Final Fantasy XIV General Discussion Thread

The mailboxes in FFXIV are the best.

The new expansion, Endwalker was revealed earlier this month (maybe spoilers for Shadowbringers):

Release date is still a nebulous “Fall 2021” due to COVID delays - if we stand by the schedule that everything was pushed 3 months while they stood up WFH it should be a late September/early October release. Endwalker’s launch patch will be the conclusion of the Hydaelyn/Zodiark storyline and the rest of the expansion cycle will start a new story.

So far we’ve had a new healer revealed (Sage) and the second class will be a melee DPS. Expecting that reveal (along with more Endwalker details) to occur at the Digital Fanfest May 14-15.

e: Those of us with a PS5, the open beta will begin on April 13th. The PS5 version will be a free upgrade from the PS4 version (which itself was a free upgrade from the PS3 version).

From the conversation in the ESO thread - join us @Mark_Asher! :)

I hear a calling…

So I’ve been playing this off and on for about 6 months now on the starter or trial version (whatever the version is now where you can play through Heavensword for free?) and I’m really enjoying it as a chill, very casual RPG that i only occasionally have to wait on other people to finish content. However I have a question about how progression works after I’ve finished the free content (and since i’m only in the early 30’s level right now i realize i have many hours to go until i reach the end of Heavensword).

Assuming i want to keep playing this after i reach the end of the free content what do i need to buy to continue? When i look at the store i just get confused and i’ve read reports of people buying the wrong version and then not being able to continue with their “free” character. So do i have to buy a certain version of the full game and then i have to pay a subscription as well correct?

Going from trial to paid you can do whatever. The biggest incompatibility is between Steam and non-Steam versions (and to be clear, your character can be played on any version - game is completely crossplay between PC and Playstation with shared servers). Steam and non-Steam are considered different platforms for license purposes but unlike adding Playstation you can only ever have one of Steam or PC linked to your account. Personally I’m on Steam which lets me use Steam Wallet. I’ve never run into any issues aside from sales on the expansions maybe not lining up.

The Complete Edition will have every expansion. For you it would probably make sense to wait until Endwalker comes out and gets rolled into the complete package, possibly even until it goes on sale this holiday.

Subscription is $13/mo for one character on a server, 8 total or $15/mo for up to 8 on a server, 40 total. Unless you’re into role-playing or very edge case high-end raiding you should only need one character since they can be every job.

Great thanks for the info! Yeah i keep getting sale emails from Square Enix which is why it’s on my mind but waiting until the latest expansion comes out is probably the right move, especially since i likely will just be finishing up the free content right around that time.

Ok here’s another (probably dumb) questions. So i just unlocked the Dragoon class (job?) for my level 35 Lancer. I assume i should be using the new Dragoon abilities in place of the lower level Lancer ones? Does Dragoon effectively replace Lancer so i just keep leveling up as Dragoon now?

Your current class is dictated by the weapon you are wielding. So to swap classes, just swap weapon. You can set up gear sets to allow you to switch gear (+ class) at the touch of a button.

EDIT: My mistake, I just realized that you are talking about a job…
Lancer is the base class and it evolves to a job, the Dragoon. You switch from Lancer to Dragoon by equipping its soul crystal. Once you have obtained a job then you continue levelling as that job. It is a progression Lancer → Dragoon.

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Job

Ok that makes sense, thanks!

So if I want to try the Steam version, it looks like I have to pay $20 for the Starter client. Is there a way to try the game for free and still use Steam?

This listing should let you try the trial through Steam.

Thanks for the link! Just what I was looking for. I’ve installed it and will check it out tonight or tomorrow.

I played this for a month in December 2017, and found it cute but ultimately boring - the zones didn’t feel like they had much character, I couldn’t find an interesting story to play, and the mechanics didn’t interest me that much - (I checked and my character was a /57 Dragoon, /32 Paladin and /15 Marauder).

Am I likely to feel any differently about it if I return now?

If you didn’t like the mechanics, the setting, or the story (or maybe you mean job? After about level 15 or so the starting city stories all converge into a single main storyline) no, probably not. There have been a ton of quality of life upgrades including a prune of some of the base game’s quest where it was becoming a slog for new players but fundamentally it’s still the same game as it was in 2017.

I’ve enjoyed it multiple times for about two months each time over the last few years. And then sort of petered out each time. The last time I got up to level 47 (I know, lame) and got my first advance Job (paladin). It wasn’t too grindy but I hit a bit of a wall when the forced grouping dungeons started being a thing. They aren’t everywhere but they are there and hindered my progression enough that I just kind of drifted away. I will say that the PUGs were almost always pleasant and didn’t complain about my initial poor play (there was a Pull skill I didn’t have yet and didn’t know about, hehe).

Multiple sources will tell you that the story picks up after a Realm Reborn, and really picks up after Heavensward. But that is a LOT of gametime to get there. I’m only level 40-something myself, and only around level 30 in the Main Story Quest, so still firmly in Realm Reborn so I can’t say how better it really gets.

The mechanics won’t change much (though you get many many more skills - some jobs don’t hit their stride until level 60+!). I suspect the zones won’t vary drastically either - some of that is just the age of the engine. So you’d be holding on purely on rumors that the story gets better…

Note that this is for the PC Non-Steam version.

This is where i start getting confused with this game. Can i take advantage of the sale pricing without paying for a subscription? I’m working my way through the post 2.0 ARR content prior to Heavensword so i’ve got a ways to go before i hit the end of the free content, however i’m likely going to hit that before the next expansion comes out. If i buy the current expansions now on sale do i have to start paying monthly or can i wait until i’m ready for that content? Also what’s the difference between standard, collectors, and complete edition?

You can buy a copy on sale and hold the code until you’re ready to use it. The trial version is able to play free with no subscription for an unlimited time period. However, as soon as you add a code it converts you to a “full” account. While it does come with 30 days for free, you’re locked in to paying a subscription after that and can’t convert back to a trial account.

Starter Edition: Converts you to a full account with access to A Realm Reborn and Heavensward
Shadowbringers Standard Edition: Only contains the latest expansion, Shadowbringers
Complete Edition: Converts you to a full account with all the expansions. This is the one you want.