Final Fantasy XVI - Crystals have shaped our history long enough

Ifrit, Titan, Garuda, Shiva, Ramuh, Phoenix (and I think there was a hint of Bahamut at one point)… war of the Eikons indeed.

And since Yoshi-P is behind this one, after playing FF XIV, I’m definitely going to play this one.

The bits of gameplay we have seen make this seem like it’s going to be really something special, so I’m hoping it’s as deep as it is pretty.

https://i.imgur.com/I19hxkU.gif

I just remembered this is going to be a PS5 exclusive for a while. That’s a little annoying. On the other hand, if it gets ported in a year or two, it shouldn’t be too hard to wait. As you get older, a 1 or 2 year wait seems like nothing. I can play other JRPGs exclusively in that time period if I wanted to, and still not run out of games I keep meaning to get to.

Uhhh… did you not see the State of Play trailer from June?

Just kidding. OR AM I?

This trailer actually had me chuckling at some of the self-serious cheesy dialogue. You gotta love it.

I still can’t follow a thing going on here though. I assume all the antagonists can summon the mega monsters in the game? Can the player character do any of that or is he just there to rein them in?

That’s what I meant when I said I hope we get to see how the gameplay/mechanics work. We don’t even know if the gameplay is party based yet.

LOL. I see you. :)

So, it’s FF XII meets Dragons Age.

Wait, what? PS5 exclusive? This is the first time I’ve been excited about a FF game since FF XII and I have to wait for a port? Ugh.

It’s pretty clear that each faction has someone who can summon/change into an Eikon. It’s sort of like Ysalle in FFXIV if you’ve played through the story. Given Yoshi P is making this, I expect some similar exploration of the summoning and the crystals.

I finally sat down and watched this, and it looks incredible. I like how it is going with the more Medieval fantasy setting instead of a more modern or futurist one.

The last one I played was FF12 on the PS2 but I never finished it. Before that it was FF9 on the PS1. 7 and 8 both on PC. Then we’re back on the SNES.

This looks like the series has come a long way.

Looks like PS5 exclusive for 6 months.

Imgur

If it’s 60 fps I’ll probably just get it there. Good enough.

Looks like a hands on press event from last week (?) in Japan had its embargo lifted this morning. Here is the video I started watching, I haven’t finished it yet nor read anything else so far, but I’m confused by everyone that keeps saying this really looks like a Final Fantasy game - to me it looks neat, but NOT Final Fanasy. I guess YMMV.

sigh Yeah. It looks flashy but it’s only Final Fantasy by virtue of its eikon/primal/esper/summon-themed paint job.

Skill Up was there too:

As someone who hates Devil May Cry, this just sounds like bad news to me, but I’ll try to keep an open mind I guess.

This is me as well, especially the bit about keeping an open mind.

Then again, I love Dragon’s Dogma, so … /shrug

Well, at the very least, if I don’t like the combat system, it sounds like I can play just for the story.

I’ll be annoyed if the “win the game for me” rings prevent you from equipping other, cooler items, but the base idea seems neat. On the other hand I own about ten Final Fantasies I haven’t beaten or even mostly played at all, so I’m not sure why I’m worried about having a tough time with one I won’t even be able to buy till 2024 at the earliest…

Oh yeah, I forgot about the long PS5 exclusivity thing. That’s annoying.

Still, when it comes to PC, I’m hoping to sink my teeth into a FF game for the first time since FFX.

I keep forgetting this is an exclusive! Well, that sucks. Hopefully, it comes to Xbox at some point.

Exclusivity runs 6 months so expect it on Xbox and EGS early 2024.