First Star Wars standalone movie: Rogue One

[quote=“Pyperkub, post:741, topic:76559”] I must admit I haven’t seen episode 3.
[/quote]

While ep3 is the best of that trilogy, that’s not exactly an endorsement. It will not affect your ranking above. I absolutely agree with whoever above said the original trilogy now contains 4 movies.

There are peoe who think Ep 3 is better than Ep 1 and viceversa. The former I think will prefer Rogue One, while the latter will prefer The Force Awakens.

I belong to the latter group.

I think it’s about what you think Star Wars is really about and how seriously you take it. (also how much you care about technical aspects of filmmaking like direction of actors, composition and shot progression… Etc).

I’m not sure why you would want to waste brain cells comparing episodes 1 through 3. They are so very very bad it hardly matters which is better or worse. Bad writing, bad casting, bad acting, all around horrible.

Well thats not true at all. I preferred Ep 3 over 1 and while I liked Rogue One for what it is, I did not prefer it over TFA. Frankly Rogue One and TFA are two completely different movies with different styles, both of which can be enjoyed by the same fan. OTOH Ep1 and Ep3 are both hot messes and differentiating them is kind of like choosing if you would rather be hit in the balls with a baseball bat or line drive. With those two movies its not about the pain but how the pain is delivered.

Yeah, as far as I’m concerned the prequels of '99 through whenever were a monumental waste of the time, money and talents of everyone involved from the producers, “writers” and directors to the cast and crew to the kids ripping the movie tickets in half to the unfortunate victims that were the audiences. Those movies SUH-UCKED.

TFA and Rogue One have been a proper return to form for the franchise. I liked Rogue One better mostly because I cared more about the poor, doomed characters. Also, (from a hetero male perspective) I think Felicity Jones is the bee’s knees.

There were some incredible tracks on the soundtrack front in those movies, I mean real quality stuff.

OK, maybe the music in isolation, granted. I never even watched the second two in their entirety, ever, so great was my distaste for Episode One. One time, Attack of the Clones was being shown on TV late at night and I figured I’d record it. Got as far as less than 10 minutes in when our friend Jar Jar showed up and said NOPE. Did they learn nothing??

I’ll have to look up the OSTs. Thanks for the tip.

To be clear, I’m not really disagreeing with you. I think there are a lot of movies out there that are a lot worse than those three, but for the series they were pretty bad. Here’s the thing though… they kept the franchise alive, and there is a generation of kids who watched those neon CGI filled movies and the animated series that are now shifting to TFA or Rogue One, maybe both. There’s value in that in addition to the fact that the scores in these movies were actually well done, the stand out is probably “Across the Stars” (if only the actual love story came close to it), and “Duel of Fates”. There are several more though.

The worst blunder for the prequels was when they released the Ep1 soundtrack before the movie and we all saw the song title “Qui-Qon’s Funeral.”

Hm. Dialog was even worse than I remembered…

The most powerful scene in the entire franchise is in the third act of Jedi, with Vader/Anakin’s redemption. For that reason alone, Rogue One has to go after Jedi, for me.

I really enjoyed Rogue One, hell of a film with all the incredible battle scenes both in space and on ground. But there was very little emotional impact. The characters felt a bit too flat. That or the lack of chemistry…can’t really put my finger on it. It just lacked heart.

I still liked it better than Awakens due to that film’s rehashing of the originals, but the characters were more likeable, better presented in Awakens.

But that 2nd scene with Vader. So satisfying. I thought James Earl Jone’s voice was mixed too high in his first scene, though. And it sounded too natural, less coming-out-of-a-machine as it did in the originals.

Finally saw it, liked it, probably my 3rd favorite Star Wars movie. But nobody should pay much attention to that, as I’m barely a big enough Star Wars fan to get my geek license renewed.

Overall it was probably really about as good as TFA, but I liked what Rogue One tried to do better. TFA felt much like most latter-day Bond movies - it was a remix of things people liked about previous movies, and presented as exactly that. “Hey, remember those great ski chases? We’ve got another coming up! Except this time it’s in Austria instead of Switzerland.”

There’s still a bunch of that in RO (or is it R1? I didn’t get an acronym memo) but the crucial thing is that RO made me believe the characters didn’t know they were in a Star Wars movie - they actually felt like they were going in blind and fighting a possibly hopeless battle, even though we the audience know what happens eventually. So I bought into the the whole war-movie framework, and it made the movie much better.

It had one big flaw, though - the characters were completely undercooked. Now it’s not like characters in this sort of movie are normally all that deep, but usually the screenwriter goes in and gives each member of the ragtag band of doomed misfits a brief moment in the sun - a scene, a line, a gimmick. Apart from Blind Martial Artist dude, that never really happened. And the characters themselves felt like they never got past the early brainstorming stage - Blind Martial Artist dude felt like he was simply copied and pasted from a list of Pop Culture Tropes Star Wars Hasn’t Nicked From Yet, and his sidekick never felt like he got beyond the descriptor “sidekick.” So when we got to the end, I didn’t feel nearly as much as I should have.

(It’s actually much easier with reality-based war movies. There you don’t even need to create a compelling little cameo of a character, you just need to convince the audience that this is an everyday person you might meet in normal life and let the brutality of war do the rest.)

So I liked it as a Star Wars movie, but in terms of ragtag band of doomed misfits movies it’s no Seven Samurai/Dirty Dozen/Great Escape/Wild Bunch. It’s not even a Guardians of the Galaxy. (Honestly if I could count Guardians of the Galaxy as a Star Wars movie, it’d be my third favorite. So like I said, not exactly a Star Wars die-hard.)

[quote=“Relayer71, post:752, topic:76559, full:true”]The most powerful scene in the entire franchise is in the third act of Jedi, with Vader/Anakin’s redemption. For that reason alone, Rogue One has to go after Jedi, for me.
[/quote]

I’ll see your throne room scene and raise you a Jedi Rocks musical. In either version. Also, ewoks.

But I did already agree with you about act three.

Went to see it tonight. The movie restarted 5 times around the 1-hour mark when they crash on Eadu or whatever it is called, we sat there for 45 minutes, and finally around 2330 they sent us all home with rainchecks.

I really wasn’t feeling anything exciting by that point. Is it worth going to finish if I wasn’t into it then, or should I try and find something else to do with my freebie?

And where’s the explanation for why a vessel with diplomatic immunity(carrying a high level spy) is in the middle of a huge battle? To put this in context: say Hillary Clinton was an agent of Putin(completely hypothetical, btw). The finale of this flick makes as much sense as Hillary accompanying the Russian air force into battle over eastern Ukraine, in her private jet.

Oh yeah, the father took the risk of smuggling a message to his daughter… and did not just tell her where the fucking exhaust port is in the message. All he had to do was say: “The death star is a sphere of radius r, there’s an exhaust port at spherical coordinates d, theta, phi”. Then his bland daughter might have lived to have kids herself.

So, yeah, besides being a turgid rehash, it also makes a mess of a once straight forward plot. This really did feel like a $200m adaptation of an EU tie-in novel. The worst kind of tie-in too; the one that fills in gaps between movies. Marvel’s comic series(s) also inexplicably takes place in between the original movies(a like, 1-2 year period, at most?). A rule of screenwriting is: set your story during the most important part. Nothing important happens in between the movies of the original trilogy. They would not have been good movies otherwise. So along with the other prequels, a once well constructed story is now turned into a narrative shanty town.

Also, the director’s claim that reshoots were always part of the plan is BS. They brought in Tony Gilroy for a 5 million dollar last minute rewrite. I don’t think that was part of the plan.

Also, wasn’t the Death Star supposed to be about preventing mass uprisings through fear, not destroying an insurgency? If they have to hide from the Empire, and flee whenever imperials show up in force(The Empire Strikes Back), what exactly is the point of the Death Star?

EDIT: I looked it up, it seems they had planetary wide shields on Hoth. So I guess the Death Star could expedite swatting a rebel base.

The extended battle scene at the end is the best part. If you weren’t feeling it after an hour, however, not sure it’s worth sitting through that first hour again.

It’s better than the second trilogy and arguably better than The Force Awakens, but that’s not setting a high bar.

Why are you asking me?

Quit dodging the question! Your Honor, permission to treat the witness as hostile?

Also, that whole Force thing sounds fishy…