Fly the not-so-friendly skies

Not sure if you’re joking, but…

Do you take your shoes off at a movie? At a barber shop? At a restaurant?

Do you pull off your flip flops at Walmart? Kick off your kicks in the gym? Slip out of your slippers at the ball game?

Why would it suddenly be ok on a plane? It’s definitely not a living room.

Because I don’t want to smell your god damned feet.

This, taking off your shoes, especially on a longer flight, makes you a grade A asshole.

It’s actually even a worse place to do it than the others I mentioned because you’re in tighter quarters with more people and are literally recycling air.

Air travel is one of the activities that makes it abundantly clear that some people should not be let out of their houses. If you travel a lot you see some crazy shit.

Just one recent, somewhat tame example:

I’m in the Delta lounge, waiting for a flight, and there’s a guy Facetiming with his wife, no headphones, in the middle of the room. The place is busy, and he’s just there on speakerphone yakking away.

Planes are basically a public space. It’s just not a polite thing to do. I have no idea if there is a policy about it, but it’s definitely selfish.

I don’t take my shoes off in someone’s car.

I take off my shoes off at any martial arts dojo (it’s required even when I am just sitting on a bench with other parents, watching my daughter practice). At any Hindu temple. At the pool, even if indoors. At a few restaurants where it’s required. And of course at the beach.

All are public spaces, most in close quarters. The smell is almost never an issue, certainly less a problem than general body odor. I mean, if someone is wearing flip-flops, it’s acceptable right? Well, taking off flip flops isn’t going to change a thing as far as smell is concerned.

I remember when airplanes passed out free slippers along with blankets, so going shoeless on a plane is not exactly a new thing. Putting feet up is obviously rude, on a tray or anywhere else.

Except for the fact that slippers would go on your feet.

And I’m not sure counting outdoors and Eastern places of business is remotely the same as a plane. That’s a cultural thing and out-freaking-doors. A pool also doesn’t count unless you regularly try to get on planes without a shirt wearing just a pair of shorts?

I guess you folks don’t take many long, international flights? If I had to wear my shoes for all 17 hours of a flight to Singapore, I would be very uncomfortable. I do bring a change of socks though.

I was referring to the relative absence of stinkiness, which is not a cultural effect. But you get bonus points for suggesting that “Eastern” customs aren’t appropriate on airplanes.

And airplane slippers are basically socks with grippy soles. There’s no hygenic difference between airplane slippers and clean socks, just as there is very little hygenic difference between wearing flip flops and going barefoot.

Hand out slippers on a plane, what is this, first class? Yeah took an over the ocean flight. I wore shoes the whole time, comfortable shoes, like the kind of shoes you travel in.

The probable cause was stated to be "a loss of airplane pitch control resulting from the in-flight failure of the horizontal stabilizer trim system jackscrew assembly’s acme nut threads.

Say that 10 times fast.

Go up and talk to her.

Oh my god.

Apparently they’re using her name because she has gone public and spoken openly about it.

That’s appalling. At the very minimum that guy should be on leave during the investigation.

I usually fly Alaska or Delta, so hate to see that.

Alaska’s also the reason I went viral 5 years ago, thanks to a photo I took while flying one of their 737s…

I take my shoes off, sorry. It’s nothing compared to the gag inducing overpowering fart gas injected directly into your face on most flights. Since I rarely sleep on flights, and if so I’m last asleep, I have to put up with the waves that come through just as people fall asleep.

Passenger partially blown out of plane window when an engine blew up, breaking the glass.

You’re not sucked out; you’re blown out! It’s explosive decompression for a reason!