Ferrari - Michael Mann, Adam Driver, lots of red cars

Yeah, but the racing in it, as crazy as it is, just totally hits all the right notes. Even the Mom and Pop racing team against the Corporate cheaters is perfect. It’s just so well done.

I like it, but if you’re looking for “realistic” driving action then Speed Racer is not going to scratch that itch at all.

Speed Racer. Here is my stance

Original animated Speed Racer > big movie Speed Racer

In fact, seeing the animated speed racer contributed strongly to my racing/car love. I originally thought the car designs were out there, but now I know alot more about racing sports cars in the 50-60s the designs are pretty spot on. i just never bonded with the newer movie. Its due a rewatch for me however.

But the action on both are cartoonish or anime-like, what with the crazy jumping and underwater propulsion etc. So I left them both out.

Hmm…illegal road racing. Hard call. I think it goes in. Crazy 70s movie!

Dude, if you allow Cannonball Run, can Fast & Furious be far behind? In which case, you’ve opened the door for Fasts II though X!!, Hobbes & Shaw, and god knows what else. That way lies madness and bad movies!

Fast & Furious ?!?!?!?

It’s also got great casting. Roger Allam is the smarmiest villain ever to grace the screen. It would make a great double feature with Tetris, where he’s almost like the washed up version of his Speed Racer character.

I’ve never seen a single Fast and Furious movie. Was the original one any good? Do any of them have redeeming value as silly action movies the way bad Nic Cage movies are gloriously fun?

The scene where he’s telling Speed “You’ll never win!” is so dead on right out of the show and the way it’s filmed is *chef’s kiss*.

It’s definitely a movie that knows exactly what it’s about. A shame they’ve only ever managed that with the original Matrix and Speed Racer.

Absolutely. Even if just to understand Paul Walker’s charisma. I feel they get less and less interesting as they go, but they were a commercial phenomena for a reason, and you can clearly see that reason in the earliest incarnation. Definitely recommended.

I think they peaked with Fast Five. Although at that point it had already morphed into something completely different and part of an altogether different genre than the first few movies.

If you watch all 10 of them you’ll get to see Vin Diesels acting ability improve* over the decade.

*not really.

I lied. I completely forgot about Bound. That one’s part of the queer canon, and it builds tension as well as the best Tarantino movies.