Field of Glory II - Big battle brawl

How do we not have a topic for this yet?

It’s Field of Glory, but in 3D!

• Turn based large army battles
  • Sandbox campaign
  • 4 historical campaigns
  • Custom battles
  • Random map battles
  • Map and scenario editor
  • PBEM multiplayer

$29.99

I was always curious about the first game, but the AI was supposed to be very poor. Someone linked to an article that the devs applied lessons learned from the Pike and Shot AI, which was supposed to be good (I can’t remember where that was). I’m curious to see what people think if they take the plunge.

James Allen likes it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijqBBKBnQGo

The dude in the OP video pronounced “hoplites” like “ho-pleh-tezz”.

My understanding is that’s actually closer to how it would have been pronounced in Ancient Greek. Of course, I still tend to find people who conspicuously insist on “more accurate” pronunciations of loan words to be insufferable pedants, but at least it’s explicable.

Oh snap! Thx @Thraeg.

I know a person who objects to saying panini, because that is plural damn it. She orders a panina and lets you know why.

It’s fun to just mispronounce everything on purpose around her.

FWIW that is how I’ve been pronouncing it because that is what the unit yells out when you select one in Rome II:TW. Honestly the first time I’ve heard it spoken.

Pretty sure it’s masculine (panino).

Clearly we were waiting for you!

It showed u[p on my radar but I am totally unfamiliar with the series, so was actually waiting for someone here to start the conversation.

Whatever way it is, I’m sure she has it right and I’m remembering it wrong. She would care enough to get it right, she’s not a dummy, she’s just silly. :)

RPS has a nice battle report.

After reading that article I steam wishlisted it, and then read the following, positive, articles:

gamewatcher.

wargamer.

And if I hadn’t bought TWH2 I’d have bought this. As it stands I shall finish D:OS2 and TWH2 and then get this.

If you’re into podcasts, this weeks Three Moves Ahead is about the game as well. Very positive about the game. Picking it up when I don’t have a million other things to play…

It is excellent. But then again its based on a core design by Richard Bodley Scott so I shouldnt be surprised. The man walks on water as far as I am concerned.

Someone gifted me this unexpectedly yesterday so I’ll be giving it a go. So far it’s obvious that this is someone’s labor of love. And that as a lifelong fan of Roman history and turn based tactical games, I could be in for a really good time. The initial presentation is pretty slick.

Yesterday was MY birthday and no one gifted it to ME. :(

That’s a nice surprise! Looking forward to hearing what you think about the game.

If I order the game on the Slitherine site, do I get a Steam key?

Take this with a grain of salt, but it appears not. A lot of games, you can log into the site below and you can get a Steam key. Field of Glory 2 does not appear to have that option.

https://www.slitherine.com/members/