Final Fantasy XVI - Crystals have shaped our history long enough

I was reminded recently that Tim Rogers (who is a huge Final Fantasy fan) lists his favorite Final Fantasy game as Lost Odyssey. I really should play that game from the beginning once I get a Series X. This time be ready when I hit the last disc and use a playthrough.

It looks like the FF 15 combat to me! Similar warping thing. I don’t think they showed any pausing but I’m sure it will still be there.

Or maybe it’s more like the FF 7 Remake combat.

My impression was that the combat in XVI feels like a mix of FF XV and the FF VII remake, though I haven’t played the latter - my impression comes from watching SunhiLegend GIFs of FF VIIR. Like this one:

I dislike the active battle combat in these games, I particularly hated 15 for it. This series is dead to me if they persist with this type of combat.

I’d pay a hundred bucks for a FF with turn based/4 party member combat again, or at the very least something like 10 again.

It would be my favorite too, if FF IV, VI, IX, X, XII and Tactics didn’t exist. .

Or maybe if the combat wasn’t so slow, frequent, and battles didn’t take as long. I would love a port with the extra boosts on recent ports of FF games, specifically the battle speed boost.

But it definitely is a FF game in spirit.

I’m disgusted by all the Devil May Cry hate in this thread. Screw you guys and the chocobo you rode in on.

I like DMC gameplay… in my DMC game. I don’t expect Devil May Cry 6 to have party turn-based combat.

And I got here on an airship (it was a castle!), not on one of those stinky chocobos!

Devil May Cry is a pox on history and should be eradicated.

Possibly in an idiotic move, I just bought Final Fantasy VI for the PS Vita.

I recently watched this Tim Rogers video of him talking about the game, and felt like it was a huge hole in my gaming vocabulary.

I played FF3 on Steam not too long ago, a year or so maybe. It was my … third time playing it all the way through, I think, with the first time being when I was in college and it dropped for the SNES. It was, for a very long time, my favorite RPG (before I was distinguishing between JRPG) and when I played it here last year or so I went all the way through it and just had an absolute blast. Some of that might have been nostolgia, and/or just being in the perfect mood for a game like that, but I think you’ll enjoy it.

I think I’ll enjoy it too. (Only thing I’m worried about is getting it on Vita, I’ve never played a game on there aside from Uncharted). I finally played Chronotrigger around 2004 on a modded Xbox. I really enjoyed that. At that time, I also tried FF 3(6), but it was kind of a weird shift from Chronotrigger, so I put it away.

Hopefully the PSP/Vita version has a time compression button. I never would have made it through Chronotrigger without one.

Interesting. They could call [FF16] Dark Final Thrones. I’m glad the combat doesn’t play itself.

It’s still my favorite, though I’ve only played up to FF IX.

I just saw this: (I hope I link it right)

Wow!

Oh nevermind. That was the first post! Drats!

You really should play 10, after that, meh, but 10…is…pretty damn good.

10 is fantastic, and tbh, 10-2 is weirdly amazing, if you can get past the absurd fanservice shit.

10 is great. But so is 12!

13-2 is my favorite of them all, but then again, I’m weird. ;)

He’s probably not going to see this reply, FYI.

10 is a fantastic FF game though, I recently played through it again and it’s probably the last of the classic Final Fantasy games. 12 is still my favorite mainline FF game though, followed by most of the older classics. I did enjoy FFXV to a degree at launch and it sounds like a lot of work has been done to that game in an attempt to make it a more engaging Final Fantasy experience, and I got it as part of PS Plus so I’m going to give it another shake.