Final Fantasy XII remaster or Persona 5?

• Final Fantasy XII remaster
  • Persona 5

0 voters

Which one?

-Tom

Argh, I accidentally clicked on the wrong one. How do I take it back?

I’ll take Trump Voters With A High School Education or Better for a hundred, Alex.

-Tom

P.S. I have you down now for the Final Fantasy remaster! Check!

Just ‘hide results’ and click on the correct option. :)

What is this FF12 thing? My understanding was that the first game was only half-finished, and Square thanked Matsuno at the time in the same manner Kojima was thanked by Konami recently, or was that wrong?

Third act is the weakest in the game, but it’s still the best Final Fantasy.

FFXII for me. Persona just triggers my analysis paralysis too hard. I mean, even on FFXII, I spent an entire day research the job system before starting.

In a bunch of ways, Final Fantasy XII feels like a precursor to the Xenoblade Chronicles series, which makes me think Tom would enjoy it. But I voted for P5 because I personally like it better even if I’m not sure Tom will.

Oh I was asking more generally, if it was really an attempt to expand the original game -wishfully thinking the original author would be called back-, or if it was one of those upgrades for fitting nostalgia on wider screens. It seems to be the later, but then I find it intriguing they picked this one in the series… unless all the FF games are being remade and I didn’t pay attention, then please ignore me.

It is a remaster of an edition never before available in the US, which is itself a massive overhaul of the games mechanics few US citizens (outside emulation) got to play, and it itself had added content. This new version as well changes up and adds new things in the form of several new weapons for example, and while the story remains unchanged the game itself is quite different and improved from vanilla.

Many of the original team did indeed work on the game, actually. It’s the most extensive “remake” we’ve seen from the franchise yet.

FFX/X-2 was remade back in 2013 and came out on PC in 2016, and going back before that they have been “remastering” older ones for modern hand helds for ages. But not all - many folks want to see FFIX and FFVIII (bleh) get the remaster treatment, which would be interesting in the case of 9 at least. FFVII famously is getting remade, and I think the problem is no one wanted that - people wanted what they did to FFXII to be done to FFVII, but instead it’s a completely different looking game that’s suffering serious development problems, looks pretty shakey.

Ah, thank you for the explanation! I apologize: I had no idea the Zodiac version hadn’t been released in the US. It is the one I was lucky enough to play, and reading about the default system of the game and its punishing nature was a matter of facepalming. Very cool that the game is available for everyone as it should be played.
I seem to recall, now that you mentionned it, that FF4 had been remade for the DS, with an extra chapter no one asked for (or maybe even a sequel. I seem to be blacking out a lot on FF matters for some reason!).

The problem is quite the opposite: rabid Final Fantasy VII fans have been complaining since at least FF12’s original release about how every new Final Fantasy game (including spinoffs and sequels, including actual FF7 spinoffs like Crisis Core) isn’t just a remake of FF7, and now they’ve finally shut up a little with the FF7 remake announcement.

(There’s a fun parallel here to Kingdom Hearts “fans” that complained about every spinoff released after KH2 not being KH3, and proceeded to not play them. Some of these people literally bought PS3s specifically to play Kingdom Hearts III, a game that was never actually announced for a PS3 release, but refused to buy a DS, PSP, or 3DS to play the actual Kingdom Hearts games that existed on those platforms.)

Both, in fact! Final Fantasy IV: The After Years was a sequel no one asked for, and the Final Fantasy IV DS remake had some new gameplay systems no one asked for, plus a rewritten script and extra story stuff no one asked for to try to reconcile some of the game’s story with the sequel no one asked for. The stellar PSP version of Final Fantasy IV did a much better job with this, by leaving Final Fantasy IV itself alone (though they completely redid the translation compared to previous English releases, it was still the original script, not the one used for the DS remake), and adding a new separate short game set between the game and its sequel to wrap up loose ends and reconcile the story differences, but in a way that let people who had no interest in the sequel ignore everything about it.

To answer the thread, I voted for Persona 5. It’s a great game!

To clarify, no one wants the thing they are actually doing. We wanted a “remastered” version of the original game that looks nice and plays on modern systems. Not whatever monstrosity they are doing (with it’s real time combat and episodic structure, and etc.).

Wow, this is fascinating. I’ll have to track down more about this game if I can.

I imagine SE thinks enough people want to hang out with Aerith and Barret and Tifa and such again and in HD that they won’t care about (or will actually be happy about) the gameplay changes.

The thing there is, they’re probably right - remember, one of their selling points for Final Fantasy VII on Steam was a literal cheat program added to the game, and a good number of people specifically liked that because they didn’t want to deal with the tedium of actually playing a JRPG from 1997 again.

Seems like it would just be easier/better then to make a full sequel with the characters again. What they showed didn’t really feel like FFVII to me, and someone must agree because it also sounds like the project is changing hands and going in some other direction.

Judging from how Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus turned out, I’m not sure they want to try their hand at making another FF7 sequel. :P

FFXII for me. I bought P5, having loved 3 & 4, but I just found myself no longer interested enough to struggle through my dislike for the combat system.

JRPG combat, what I dub the country line dance square off, is a ridiculously repetitive design typically devoid of interesting choices. There is usually a clearly correct answer, you just have to be paying enough attention to not make a mistake. I realize this description could be applied to any game theoretically, but the JRPG in particular fails my personal thresholds.

The Persona serious just doubles down on this system by emphasizing vulnerabilities that trigger an all out attack. This has a benefit of moving things along faster, while having the drawback of being disastrous if you fat finger a button or get distracted.

I like everything else about the Persona series so I might go back and try and play through on easy, just to get through it.

FFXII is my favorite JRPG because it recognized this flaw and introduced gambits to combat the deficit of interesting decisions. I would rather focus on designing and tweaking a set of rules and gear to beat the game than try and press every single individual button to execute that plan.

I don’t think this poll is for Tom’s benefit - it’s for ours.
It’s not a question of which game you think is better, or which you think he would enjoy more, it’s which would you rather have him review?
And for my money that’s not a remaster of an old PS2 game, as great as it is. :)