Final Fantasy XII - The Zodiac Age (HD Remaster Take All My Money)

Thanks for the clarification, @Rock8man!

SamS, in the post above ioticus’ post, mentioned picking up this game instead of waiting for the PIllars 2 port. So ioticus was saying he hopes the Pillars 2 port has less bugs. It’s mild topic drift but still on target! Kind of.

Definitely picking it up for Xbox!

So I’m playing this for the first time (7 hours in or so, in the Death Star Prison escape sequence) and I have thoughts!:

1- what a good game it is. It is pretty incredible it holds up this well. So glad I finally have a system where I can feasibly play it (the PS4 is no longer suitable for long games due to the kid).
2- So this is what Xenoblade Chronicles was all about! I get their improvements to combat mechanics, but even if simpler so far, this is much more clearer and legible.
3- I knew the scriptwriter was inspired by Star Wars, but I didn’t expect so much direct lifting. So far is Final Fantasy Steampunk Star Wars Remix.

I’m not quite as far along as you - but this describes my experience with this to a T. It’s really interesting going back and playing this after XC - XC had a lot of improvements but I do like the fact that FF’s combat is all ‘in-world’ and does not instance you out.

How’s the voice acting? Should I go with English, or switch to the Japanese audio and turn on subtitles?

The English voice work is quite good IMO.

Oh goodness, and I forgot to ask about the soundtrack. Original? Re-orchestrated? OST? Re-orchestrated would seem like the obvious choice over the original, but what’s the OST version?

OST is usually a better quality version of what was included in the game. It’s basically what you got if you bought the CDs. Original is what it sounded like on the PS2.

In FFX I think the reorchestrated stuff was overdone and ridiculous but they used a bit more restraint in FFXII and it’s worth checking out. One nice thing is they actually added some unique tracks for places that previously reused tracks from other parts in the game.

Xenoblade Chronicles, X and 2 are also all in world combat.

Picked this up finally. Had forgotten how fantastic the musical score was for this FF, probably the best in a series known for great music. Guess gameplay isn’t the only thing that has suffered in this series since 12.

But damn, I would pay good money for Vaan’s Hair Remastered DLC.

Now that WoW Classic is a thing, we should be getting FF XII with a proper third act any day now, right?

I’m only about 10 hours in, but I really enjoy this. I haven’t played any FF games since a brief attempt at FFX, and I realized I’ve only ever finished FFVI.

Maybe I’ll only ever really get into every sixth entry, but I’m glad I picked this up (and it’s a great fit for the Switch).

Don’t know how the Switch port is, but you should also play FF IX. Maybe you’ll only ever get into every 3rd entry starting from 6 and ending in 9 :) (I didn’t get far into FF XV).

I can’t decide which I love more, XII or IX. Maybe this play-through of XII will decide that.

FF IV (DS version) is definitely close behind.

Does this game have the best writing and voice acting in a JRPG, ever? I think so.

We’re still talking about Xenoblade Chronicles, right? Because yes.

I just couldn’t get into these games, I tried the latest on one Switch and I don’t like the combat, or something about the game in general. That’s twice I failed to get into a big XC game and bounced off it, sadly.

It’s pretty darn great - the story is my favorite in a FF game, it takes place in the world I hold dearest (Ivalice), and the art design is on point between characters, enemies, and locations. My only regret is we never got a XII-2 or something. Hell, a proper Final Fantasy Tactics 2 would have been welcome, indeed!

Sadly I think Matsuno-san is on the outs at Square since all the fuckery around FF XII’s production, and he seems to very much be the creative genius behind FFT and FF XII.

Is he? He seemed pretty involved with writing the Return to Ivalice raid in XIV.

Yeah I hated that game. The original game is my favorite JRPG character group, though, and the voice acting was really great.

He was also involved with the PSP Tactics Ogre remake.

And according to his article, did not leave on exactly bad terms…