Filming begins on Furiosa!

Oh thanks for reminding me I need to read that.

Also if y’all haven’t seen this, it’s an amazing watch.

I also found the CGI a little too obvious. Eg the mechanical arm looked way way too fake. Hopefully they can clean up the lighting etc by the time it’s released.

I am super excited and will be in the theater with an overpriced IMAX ticket on day 1 (or 2).

I will say, I am a bit wary of Anya Taylor-Joy in the role. She’s awesome, but Charlize in contrast is in fact a total badass in physically demanding roles. Anya Taylor-Joy seems a bit out of place. But… that’s what movie magic is for!

Yeah, I get it. Fury Road production was brutal. But that was what also made it so goddamn awesome. It was bravura filmmaking that we rarely see anymore.

Oh snap! I discovered him (still credited as Junkie XL) just before Fury Road via the 300: Rise of an Empire soundtrack, which you can hear echos of in the Fury Road score. That alone is great news. It would be hard to match Fury Road, but even landing somewhere between 300: Rise of an Empire (the better of the 300 films by far when measured by anything other than meme status) and Fury Road would still make for a solid action movie.

And sure, the CG is more pronounced, but I honestly don’t care if the effects don’t look as convincing. I care about whether they’re used effectively for the story.

Understanding how incredible it was that the first movie happened at all–and was also fantastic and not a disaster–doesn’t oblige us to grade on a curve for the sequel.

I don’t think anyone’s really blowing anything out of proportion yet, but if our first look at the sequel isn’t as exciting as Fury Road, it’s fair to say so.

Now if someone storms into the thread shouting “I don’t understand why it’s not the same!”, there’s an opportunity for some education on the context, sure.

Sure. I’m not accusing anyone in this thread of being a jerk about it.

I think it is important to keep expectations in check. This movie was not the product of the hellish filming conditions of Fury Road so it’s going to be a lot “cleaner” looking.

I watched Fury Road again last night in 4k and I think a lot of people are not remembering the movie correctly if they think this trailer looks “more CG” or “too saturated/color-graded” than it. I feel like the marketing of Fury Road as an “all practical stunts” movie really screwed with people’s perceptions and they don’t realize how much CG, compositing, and color-grading was done for it anyway.

Lots of CG at work here…

…and colour grading:

And just like that , I am going to end up watching Fury Road this weekend.

Yup. It’s like Top Gun Maverick. Yes, stuff was shot practically, but there was a ton of VFX work too.

I hear it all the time with both movies. “There was no CG in this and that’s what makes it so awesome!” I just shake my head.

A lot of those are still shooting real vehicles, but then digitally superimposing them into the scene. Or using CG for the backgrounds. Which I knew. There’s a lot of CG, but then there’s also a huge amount of actual vehicles. Otherwise the production wouldn’t have been so brutal.

I don’t kid myself that Fury Road has no CG, but there’s something more believable about what I’m seeing in that movie than in most action movies. (With some exceptions: I rewatched recently and still didn’t like the sandstorm or the citadel exteriors much.)

Hoping this is good but it won’t spoil Fury Road for me if it’s forgettable.

I don’t think anyone was saying there’s no CG, just that there were lots of practical effects, which there were. It’s a lot like how Force Awakens used far more practical effects and sets than the prequels. Even in CG, using real references makes a difference, like the podracing sequence, which takes place in a fake desert composed of real rock and dirt elements.

Like in Top Gun Maverick, the Russian Su-37s were filmed by actually shooting different jets flying through those canyons for lighting reference. But then they CG’d over those jets. But as they had filmed real jets, they could nail the lighting from all the angles. That’s why it looks so damn good. So, yeah, there were actual jets, along with a plane to film it. But that’s very expensive to do.

Oooh, I dunno, not feeling that. Looks a lot more CGI boondoggley, by which I mean…hard to describe…less grounded, more obviously CGI. Plenty of CGI in Fury Road, of course, but it felt in service of the action. With that trailer, the action looked in service of the CGI.

That looks fantasssssstic. Can’t wait.

Do you wanna personally go help them film for almost a year in the desert again?

I don’t mind a little CGI if it means people’s sanity.