Flashlights are pretty awesome these days

Any opinion on these led pocket lights? I was thinking of getting this one as a cheap gift for a few friends this Christmas:

http://www.sears.com/nebo-6352-larry-c-170-lm-c/p-SPM8884188629?sid=IDx20110310x00001i&gclid=CIvv6aSc2dACFQkyaQodAtcEuw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Should have mentioned, I searched a bit and found these recommended as good bang for the buck dual AA lights:

I compared them with my 2x the price double AA Fenix lights from say 2012 and the main difference I noticed is that the beam is way more bright and even across a larger arc, perhaps a little brighter overall, but the “width” of the light beam was substantially improved.

I got the impression LED flashlight tech has kinda peaked around 2013 in terms of big improvements every year, is that true?

These lights, especially at higher-end of consumer market, are judged in more specialized ways now. Some have deep domed reflectors designed for super focus and a small hotspot, which makes a “thrower” – a light which makes a bright beam at as long a distance as possible. Maybe useful if you are a Search&Rescue person or need to put a bright light on something at 400meters I suppose? Most people need a more general purpose light with more spill, and a wider and more uniform beam is better for looking around the backyard or “hold this while I change the hose” purposes. Some of these lights cost hundreds$ so you really need to know what you are shopping for.

I’m looking at tactical flashlights. The ability to throw 2,000 lumens in a beam hundreds of yards away.

Ah, a discerning customer
http://wasteland.gamepedia.com/Photon_cannon

This is the place I got my recs from. Anything objectionable here?

Now I feel like I need a flashlight.

Bought one for a trip a few years back, that you could crank (?) to create power for. It also had an extra connector so you could charge a mobile phone with it, unfortunately it doesn’t have a usb-connector so I cant charge more modern phones with it.

Just wanted to report back in that the NEBO Larry C lights I bought are fantastic. I actually bought 3 more so I have 6 now around the house. I added a el-cheapo camera strap to each one so I can hang them.

The final 2 incandescent flashlights are gone from the house.

It’s worth getting a new one. They have come a long way, akin to going from a 386 PC to a modern laptop. The weight, run time, brightness, light spread, everything has changed. I bought one a few years ago based on a thread here and landed on one that took either a single AA battery or a 14500 battery for extended use. It weighs practically nothing, fits in the palm of my hand and lights a very large area when I’m walking the dog at night. In the house they will throw off enough light to see almost an entire room pretty clearly from total darkness. The technology is still changing a lot, and the newer LEDs are even more efficient than the one I have. I paid ~ $10 bucks per flashlight. Worth it.

I can’t believe it’s been 5 years since I bought my 800-lumen Maelstrom S12.

5 years is a long time. So I just ordered this baby. It’s smaller. It’s thinner. It’s USB-rechargeable. And it’s 2000 lumens in the size of a double-A flashlight.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KZ88MA6/

I just wanted to thank you for highlighting these. I picked these up for myself + family members for small gifts and they are awesome. We used one when putting a pc together as you can position this pretty easily anywhere on a steel case ;-)

This Eh?

https://www.amazon.com/Nebo-Larry-LED-Flashlight-Lumens/dp/B015D7VR92

Yeah they are great, gave a few as gifts and bought a few more for home.

Received my Klarus XT11GT today, and, yowsa, what a light.

Right out of the box, it feels solid. Not just well-made, but it almost feels like a solid piece of carved aluminum through and through. Good heft for its small size.

Charged it up to full (via USB), as well as my two other LED lights. My FourSevens Malestrom S12 (800 lumens), and a generic 1,000 lumen LED light I picked up off of Amazon 3 years back.

It’s currently at the freezing temperature in Seattle, so I found my nice darkened field and let 'em rip.

Klarus wins, hands down, in terms of brightness, throw, and flood, and it’s not even close. I’m seriously lighting up whole houses 150 yards away. Really amazing considering its small size. It comes with a nice little holster, too, so it’s really easy to carry this thing around.

All right, I decided to buy this thing. 5100 Lumens for $220.

Four 18650 batteries, though the battery pack has a built in mini-usb charger which is nice.

Got this recently. Pretty good for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G8E3T4K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Don’t bump this thread guys, flashlights are my 2nd favorite addiction next to video games.

Fuck that noise, I’m not stopping until I have a literal lightsaber

I fell prey to this thread in its early days, when 200 lumens was doing good.
I ended up with a small form-factor 220 lumens flashlight that set me back a whopping $25 (A Coleman Max). The light was indeed impressive, and I haven’t had the urge to replace it yet. I use the damn thing all the time. Three triple-A batteries will last a year in the thing.

I can only imagine how amazed I would be with @wumpus’ 5100 lumens light. These things just keep getting better and better.

Winter is coming, and the nights are getting longer. You need a better flashlight!