Firewatch: Solve your midlife crisis in a mystery first person adventure

After completing Firewatch I read Tom’s review and while I appreciate his take and opinion I fundamentally disagree. I do think there is a schism in the games community of those that prefer/require fail states, decisions that impact the narrative/game state, and want games to clearly differentiate themselves from other media forms like film. Then there are people like me that enjoy all of that but also appreciate efforts like Firewatch, Dear Esther, and even Telltale games (which many deride for a lack of impact regarding player choice).

My two favorite forms of media are books and videogames since I believe those two give the individual engaging with them the most agency in the experience. This is true even of games like Firewatch and Dear Esther that only provide a subtle and minimalist degree of interaction and agency. Tom maintains that Firewatch would be best experienced as a short film and I personally disagree. It’s hard for me to articulate but being able to wander around the landscape at my own pace, subtly influence the dialogue, take memorable screenshots, and look where I want to all factor into having a more personal and engaging experience. Something a short film would miss entirely. I realize those inputs are minimal and quite subtle and may not be enough for others but they are experience-defining for me. A lot of the games community disparage Dear Esther but that game had a profound impact on me and that experience has lasted with me more than most gamified titles filled with mechanics. Dear Esther would NOT have worked as a short film even though I was only pressing W. My directed movement through the gorgeous terrain combined with the randomized narrative segments delivered a really unique and profound experience. Actually the absence of mechanics and fail states helped elevate the narrative and experience to something that transcended the expectations of film and conventional games. For me, giving camera control and movement to the player is enough agency to deliver something that lives with me more than passively watching a movie (though the latter benefits from complete directorial control). I have more of an emotional response to looking at my old screenshots of Dear Esther than nearly any other game.

This is all very subjective and personal, but I am just trying to argue that there is an appreciative audience for what others call “walking simulators”. Titles like Firewatch live in a unique niche in the games spectrum that is growing each year and something I am very thankful for. I love my mechanics-focused games too but I have room for both interpretations of the medium and get something from each.

-Todd

One day a man and his girlfriend took a trip to visit the fabled Wall of Text.

:)

Ha! Sorry I tried to fix that a bit. Think I slipped into a James Joyce stream-of-consciousness mode.

Regarding the disposable camera:

[SPOILER=]Did anybody take the option of getting your disposable camera pics developed as real-life 4x6 prints. I did last night but it will be a while before I get them shipped to me. A really interesting aspect of the game![/SPOILER]

-Todd

It’s a question if Firewatch is a “true” walking simulator since you do have a small influence in your relationship with Delilah. But I do think there is something about the criticism that a game about isolation and loneliness is afraid of leaving you alone for any amount of time. I recently picked up Thr Long Dark during what is turning into my what Year of Indie, and that is a game that makes you feel alone in a hostile but painterly wilderness, even though lacking the detail of Firewatch. In that respect because Firewatch has a story to tell but where the environment isn’t really part of the story, maybe there’s some friction.

OTOH Firewatch is memorable. And I’m starting to articulate a theory that games that aren’t memorable aren’t worth your time.

Just received my Firewatch physical prints from Campo Santo! I included a sampling below (sorry my picture of the prints isn’t that great and they’re catching a lot of reflected light). In person the prints look fantastic and a casual observer would think they were photos taken in the real world. This was really fun.

Nice touch with the packaging, the envelope was addressed to Henry and dated '89:

-Todd

That is pretty cool!

Just ordered mine last night.

I don’t think this is fair for the story as written, though I can see it would apply for the story as experienced on some playthroughs. Disagreement with spoilery comments follows:

Spoilers ahoy

I disagree that the backstory doesn’t come out again, though it definitely recedes into the background until the end (that is after all, why he took the job in the first place). For instance, when I went to the secret meeting meeting place, I (or rather, the character I was roleplaying) thought I was going to meet Delilah. So I picked up my wedding ring and put it on before I left the station. And there are plenty of other environmental cues that reference the history.

I don’t know if I’d agree that the characters leaps were all that weird, especially when you consider they’ve been more or less alone for months on end. The research station isn’t supposed to be there, so clearly it’s not “normal”. And the existence of something purporting to be a secret government research facility also points to the “conspiracy” interpretation of the transcript. As for the bit you describe about paranoia and red herrings, well, yeah, that’s the story. See also Gone Home with its occult trappings, though there inferences are all in the player’s head rather than the characters’.

As for the Goodwin subplot, again, of course it was going to have some importance in the narrative given that the game is dropping breadcrumbs for you all over the place. Almost every cache had a nugget of Goodwin story, and then there’s the various things in your tower and Brian’s fortress. If you didn’t find many of the breadcrumbs, I can see it being less impactful, but I’m not sure that undermines the story as written.

I am going to order mine now, and I agree with Todd completely. Even though the interaction in the game doesn’t have a large effect on the ending/story, it is what makes the experience unique and interesting when compared to a film.

Well this was a nice surprise. I could maybe list some shortcomings but it’s such a relief to do something that isn’t Approach the things - kill the things. Thumbs up!

Coming to Xbox One with new free roam mode and dev commentary. PC version gets updated with the goodies too.

[quote]
Along with the main game, we’re also shipping the Firewatch Audio Tour (a free update for all customers!) which we’ll talk a little bit more about tomorrow. The short version: one part scavenger hunt, one part museum tour, one part game dev workshop, mixed with a dash of inside Campo Santo goofs. We think you will like it very much.

Furthermore, we’re going to be rolling out a free-roam mode to all customers, beginning with Xbox One (again, you asked!). In free roam, you’ll be able to live in the Shoshone with a full day/night cycle and explore with a few hidden secrets.[/quote]

Sept 21st.

What we’re all thinking about: In free roam mode, can we get closer to the naked swimming girls?

Really awesome! Can’t wait to try the new stuff.

The audio tour stuff is live today!

Thanks for mentioning that. I would love to listen to that at some point. Such a great game.

Just wanted to chime to say i appreciate the points your review brought up better after some time and reflection. I agree that the self guided interactivity and pace of linear games do set them apart from other forms of media where similar stories might be reasonably ported. Although not agency for its own sake but because because you’re never sure - at least until you’ve completed the game - whether the decision you make are actually permanent or impactful, in interactive media like games. That is, your experience during the game might not match your reflections after the game has been completed and you are looking back at how much or little your decisions meant, but at the time those decisions and experiences felt urgent and doubtful.

We’ll see if this ever actually happens.

[quote]
Good Universe is teaming with independent video game developer and publishing company Campo Santo to develop content for both video games and feature films.

The companies will create a home for talent to develop projects that can bridge both the video game and feature film worlds. Their first project with be a film adaptation of Campo Santo’s first video game, Firewatch.[/quote]

Just finally got around to finishing this. The game I thought I was playing was quite a bit better than what I actually ended up playing.

Was I the only one who thought not only all the dialogue choices would have an actual impact but the camera had more significance too? I was thinking you had to take pictures of all these crazy events (the research camp, Ned’s hide out, the body, etc) and they would be used as evidence to prove Delilah and Henry’s version of the story, their innocence. You know maybe a police/court room scene. Turn it into phoenix wright at the end or something :-). So I went through the game carefully taking pictures for evidence and managing how many shots I had left only to have them used in the credits and merchandising. I enjoyed it for what it was but man I really felt it could have been SOOOO much more. Talk about missed opportunities.

This tweet thread is sort of a cool story of a kid who was inspired by Firewatch.

Now that is fantastic. What a way to drive a young person to pursue an interest. I’m very happy for that kid, that sparked what well might become a lifelong interest.