Flashlights are pretty awesome these days

That’s not a flashlight though. It’s a damn spotlight. That goes in the spotlight thread!

Still though, it does make me wonder about how relevant all these numbers are, when a reviewer of that spotlight says it will light up their entire street, and some reviewers of lower-power-numbered flashlights say the same thing.

I think I’ve reached a point where I’ve pretty much said, “Okay, that’s plenty bright enough.” In my case, that would be the 200 lumens Coleman flashlight I bought back in the very early days of this thread (and still works like new, and doesn’t need special batteries).

LOL

You think it really gets 18 million candlepower from a 130w halogen bulb?

You know the FTC is in the pocket of Big LED.

I’m pretty satisfied with a couple of 400 lumen usb rechargeable flashlights:

I actually did in fact question this, because that sounds like a really big number, but I have no idea what kind of max light output would come from that.

But on some level, it’s rated as such, so… yeah? I mean, candlepower isn’t some subjective measurement, right? If it was way less, then you’d think they’d be liable for false advertising.

130W is a lot of power… The thing essentially has a car-battery in it, and with a full charge only lasts half an hour. And in a spotlight, that light is being focused into a tight beam, so everything is going onto that focused point.

I’m actually amazed at how quickly the price came down on these. Compare the beginning of the thread to now, and the prices and specs are insane.

Why are you replying to me? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Light obeys the inverse square law. So 18000000 candela at one meter is a measly 18 candela at one kilometer.

He didn’t specify that the airliner was actually flying!

Because you posted a photo of the item in question. Sorry if that confused you.

I was just replying to the comment that it was a huge spotlight by showing off how big that thing was, I don’t know anything about it. Sorry for the confusion.

The number of CFM put out by basic home compressors has been found to be way lower than they advertise. And nobody seems to care that the manufacturers lie.

Can someone recommend me a torch. I need something that is bright (1000 lumens or more) and will last for 2.5 hours or more at that light level, be rechargeable and ideally be small.

Not sure how you define ‘small’, but I use the 400 lumen Anker all the time (linked above - it is much much smaller than the 1300 lumen model).

Do you need it to remain over 1000 for 2.5 hours+? Lights that can do that tend not to be small. But there are a bunch of lights that can do 1000+ for xx minutes before needing to drop to a lower brightness level in order cool down or deal with lower remaining voltage from their single 18650 / 2170 battery.

Hi @MichaelD, in an ideal world yes. Or am I being over ambitious? Essentially I need a bright light that will last for a couple of hours. Is 1000 overkill?

I like the Thrunite TC20. It’s very compact, if a bit stubby, and it lasts about 100 minutes with over 1000 lumens.

On smaller devices, you usually start running into thermal throttling somewhere between 700 & 800 measured lumens.

Source

That’s using a 2170 battery in a Zebralight SC700D on medium brightness (you can get a little bit more brightnesss at the same setting with the non-daylight models — good, neutral lighting is a bit more power hungry, but worth it imo). Max on that light is 3000 lumens, but neither the battery nor thermal dissipation can support that for long.

These are pocketable single-cell flashlights using the best available small battery.

If you’re willing to give up a bit more in size, you will find a bunch of multi-cell 18650 options that also have enough surface area to avoid thermal throttling. But they’re less pocketable (some will fit in a jacket pocket though).

So what’s everyone got these days? Our power was out last night and it occurred to me I don’t really have anything great around the house. I want two or three obnoxiously bright flashlights that:

• run on AA or AAA batteries (and don’t suffer if I’m using rechargeables, not sure if that’s an issue?)
  • can be stood upright on their end

The last cool flashlight I got years ago from this thread was one of those FourSevens but it used a less common battery size, so not ideal for keeping in use around the house with the rechargeables we already have.