Flash Forward

Why anyone who hates Lost would watch Flash Forward is beyond me, since it is intended to try and get the Lost junkies to buy into another six year plan of a single continuous story spread out over a big cast.

Lost is more compelling to me because it was a mystery from the word go. You didn’t know where it was going beyond it was some strange mixture of Mysterious Island meets The Prisoner with a bit of getting voted off the island Survivor. If you didn’t think it would end up as science fiction you weren’t paying attention. And as to forever stalling, the storyline has speed up considerably.

But if you feel differently, dunno why you’d watch FF. The McGuffin is interesting, but were any of you at all surprised that the big dramatic revelation was that someone was walking around during the blackout? Bets that it was Fox Mulder? And what happens in one year when all the visions are resolved? I the ratings are good, everyone blacks out again. If not…

It could take off, and it could crash and burn worse than any Oceanic flight. I just miss Pushing Daisies.

I’m kinda’ anticipating that the black out will end up being only the kickoff for a chain of weirdo events.

That’s not based on anything beyond a hunch, but if they’re still just blathering about their visions and whether or not they’ll come true halfway through the season - I don’t think I could keep on it. Assuming that I end up digging the characters and like, that is.

If it just ends up being more of a 24-style ‘uncover the conspirators’ instead of ‘chase down supernatural occurences’, that’d be a pretty hard bait-n-switch for the demographic.

I really need to check out Daisies - wish it would come to Netflix Instant.

Time zones, dude. Duh. They’re obviously one parallel universe to the east. That’s like 4300 time zones over.

Wait, this isn’t a miniseries?

I am constantly impressed by the lows television reaches for.

It’s not a miniseries, but the way the show is being written, it could wrap up at the end of its season and not, you know, be Invasion.

As a show on ABC, right now they’ve got a serious problem with their Hot Guy With No Shirt On quotient - specifically, they don’t have one of those yet. The part about Lost that all of the “the next Lost” shows seem to have missed is the wad of average housewives who like to tune in and watch a couple of ripped dudes with their nipples hanging out for no particularly good reason wrestle with each other for the love of a flighty skank. They could get there, but I can’t think of many of the men on the cast that can easily slot into the Hunky Sawyer role. Also, I’m not sure I can accept Seth MacFarlane as anything but a joke at this point, but that’s just me.

About the show in particular, I thought it was pretty good but really not great. Their sense of time is completely and utterly borked (I think that the first episode took place over the course of, like, a week, but they were doing that thing where there were night scenes that followed day scenes and you didn’t know if it was the next night or the night before or if the other scene wasn’t a day scene or what), they didn’t spend enough time with any of their characters, and there aren’t nearly enough skeptics of this whole “remembering the future” thing. Supernatural shows sometimes (frequently) fail to be fun any more at the point that everybody accepts as a given the proposition that we all hallucinated six months from now because of…well, we did, okay?

I hope that the show gets its full season run. The reruns on Friday actually played like gangbusters and there’s been at least a decent marketing push behind the show, so I’m hopeful that this will become the next genre show on ABC. It has its problems for the network, but it’s good enough for me to come back for more.

I was waiting for some gag or quirk to come out of it. That he played it straight is perplexing. Really didn’t expect that coming.

He tried to launch a sitcom, too, right? Seems like he’s scrambling for any foothold he can find while he’s on top.

He produced a sitcom featuring Rob Cordry and not starring him in any role that wasn’t terrible, but failed because Fox has a terrible, terrible record with live action sitcoms.

I knew he was going to play it straight, which was okay, but he just looked kind of like a giant hairy baby and sounded like the voice of every Sunday night. Kind of took me out of things. I think he’s supposed to be “the spooky weird guy agent” if I remember that one podcast correctly, though, so I’m willing to see how it goes for him.

Awesome. I really did laugh out loud when I read that. Well done!

When they said, “How are we going to piece together all the stories of everyone on the planet?”

“Let’s set up a website!”

I groaned.

Ladies and gentlemen, tell ABC what you saw during your flash forward:

http://www.jointhemosaic.com

But of course it’s all heavily branded so no one could mistake it for anything other than a TV show website. Wouldn’t want crazy people thinking it was actually real or anything.

The ARGer in me weeps.

Looks like additional consequences of the event include flinging Gainesville out into the Atlantic ocean.

There’s a Lost character who has put in his flash forward.

Apparently this is over now. It was active before the premiere to build buzz.

The pilot was pretty interesting. Plenty of action and the concept could work. Seems like it’ll be solid for at least a season

Good follow-up episode. A little more mystery revealed, a few more connections made, just enough of everything to keep me curious. Also, the boss’s flash forward was hilarious.

Not sure what to make of the hacker guy in the warehouse with all the dolls. Obviously he’s working for someone else, and I guess we’re supposed to conclude that it’s the mysterious D. Givens or whatever his name is? Was it hacker guy that made the call to the stadium guy, or D. Givens? Or are they the same guy? I was trying to get the kids to bed during the whole warehouse scene and shortly thereafter, so I didn’t see if they caught hacker guy or if he fried himself.

Mysterious hacker guy set off an explosion in the doll warehouse and escaped through a vent. It seemed like it was supposed to be D. Gibbons.

Fiennes daughter at the end said, in reference to her FF, that D. Gibbons was a bad man.

OK, so same guy AND he escaped. Thanks, I did miss that. I caught the reference at the end from the daughter, which is part of why I thought maybe the hacker and DG were two different people. Guess not. Cupcake lady DG was funny.

So big question #2 now is since Noh knows his future (when and how he’s supposed to die) can he change it?

I like this show.

I think I like this show. Certainly the scene with the bathroom had me surprised and snickering. The one thing that consistently bothers me? Joseph Fiennes’ American accent. The least they could have done is given him some sort of back story that explains he was born and raised in England to explain why the hell he talks like that.

So, I think I’ll make it a slightly guilty pleasure to watch this show for a while and then snark about it here.

Let the snarking begin!

(Well, continue actually…)

So, the DHS senior person at the beginning was way over the top. You mean, you want to spend MILLIONS of dollars on a website investigating the biggest mystery in the history of the United States?

Well, umm, yeah. Duh.

Millions in a matter of days, billions probably in a matter of weeks (not necessarily just for the website, but for a variety of investigation and research efforts).

And again we get this image that this one office in LA with a handful of investigators is pretty much the prime moving force on the whole investigation - very little sense of the reaction of the rest of the country and world.

I think this episode is set roughly 3 days post FF. By this time, there would actually be a ton of information floating around. Simple stuff (the fact that the FF occurred on the hour, and that’s not likely a coincidence) would be understood not only by DHS senior employees, but by my kids in elementary school.

Assuming the massive efforts that would actually occur to map out the FFs that people have had and what they said about the time between the FF and the future vision, there would likely be dozens, hundreds, or more of data points on things that the future visions told of, retroactively, for the 3 days already elapsed. (If 1% of the people in the US had an FF vision that gave them some tidbit about the past, that’s 3 million people. Presumably some of those tidbits would identifiably be tied to the days shortly after the FF.) People would already be trying to identify how locked in the FF visions were and in some cases experimenting with altering them.

For someone who knew that the visions predicted death or serious misfortune, presumably many would take significant measures to alter that future. If you know you are supposed to die in Los Angeles on future date X, then maybe you take a plane trip to Rome and lock yourself in a hotel room there or something.

Wow, the second episode was shit. Terrible dialogue, transparent plotting, and it looks like every episode is going to be them trying and failing to prevent the future, 12 Monkeys style. Unsubscribed.

I just watched the second episode and agree with Bob’s brief summary. It was just kinda dull. Because of the premise and potential for improvement (fingers crossed), I am not ready to unsubscribe, but I am going to need more than what we are being fed thusfar.

We get it, you saw a bunch of stuff and it is coming true. The way they are throwing all the evidence together isn’t terribly interesting. All of the “I am overwrought about my future” scenes and then flashbacks to the single, previous episode that reiterates it were all unnecessary. “Let’s get back to what you are really concerned about, its your future, not mine”…“You’re hoping yours does come true and I am hoping mine doesn’t”. They were not repeated verbatim, but there sure seemed to be a lot of redundancy.

Some forward speculation:

More slow deterioration between the relationship of the main couple. Increased involvement between the wife and the father of the autistic boy. All played out very slowly over the course of a lot of episodes.

Every episode another few links in a chain of people and events trying to solve the mystery.

I probably feel like I’m wasting my time by about the 5th episode, but probably decide to stick out season 1. The finale leaves too many loose ends and I get irritated with the show and pretty much drop it (but maybe watch part of an episode or two next season).