Fly the not-so-friendly skies

What throws me is the other video of him muttering “kill me now, kill me now.” Am I mishearing it?

The man was knocked unconscious. He might even have a concussion at that point.

Maybe I fly a lot or something, but I can’t be the only person who has seen some people on the verge of freaking out on a plane right… under normal circumstances?

Yikes, was he unconscious? I know he took a bang on the head, but didn’t realize it was that serious.

Not really here nor there, but I can tell you from recent personal experience that there’s little consideration given for these anymore. Didn’t even discount the tickets for us, though they did give us a few $200 vouchers for use in the next 12 months. Yay.

That’s a different thing entirely. Keep in mind that the ticket contract guarantees you a seat on a flight from that carrier to that destination. The guarantee isn’t technically for that specific flight number. Flights get cancelled all the time due to weather or mechanical reasons. The linked story was for “advance seat assignment” charges.

I don’t think you read my link where United testifies about guaranteed seats to regulators. I mean this whole situation is weird. I am not even sure what regulation they hit because these people were already seated. This not a typical overbooked scenario.

They’re not really going to release PHI like that to the public but when he’s being dragged down the aisle, he looks like he might be stunned, or unconscious or incoherent.

I don’t doubt you. United is going to bump a bereavement seat before they’d ever bump a frequent flyer business class guy that buys a few thousand in tickets a year.

Ya, that’s totally a possibility, that he had some kind of traumatic head injury (although, if that’s the case, then there’s some serious shit going on… I mean, that’s a pretty crazy response. That’s not a normal concussion response.)

But like soondifferent said, muttering “kill me now” over and over again is kind of odd.

Again, not excusing anything, or blaming him. Just pointing out that the second video with him muttering like that was really weird, and different from the one where they drag him out of the seat.

Consumer rights is an issue the Dems need to make their highest priority in 2018 and 2020- seriously. It’s something even moderate Republicans are outraged at, and something very easy to attack all Republicans with.

No. I read it. The story says this:

[quote]
In September 2014 comments to federal officials, the Chicago-based airline outlined its opposition to proposed rules that sought more disclosure of the fees airlines charge to customers. One of the rules at issue was designed to compel airlines to more explicitly disclose fees charged for reserving specific seats.[/quote]

It’s not just about fees though. it also talks about whether or not paying more guarantees you a seat whereas not paying doesn’t. If one removes you from the randomly booted off the plane pool, that implies there is more of a guarantee.

Right. For the advance assignment charges. That’s different from the normal ticket price difference between business and coach or whatever. The story even concludes with this:

[quote]
Federal rules do not prohibit airlines from overbooking flights. Despite United’s assurance to federal regulators in 2014 that it guarantees seats for all ticketed passengers, the fine print of the airline’s “contract of carriage” agreement on its tickets says the company retains a right to bump passengers off flights for myriad reasons.[/quote]

Basically, the story is worthless. The writer was trying to draw a link between the current issue and the regulatory hearing, but it’s not relevant at all.

see above

Sigh. OK. Read it however you want. The airlines are still going to bump you according to their whims.

You still have a “seat” when they bump you. Just not on that particular flight.

If you play for the extra leg room, are you in the random pool or not Telefrog. If you can’t answer that, and I don’t think anyone can, then that’s relevant.

Sorry, but I haven’t been following your discussion about who gets bumped… but I think that the folks who get bumped are the folks who have paid the least amount of money for their seats. I don’t think it’s really random at all.

Your ticket price weights your nomination. Every airline has said this. It’s not a secret.

Ya, they do that because they may be forced to pay you a penalty based directly on the price of your seat… so they will bump those folks who will cost them the least, if those people are informed enough to recognize their rights.

No they said it was part of the calculation, based on price is not price alone. Miles are also in their calculation too.

I could pay 300 dollars for my ticket plus 60 bucks for leg room and you can pay 400 and no leg room. They’ve not been clear on just how precise that price component is. It’s just part of the calculation but I’ve not seen anyone release the actual calculation.

I’m pretty sure that’s never going to happen.