"For the King"

I assumed it was a reference to this:

New Adventure! Into The Deep:

That’s an impressive, free update! Love this game!

Yeah its amazing how well the game turned out and what they were able to accomplish with the money they raised in the kickstarter.

It’s a fantastic game, and the post-release support has been frankly incredible. They’ve released at least two or three paid DLC’s worth of stuff for free.

For @Piemax2:

Choose one of six adventures to play:

Choose to play with 1-3 heroes, and select the class and appearance of each:

Gameplay consists of each hero moving individually on the strategic map in the order shown at the top:

For example, Mysterio rolled 4 movement points (4 banner), so he can move four hexes on his turn. Each hex contains either impassable terrain, a visible feature (like towns (Oarton and Woodsmoke)), an enemy, a hidden encounter, or nothing. See the hexes with the question marks? Those are unexplored hexes, so you have no idea what they contain, if anything.

Since each hero moves individually and you have no idea what those unexplored hexes contain, you have to move them strategically. For example, when a hero moves onto an enemy hex, only those heroes (and other enemies!) within 2 hexes will join the turn-based combat (those heroes with ranged weapons, though, can be up to three hexes away). So you have to decide when and where to position your heroes each turn. Do you keep them clustered together for protection, or do you send one off on his own to claim a sweet reward, thereby making him vulnerable to an ambush?

During play, you’ll earn Lore points which are used to unlock additional content (cosmetic and game content) that will be added to the pool of content for the next game you play:

There’s more to the game than that, so feel free to ask away!

oops my forum search failed badly, sorry!

LOL you even created the thread!

You might want to edit out the puzzling " you put in there, that might be why it’s not easy to search for. Why did you put the title in quotes, anyway? Just curious.

I adore this game, it’s one of my favorites of the past few years. It’s just such a tight, satisfying little design. Good progression, good variety, every combat is a series of important choices, the whole thing is just hugely satisfying. The developers supported the hell out of it, too, releasing 3 or 4 paid DLC’s worth of content for free. I’d love it if they’d make an expansion pack or a sequel, it’s the kind of thing I’d preorder without blinking.

I wish I could get over the boneheaded “no way to move characters as a party” design.

I know it made it easier to develop the game for multiplayer, but nobody plays this multiplayer.

Le sigh.

Why on Earth would you want to? The ability to split up the party is pretty damn vital to success in this game. The overland map would be pretty pointless if the whole party was one pip.

Is there ever a benefit to splitting up? Other than “I’ll explore the map faster this way and reduce tedium.” Honest question, maybe there is.

I agree. I bought the game on both PC and Switch as it is quite the treasure. More so that I can play it anywhere. =)

Without the quotes none of the top returned links were about this game.

They still aren’t - and now the title looks strange. :)

Maybe the solution is to embiggen the title, like For the King - Co-Op perfection! or something?

Picking up quests, picking up items, tagging multiple locations, exploring, etc. The whole game is a race against the clock, only being able to visit one tile per round would be automatic death. There’s an underlying risk/reward structure in terms of how much to split up, but not splitting up at all would be a disaster.

Interesting… so the whole game is a TIMED MISSION???

I don’t unilaterally object to such things, but I wonder how everyone who rankled at Xcom 2 would feel about that.

Not timed in the sense of a fixed deadline, but the chaos increases every X rounds, the ultra powerful monsters that affect the world unlock every X rounds, so standing still is absolutely not an option. I hated XCOM 2’s hard turn limits, I love For the King’s “soft” motivation to keep moving.

IIRC, by default, Discourse search is Google-esque in that it ignores search terms under a certain number of characters, because trying to hunt for them causes Spiraling Badness in the Programming SQL Data Apps. So when searching for For the King, Discourse quietly just hunts for King, and that covers a lot of ground in a forum that includes both videogames and politics. Woo.

What happens if you Google “For the King?”

Is the Switch version good? I read some vaguely “performance bad” comments which are hard to parse.