Football Tactics - New TB Soccer Game

It’s and EA game on Steam. Turn based Soccer. http://store.steampowered.com/app/375530/

I’m really enjoying it, you get 3 turns and then it’s the other teams go. each player starts off between levels 1-19 and can level to 100. They can also earn special skills and moves as they progress.

Even though it’s in EA it seems to have a lot of stuff in already. Can’t believe it’s not on iOS or Android as it would work just as well on them.

All leagues, teams, players etc can be edited to make them correct or your best ever team.

It seems it will be one of those games you dip in and out of for 30 minutes here and there and you can score some cracking goals as well.

good game !

It seems they are adding multiplayer at some point as well which would be great. Also you can set up your own league and people can play in it if they wish.

It seems to be progressing nicely and the feedback for it is great, as a soccer fan who finds Fifa too much a quick 20 minute session feels just right.

I don’t know how it was back in 2015 but I just picked this up tonight. I’m pretty impressed. It’s kind of like Blood Bowl converted to Soccer and gained some really elegant game play refinements. It’s nice and compact with a very tight decision space. Gotta say, pretty brilliant.

Tom Mc

Thanks for bumping this, I added to my wishlist. But wow … still in EA?

In which way does this resemble Blood Bowl? I’m intrigued by the comparison (I rate Blood Bowl as one of the best tactics games I’ve played), but looking online brought up little discussion of the specific mechanics in this.

Is there any luck management involved?

I just bought it , its really fun! Yes its similar luck management to blood bowl in the way when you are going to try and do a move you see the opposing players characteristics (like will he intercept the ball or save the goal).

I recall* meeting the developer at Casual Connect a few years back. Nice guy and lo and behold, he has made a a very good game!

*hopefully this is the same guy.

The way I see it resembling Blood Bowl, is that in both games I’m using my different player types and their respective abilities to lay out the toughest path of advance for my opponent and exploit the holes in their defense when I have the ball.

Football Tactics just seems way more focused and cuts right down to the meat of checking countering and advancing. The way the transfer market and training work to advance your players on the strategy level also works well. Having trouble making shots? Let’s train up or acquire some players with good accuracy. Goalkeep letting too many through, better check his defense rating.

There’s even a great class advancement tree. An inexperienced footballer will begin with his name on green and will build up points in particular classes depending on his position on the field. At different stages different ability choices are unlocked, clearly and wonderfully explained.

The whole thing seems to work very well over the hours I had with it last night. It does still bear the early access attribute the but it looked to me to be a complete and solid game.

I think I will be voting for this next request Wednesday only half trolling @tomchick with a sports game. The other half is a pretty phenomininal tactics and strategy game.

Tom Mc

Agree it is a very tight design. I love the fact that players special abilities are so important. You really have to pick the right role for the right player.

How’s the goal scoring in this game now? I watched a YouTube video of it a year or so ago and it seemed like it was impossible to get more than 3 goals total (counting goals by both teams) in a match, partially because of the way the match timer worked. I’m not asking for goals to be automatic, but a team sometimes scores more than two goals in a match. On the other hand, how quick the matches play is a selling point in my eyes. 45-minute Blood Bowl games were often a slog for me.

I think you can get more. I scored 3 in a match and the other team certainly had their chances so I think is possible. However I am sure there is an upper limit of goals as you say the number of turns caps it. From memory I would say 4-4 is probably the max but I can check tonight.

I bought it!

I played two leagues so far. Got many 7-0 and some 8-0. One tie and two losses (against a team from a higher league which I just could not beat). Basically because you start with significantly better players than the other teams except for one or two per league. Each turn is 2 minutes, so there are about 22 moves per half and 46 moves per game. You normally can score in 2-3 moves with a better team (if dice go your way, and the computer will play two to three moves normally (sometimes it plays one) so I think the upper number of goals would be 22 (11 per team, theoretical maximum under perfect rolls and worst AI defensive behavior). With high level teams it would be much less, since skills favor the defense, and rolls won’t go only one way, to the point that seeing more than 3 goals would be indeed rare.

Overall I’m liking it, but I don’t think it will have too much staying power with me. Definitely not a substitute for Blood Bowl. I dislike the turn structure. It feels, for lack of a better word, too “mobile” for me. having so few moves makes each goal much less satisfying, since its rare you get to play more than 6 moves on the attack in a row. So plays are short term and lack weight. This is nice, and definitely a thoughtful design, but not for me. It also makes each individual match too meaningless (it’s all about the campaign, which you need to play more than a hundred of similar matches to beat), and I find the campaign incredibly uncompelling (I dislike soccer) and samey by necessity. It has the rhythm of a Footbal Manager (makes sense :) )

The way stats are calculated I think does not do the game any favors. It’s a pure percentile system (with some mods), so a player with twice the stats has about 75% chances over the other player, leading to huge imbalances that are difficult to compensate for because you have so few moves on a row (you can at most use 2 moves to setup a third -unless you use skills). This all means teams with better players steamroll lesser teams and it’s not fun playing on either side. Specifically, defense is too strong if too high over the other team, and because you can’t move that much there’s no real way to maneuver without skill checks being triggered (that you lose if you are the lesser team). And the game has no real catch-up mechanism (think inducements in Blood Bowl). It’s also too granular, giving the same feedback on a 35 vs 30 matchup as between a 25 vs 75 matchup (with has chances of 84% towards the 75 player).

As others have said, I really like how important the special abilities of the players are. The whole system is strangely divided in two parts. Players have a special ability and hidden stats given by their position on the field (increases with XP to an specialization), and players also have regular stats that increase through XP (but a different kind of XP, think FFT and the difference between XP and Job Points). That means the ability to customize your players is very limited and slow (you can’t mix and match that much, at least yet). But that’s ok. It’s a good system that makes special abilities important, and the abilities match the theme and feel powerful. Problem is the interface is “no good” and as far as I know the only special ability you can see (but not check what it does) in the match interface is the non-positional one. For the positional abilities it seems you have to remember them? The visual aspect of the game (theme + feedback) is the least appealing part of the game, I think.

Anyway, it’s a tactics-lite game that has a lot of good decisions thrown in, but it really favors the campaign management (soccer team management) over the tactical aspect, which as well designed as it is (much more than the campaign) is used in a throwaway manner (it even allows you to skip matches and just keep the computer calculated results, which says a lot). And it really stick to the theme of soccer, to an extent that I find it detrimental (but other might really, really enjoy).

Gah, how did I get sucked into a sports thread? Thanks, Obama!

-Tom

Arise, thread!

So this just apparently had a massive update:

So I decided to try the demo. I don’t even like sports, yet WOW is this game a fun tactical game with an amazing meta layer. Bought it outright, even it not being at its lowest price. So good.

heh, yeah I played it again tonight, massive improvements. Workshop supported as well so you can add all the correct names and leagues if you want

I played it about 40 hours I’d guess in early release and really liked it. Highly recommended.

Having said that there was a steep drop off for me. I went from “OMG this will be the only game I ever play for the rest of my life” to “done with this” in about 15 minutes.

I am curious to start a new game though, as so much has been added since early release.

There is s demo for this and it was suggested for me. I just saw it is on sale for 75% off too.

I love sports management sims, but I just don’t have the bandwidth to do something OOTP level. Also, football is something I know about, but I can’t get into it enough to appreciate all of what goes on in the middle of the field, though I’ll watch with friends if they are into a match.

There is a more stripped down TBS soccer game that came out in iOS that’s part of a series with several different sports. Can’t remember the name, but I played a ton of it. New Star Soccer? Maybe?

Like Super Mega Baseball 3, this seems to be trimmed down to a manageable size with all the funbits put in. Plus, turn based tactics game remain one of my favorite genres.

Has anyone gone back to this? I’ll play around with the demo a bit more, but I think I’ll end up really liking it. Add a link so you’ll have it right here!

Ahh, new “manager’s” DLC recently released to Mixed reviews. That’s why it popped up and is on sale now. Looks like the majority of the major complaints are loading times in between matches due to how much more is being simulated now. The developer explains that and suggests removing countries, so not as many games are simulated. They said plenty of people play without some countries, but they wanted to include as many options as possible. Seems reasonable.

EDIT: Also, the previous DLC “Football Stars” is on sale for 50% off and has very positive reviews like the original as it adds a bunch o’ stuff. I think I am just here to sell it to myself.

Interesting…I’ve seen this game and ignored it because I didn’t realize what it was. I don’t follow soccer at all, but XCOM soccer? I might be able to get into that.

It’s a really good game and they just added the Manager’s Journey DLC so you can get your Football Manager methadone here.

You’ll play a few games and feel “I see why people bring it up, but this isn’t really like XCom at all.” And then the AI will score a goal on a shot that had a 1% chance of success and you’ll be like “this is bullshit!”

So… XCom.

Yeah. for some people Turn-based movement = XCom, but who can blame them. It’s an easy, popular reference. The videos reveal what it actually is, of course.

Yeah, it’s all dice rolls based on various skill scores for several statistics. They don’t give you a percentage chance of success, but I’m assuming if you wanted to you could figure it out for each attempted action.

I’ve definitely convinced myself to buy the whole bundle while it is on sale through the 18th. Qt3 is great for that. :)

Just try the demo.