did it your way, anyone with a gun would just stockpile fines and fees and never pay a thing because law enforcement would be too afraid of someone getting hurt. No consequences leads to what very thing happening here now.

Er, how is the legally applicable punishment doing nothing?

If it’s a fine, we know they won’t pay. They already over a million. So what you think they should pay for damages they cause, but you know they won’t pay so what’s Timex. What’s next in your playbook for people who get fined and don’t pay?

What makes you so certain that they won’t pay?

Becaus thee Bundys already owe the government, and they won’t pay.

Jon Ritzheimer got totally pissed off because when they asked people to send them supplies, someone sent them a huge box of dicks.

Really? Try requisitioning a farmer’s tractor. If he doesn’t shoot you, enjoy your time in jail for grand theft.

Definitely, but the bulldozer is still on the property, right? They didn’t actually take it anywhere. That’s the only reason I’m saying that considering it theft may be hard to pin down

Public officials have no expectation of privacy regarding their work (there are exceptions for HIPAA, national security, etc, that do not apply here). Everything public officials do is supposed to be visible to the public, from the contents of their desk to the content of their .gov emails. And of course that means the work can be ridiculed publicly.

Before you ask, no that doesn’t mean it’s ok to rummage through a government-owned desk. You’re supposed to fill out a form instead. But I have more sympathy for the custodial staff than the employee who produced the data in question.

So we do have people here who want bloodshed. Cool.

We do? Who?

As far as I can tell, nobody here wants to see a violent confrontation. The debate is mostly about how the Oregon protesters rate on a scale of Figurative Hitler to Literal Hitler.

I was thinking more along the lines of how much data I just gave the DMV last week and whether not I’d be okay with some armed militia men walking in there and rummaging through those files. Certain data is public data and some of it’s not. I work in health care. I expect any data I input into the system and all my e-mails could at any moment for any reason be pulled for litigation purposes or otherwise. I would, however, expect the PHI I work with to be handled with the discretion as per law. I doubt an armed militia member is that versed in HIPAA and probably shouldn’t get access to it just because they’re holding a gun.

No. I do have an issue though with them going to get mail like they’re just strolling out of their house each day to the mailbox.

Errr… No.

Try taking a police car for a joy ride in the parking lot at the police station. I suspect the penalties you face would be more than “boys will be boys, thanks for putting it back in a parking spot when you were done!”

Like I said, there are exceptions for HIPAA, national security, etc. And if the militia were occupying a VA hospital, military base, or even the DMV, then I would expect a more proactive reaction.

And of course any data from a private institution, including hospitals, is private unless someone has a good reason to view it (eg litigation) backed up by a court order.

But in this particular case, we are talking about accessing government research on birds. It is not protected at all. To see it, you don’t need a lawyer, a court order or even a good reason. Just mail in an FOIA request demanding the Oregon bird research, and they have to provide it. Then you can do whatever you want with it, discreetly or not.

For instance, your salary is probably confidential. But the salaries of government employees are found in government documents, which are subject to FOIA requests. Sure enough, various people have demanded those documents and published them online, for all to see.

Yeah, cause they’re probably going to arrest you while you’re in it.

However, if you drive something around and don’t damage it, and somehow aren’t arrested while in the act and then return it, I don’t think that it legally constitutes theft. Maybe some lawyer guy can speak with more authority, but I don’t THINK it counts as theft if you don’t actually take the property.

I doubt that they have anything like that in there either, but how do you know they don’t? Was there some sort of statement released that says they don’t have any private information there? How do you know the employees don’t have anything in there they’d rather not have some crazy people with guns rummaging through? At least it was after the holidays so no one’s personal gifted items are in there for them to just take as their. I won’t call it stealing because according to Timex you can just take and use what’s not yours and return… no foul.

That’s kind of like asking “How do you know the refuge wasn’t also being used to store nuclear warheads?”

This is a parks facility. And there are rules governing what kind of data any government office can collect.

If the parks service has a policy of collecting HIPAA sensitive records, classified data, etc, then Oregon has bigger problems than the militia.

I don’t know what they collect. I just don’t make the assumption that we have s useless building full of useless information with equipment we don’t need run by employees that shouldn’t be employed.