Flex alert - air conditioners

A couple days ago, the heat index here was 121. AWESOME!

Oh yeah another awesome thing that the heat has brought is ANTS! Mothefucking cocksucking ants.

I was doing some reading and when it gets Unfuckinggodly hot out the ants decide that its time to make your home their new home. So for the past 4 days I’ve been fighting a massive ant assault on my home.

I am about ready to give up because they have me in sheer numbers.

Fucking ants.

Oh yeah and the real fucked up thing is that they didnt start downstairs in the kitchen they decided that the best place to make their assault was in the master bedroom on the second floor!

Ah, life in the tropics. Holy fuck we gotta move.

We had that here last week. The problem we had was fire ants, which really suck ass. I was watching football on the couch when one decided to get me on the arm. I called our Orkin dude up and told him to come solve the problem. He came out the next morning and said it was this was all he was treating lately. It had been wet all this time, which allowed them to really build up in numbers easily, and the last week or so it got hot and dry long enough for them to start coming in looking for moisture. He drenched the entire perimeter of the house, dusted all the brick weepholes, and then granulated the yard. My ground water should have a nice zing to it in about 25 years. :)

The weather here in Denver is pretty good. We’ve had a bunch of 90+ days here this summer (I think we hit 100 a few times too), but it’s so dry that it’s not unbearable. The thin air also means temps usually drop about 30 degrees overnight. However, our utility company regularly offers us $25 to install a gizmo that will, in order to serve us better, shut off our AC automatically. There’s some bullshit about it being intermittent, we’ll never notice. Fuck that. We didn’t spend thousands installing it so that it could be automatically shut off exactly when it has the most value.

About 10 years ago on a summer road trip to Los Angeles, we stopped in Baker, CA for a pit stop. There’s a “giant” thermometer there. I was heckling it as we pulled in, it’s really not that big, and it didn’t really work like a thermometer, it just had a digital readout on top. Plus, it wasn’t even working right, it was just stuck on 115 or something absurd.

Then I opened the car door and did a Kramer style slapstick take as the heat smacked me.

Its a crazy year for weather. Its rained non stop in a lot of Texas and its been a very cool summer. In San Antonio we have not cracked 100 and only had a handful of 95F days. In 2006 there was like 140 95F+ days.

He did the right thing. Icing up most often happens when the AC is set too low, not giving the chance for the unit to cycle and defrost. Setting it slightly higher or switching it off every so often will help a lot. Beyond that, the two most common things that contribute to icing up are a dirty coil, or low refrigerant.

Not that I’m an HVAC person, but I’ve gotten the whole spiel before when I had the same thing happen.

Needed to find new AC’s so I was doing some BTU calculations for a warm room with 4 people and a bunch of equipment. Ran into useful guide. So my 6800gt, x2 4400 with

One watt of energy equals 3.412 BTUs per hour.

so,

100 watts = 341 BTU’s
400 watts = 1364 BTU’s = 1 Person

70 Watts = 238 BTU = 2407FPW
150 watts = 511 BTU = 22" CRT = 7800gt at peak

Source: Re: How do I calculate how much heat computer components generate.