Final Fantasy XI - Anyone still playing?

From the main menu, if you select Region Info, your conquest point total will be displayed in a box in the lower right corner of the screen. I think.

That’s cool and all, but mostly I’m interested in my conquest points.

I’m going to need to start making money soon, though, because two-handed axen get pretty expensive real quick. So far I’ve been getting by selling crystals at the AH but I may have to break down and actually talk to some more NPCs. I’ve been doing the flint stone and bat wing quests for cash but I think it’s about time to take on something more challenging.

Oh, and being a warrior rocks. Originally I wanted to be a summoner but now I just want better skills for hacking stuff into pieces.

That’s cool and all, but mostly I’m interested in my conquest points.

???

I answered your question, Mike. I don’t know any other way to get your point total.

Just messing around, Lee ;)

I want to try a party, though. Let me know if you decide to use your thief at all, because I was thinking about creating a Taru. Just want to try out the party stuff with some simple hunting.

This offer goes for the rest of you, too. Anyone who wants to kill some rabbits together get over to San d’Oria on Phoenix and we’ll do it up.

If you want to catch monsters, you fish on the deck, but if you want to fish safely, fish on the stairs.

ahhahaHAHAhaha! Thanks for the tip. Next time I’m chugging between Selbina and Mhaura, I will keep that in mind. :)

Got my first party invite last night, and I didn’t even have the party flag on! Sadly it was about two minutes before I was about to go to bed, so no party for me :(

Great swords are expensive. Inferno is like 10K an it’s only the third or fourth one.

Once you hit around 8-9, I find parties become a lot more efficient XP. Soloing monsters myself (level 12, just made last night) I can kill monsters and get 20-30 xp apiece, with a fair amount of downtime. With a good group in Konschaat Highlands, we can be steadily killing monsters for 40-50 xp, getting XP chain bonuses, and relatively little downtime. The risk is slightly higher, but it can be a lot faster levelling…

This new patch is pretty cool. Storage Items for the Mog House, Moghancements and the new Dynamis areas. I also like the Lot Changes (no more lost loot due to people being full).

http://www.playonline.com/comnewsus/200402264502.html

At level 12, you should go to Valkurm Dunes, get in a party, and fight Hill Lizards. You’ll get anywhere from 70-150 xp a kill on those.

… and lose 300+ XP for each death! ;)

Xemu and I are hoping to head up to the Highlands tonight. If I’m feeling adventurous, maybe we’ll go to the Dunes… but having passed through them recently as a WHM 10, I still find them somewhat scary. I guess it depends on whether we can hook up with a capable party.

Yeah, well, don’t go there at 10, you will quickly get your asses handed to you. 12 is the magic number there.

I started partying in the Dunes at 10, I didn’t have any problems.

Level 10 is too low if you are a tank… if you are a damage dealer you will just have trouble hitting IT’s, but as a tank you will also be taking a lot of damage and with less HPs to soak it… so don’t go making a party of only level 10’s and think you’re gonna kick butt… if you are a caster you will be fine at that level, just make sure you never get hate from the monsters!

I spent an hour today running out of Selbina, Binding an IT monster (I’m level 14, the part of the Dunes around Selbina is actually soloable at ~22), hitting it once, then running back into town. I died twice, but it was a fun way to cap off the day. The people around town’s reactions were great. All told, played for 7 hours, finished 400 or so experience in the black. Yeah, did I mention that we Red Mages have a hard time getting into good parties?

RDMs are grreatly in demand at higher level…

Wewt! 2 levels gained in Yhoator jungle today, no deaths in party at all.

Got to level ten running around the king’s tomb south of East Rounfare. I saw a monk who was only on level 8 but was completely amazing. Almost made me drop my two-handed axe and start all over again. This guy was using boost and punching the shit out of goblins left and right. I hear Monks aren’t as cool in the higher levels and they stink as a suport job, but damn. I don’t care if it is a waste of time I am definitely playing as a monk at some point.

By the way, what level do you need to be on to do that second mission (searching the tomb for evidence of tomb robbers)? I found the entrance into the underground part and there was a bunch of bats who were rated incredibly tough so I left. Then I saw a party of lvl 70+ guys go in there. Do you need to be that good? And if so why is it the second mission they give you?

Logged on to check my auctions and remembered I was still in the Tomb. Look who I saw on the way back:

Made me want to sell the axe and start casting Cure…

Can I join in the “What I did yesterday in FFXI”?

Well, first thing I went and helped a linkshell member find a Carbuncle’s Ruby killing Poison Leeches in Buburimu so he could start the summoner job quest. Took about 30 minutes, which isn’t too bad for that item.

Then I went over to Windurst to take the cooking test to get past Amateur rank. I had been boosting my cooking skill making orange juice for the mages in my LS (1 water crystal + 4 saruta oranges) and got to skill 10. So I went and bought the items to make a salmon sub, and got the rank of Recruit!

Then I went to Kazham to buy some Ninja spells in Norg, and then I levelled up my Bard job in Yhoator to 33. Woot! Magic Finale!

Finally, and this took forever, 12 of us set out to get Rank 5. It requires a hell of a lot of running around, and a lot of killing monsters. We went to Beadeaux first, to kill a couple of named monsters (they aren’t notorious like Jaggedy Jack, but they have unique names). We needed an item from each monster for each person, and they only drop 2 or 3 at a time, and don’t spawn for 15 minutes. :(

We killed the first one three times (and still needed to kill it a fourth). Three of our alliance had to leave, but then we partied with another group who was also looking for the drops. We only needed one more item from that monster, and we agreed that we would get the first, and the other party would get the rest.

Then we fought the other monster, only needing 9 items total now, and got them pretty uneventfully. Then after a pit stop in Jeuno and back to Beadeaux to complete that part, we went to Castle Oztroja… Ugh… Monsters five feet from another, and most of them tough. Close to the end of it our 9-person party got attacked by 4 ~lvl50 monsters simultaneously. (only 4 of the party was above level 40). It was tedious but we defeated them all. Then we completed that and I went back to Jeuno to get my airship pass!

That mission took us ~6 hours, so if you do it, make sure you’re committed or can break it up over days.

Yeah, when I first saw Fenrir, I seriously considered being a Summoner. But when I found out that Dragoon/Summoner is ultimately completely useless, I had to go back to my original (DRG/RDM) plan.