Five Guys burgers: I just don't get it

It’s about a 5 minute drive home from Culver’s and the cheese curds are pretty much gone by the time I get there. On the burger side, I think their burgers are good, but not something I crave. I usually end up at Culver’s because I desire chicken tenders.

I believe fortune cookies are an American invention, as is much of what we consider Chinese food.

Yeah, I heard a TED talk on that once. It was invented by the Japanese in the U.S. And then when the Japanese were taken to internment camps in World World 2, the Chinese saw an opportunity because the demand was still there, but no Japanese to fill the demand.

I think you are right, I had forgotten about the Japanese connection, but I do remember something like that.

I find the concept of demand for fortune cookies hard to comprehend.

They taste like sweet cardboard, but the fortunes are a nice little finish to a meal.

The wife bought a box of fortune cookies for a party she catered. Didn’t use them all. When I’m in the mood for something sweet and there is nothing else, I’ll eat a few. Then regret it.

I may be one of the only people on the planet who actually likes fortune cookies. Rest of my family, even my 6 year old, won’t eat them. He keeps trying, making a face, then spitting them back out.

Truly fancy has some kind of weird secondary fatty meat layer on top of the main burger. This is not a chain thing, however, more of a $25 gastropub thing. The one example of this kind I ate was surprisingly good, but I’m blanking on the culinary term for this extra-fatty-meat-stuff.

Gilding the lily.

I like my lily medium well, with a chocolate shake.

Wow, your house is like a Dostoevsky novel…set in a Chinese take out.

When I was living in New York, a bunch of us would regularly go to Chinatown for dinner on Friday nights. One time, when we were finishing up, we noticed that we hadn’t been served the fortune cookies. The waiter sheepishly explained that all they had left were the X-rated ones. “Well bring 'em over!” we practically shouted. In all my decades of eating Chinese food, it’s the only time a fortune cookie told me to go fuck myself.

I lament the switch from Chinese restaurants serving fortune cookies instead of almond cookies. Every now and then I buy a box of them just to comfort eat.

Well, almond cookies are like…actually kind of good.

Chinese almond cookies are awesome. Crumbly and dry, great with tea.

“To go wrong in one’s own way is better than to go right in someone else’s.”
― Fyodor Dostoevsky

Well, now I just want some damn fortune cookies.

I opened a fortune cookie once that had nothing inside. Miraculously, I’m still alive (according to reliable witnesses).

In the Greater Toronto Area, the Chinese restaurants usually serve red bean soup for dessert. Unless the table is full of non-Chinese, in which case the soup is replaced with fortune cookies.