Final Fantasy of War. I mean, Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin

Great, I grabbed it with Salt and Sacrifice. I still have Monster Hunter Rise to finish. One of these should snap me out of my gaming funk.

When I say it looks fine I should say that doesn’t mean I think it looks like a current gen game. It absolutely does not. Jiggling aliased edges galore. However I don’t care. The action can get a bit muddled because there’s a lot going on at any given moment. Very much feels like a Team Ninja game.

Does it have an option for DS4 button icons on PC?

I am playing on Xbox but I tried googling it and man is that a hard thing to google.

Yeah it’s an option.

Control type B and controller type A!

Performance seems fine. I have it set to 60 fps and screen space reflections disabled to keep soul burst animations from slowing down, and I don’t notice any framerate issues. Everything else on max. It still looks awful, of course.

It’s fun enough so far. I made it roughly to the point where I gave up on the PS4 demo.

Any idea of why the game looks like butt? Just seems strange, I’m assuming the game had a decent budget and these aren’t rookie developers.

Poor textures for sure, but there also seems to be an aggressive depth of field effect that makes everything look blurry from 10 feet away. It looks like a bad console game, which it kind of is.

But are you here to kill Chaos or not.

Time’s up, of course you are.

He’s as good as dead.

I beat the first boss after a few tries. This is going to be fun.

Once side missions open up, there are some weapon tutorial missions that seem really helpful. There’s depth to the movesets that I didn’t realize at first.

Are you playing on Hard? How many tries is “a few?” I just finished him at 2 hours 45 minutes of playtime and it was brutal.

I’m playing on Hard. I probably died 5 times or so. The first phase is easy but he has some triple hit attacks in the second phase that wipe out almost all your break gauge and can kill you instantly if your health is only halfway.

Are you spamming the soul shield and then switching jobs when your break gauge gets low? It’s like a better version of blocking and you don’t need to time it like a parry.

I’m using the party members for now. I can’t decide if I want to try it solo. It’s probably harder that way but it feels like I’d be missing out on the fun of having companions along. Maybe for NG+.

The ice sword triple attack spam was so annoying, not to mention that lightning bullshit with almost zero windup he would just sometimes pull out of nowhere when you’d just about forgotten he could do it. It’s a team ninja game, all right! I forgot about the break gauge refilling if you swap to a different job. They front load a ton of info about animation canceling, etc. in that first level and that guy is definitely a “were you paying attention” check. I wasn’t even bothering with regular blocks, just soul shield all the way. I probably fought him thirty times or more but the quick loading and save point right there made it very painless. I considered dropping the difficultly but downed him in another couple of tries.

The second boss took me twice as long. Once you get the hang of them, it’s very satisfying to beat them down.

Just grabbed this from the Epic deal as WarpRattler mentioned. Good stuff so far. No idea what I’m doing. Up to the first boss. Tried him once and got him to phase 2. I started on “Action” difficulty.

My guess is “Hard” is much harder. Once I understand how the systems work, I’ll switch up to hard. There seems to be quite a bit to get here.

The reviews denigrating the visuals, level design and story presentation are spot on. I don’t think I care much, though.

Yeah it looks worse in some ways than the 360 games running on backwards compatibility on my box. I also do not care.

I started on Hard and took a little bit to get my bearings, but the systems are solid and I’m looking forward to digging in more. The main notable thing about this difficulty seems to be much higher incoming damage, which just means getting better at dodging/blocking/soul shielding.

Part of why it took a bit to get used to playing the game was because it was constantly crashing, despite not having any performance issues otherwise. I didn’t find any easy solutions for my issues online, and hardware monitoring was all fine. I ended up turning everything except framerate down to minimum settings and it finally stopped crashing, at the cost of looking Extremely Bad.

what are your specs?

i5-11400F, RTX 3060, 16GB of RAM.

Definitely better than mine and I’m experiencing no crashing. Sorry this has been happening for you.