Fire Emblem Three Houses - Nintendo Switch GOTY Contender?

I read it and wouldn’t consider it a major spoiler. It has nothing to do with story beats or anything, merely what happens to the students you don’t pick in one word, which i think could be assumed.

That’s fair, like I said I didn’t see it myself, but quite a few people were really upset about it so I’ve just avoided it myself.

I totally understand for those wanting to go in totally blind, especially for those who’ve never played one before.

Yeah…that’d be me lol, I saw that tweet and was kinda bummed out. I’m not super spoiler averse, but as a newcomer, that seemed like a big deal.

So I carefully poked around, and it seems they have some limited form of rewind in the game? Is that true? That might put me over the line in giving this a shot.

Yeah, it has a Tactics Ogre style roll back you can do a set number of times per battle (three, I believe). The reason behind it is story related, I think it has to do with your character befriending some specific character early in the game whom grants these abilities? Not totally sure.

Another cool QoL feature that is neat for me (and maybe others that like this kind of information when playing SRPG’s) is the red lines - the game will alert you when a character is going to be targeted during the AI player turns and by which enemies by drawing red lines to them not just after they move, but while you are deciding which square to set them on - so if you see an ally that is low on health is going to be targeted you can plan around it by moving it, or putting other units near to draw fire.

you’re killing me smalls, etc etc.

sigh.

maybe the waifu thing won’t be too bad? maybe no kids this time? god is that too much to ask?

It’s been confirmed there’s no kids this time. No idea how the waifu thing will go, but at least there doesn’t seem to any face rubbing in this one.

Dear lord, is that as bad as it sounds?

Depends… does it sound better or worse if you need to blow gently on them as part of the process?

Fire Emblem has had a shaky history with perversion, imo, and for a long time I ignored the franchise even though I liked the game a lot back on the … NES, I want to say? But with Awakening (which I picked up just because the reviews were so good and I completed it and it was outstanding) I had read (and confirm) that a lot of the creepy stuff was toned down a bit. That may or may not have been true, I generally ignored the “romance” stuff in Awakenings, and will continue that trend, but it sounds like they really did tone a lot of that back with the only “creepy”-esque thing being having tea with someone, but that has an in-game benefit of increasing things like motivation for learning weapon arts and skills faster, so I’m okay with that, even if I won’t partake of that particular mini-game very often (if at all).

I’m really just hear to level up my units, equip cool loot, and kick ass in turn-based battles. The school stuff does sound really cool though, so I may end up liking that bit just as much?

So it sounds like it went deep into Japanese women objectivization around the early 2ks, and has been slowly coming back from it? I had no idea — I was a bit surprised by some of the… pictures, but I really didn’t expect Nintendo to venture into Konami and Koei’s swamps!

I’m not sure where Scott is getting that, that only started coming to the front a little bit with Awakening (reintroduction of kids) and heavily with Fates (where that face rubbing / microphone blowing came into play in the JPN version).

The immediately prior FE 11/12 were uninspired remakes of 1/2 on the DS and were butt-ugly (though 12 had apparently one of the best high difficulty levels for the hardcore strategy folks in the series, can’t speak to that) and sold poorly. FE9/10 are now cult classics, though they’re somewhat criticized mechanically (and they are very slow games). FE 7/8 on the GBA were excellent.

In all those entries waifuing was not a central part of the game - there were a few paired endings where X and Y ended up together if they max supported each other, etc. All the waifuing occurred in the fandom. Awakening brought it to the forefront.

So if I understand correctly, the English version was mostly spared it. Well, I’ll wait the verdict anyway!

Awakening was the first one (after playing the GBA ones and the Gamecube one) I thought had an ‘ick’ factor. You can image search the character designs for Fates to see how it developed from there, and it sounds like you already have. The designs for this one seem mostly okay, at least compared to Fates. However, the female protagonist’s decision to wear very short shorts is a bit suspect (certainly none of the professors I know dress like that). I really like the look of the male protagonist though.

They’re certainly doing interesting things in the soundtrack. Wonder which boss is getting that theme.

Honestly the first Fire Emblem I’d played since being a kid was Awakening, so I thought they were all a little creepy like that, and was glad when I read Fire Emblem is easing off on that stuff (which I did read were worse in subsequent games, but like in Awakening, entirely avoidable). If the series hasn’t been a somewhat creepy “waifu” hunting simulator before that, that’s all good in my book. It’s the worst aspect of the newer FE games, near as I can tell, and I plan to ignore it as much as possible and focus on the SRPG stuff, as well as the character stories and growth.

Will everyone be playing on Classic mode, i.e. permadeath?

That was likely playing through one campaign though. The game has three.

Several reviews mentioned there is actually somehow four. And unlike Fates, it’s not just the same story told from different perspectives, but rather a different tale - and one with multiple routes and decisions to make. It seems … crazy huge.

Nope. My time is too precious, and if I fuck up and can’t rewind time to save someone, I’d just end up replaying the mission anyway. I’d rather not have to replay missions unless I legit lose them.