Former Japan Prime Minister Abe Shot

That’s exactly, literally what they did. They were reporting – and citing – NHK’s initial reports.

Their reporter was not on the scene. Their reporter was immediately talking to witnesses who were at the scene, however, and the Times had some of the very first self-generated (as in, not cited from NHK or other outlets) eyewitness accounts. As did the Washington Post Tokyo/Seoul bureau reporter.

It happens.

Take it to a new: “C’mon, the NY Times isn’t so bad, guys” thread.

As someone who was informed of the shooting by the NY Times tweet and clicked through on it immediately to their excellent live updates on their own website… it’s a bit bizarre to hear about how bad they were at covering this.

Maybe in a world where you can only access twitter, then yes - the NY Times may not be the best resource for following breaking news. Their twitter feed does lag significantly behind the live reporting on their website.

It does remind me a bit of the time a cop drove drunk and killed someone behind the wheel and the headline was something like, “Off-duty Police Officer’s Vehicle Strikes Pedestrian”. Can’t recall if it was the NYT; can’t find it. That was much more egregious, though.

Or maybe you could take it to a F*ck the NY Times thread.

I’m bustin’ through the wall like the Kool-Aid man if someone makes that thread. Although the Mainstream Media thread makes a pretty good surrogate in the meantime.

Passive voice only. “Critics believe NY Times was f*cked by their own reporting”.

I actually don’t think the NYT is generally that bad - insofar as they try obsessively to avoid “valuation-ing” with their language, to the point of distraction. Speaking for only myself, I just find it hard to pass up a low hanging joke.

Clear video of shooting

So he missed with the first shot?

Sure seems like it, unless Abe was unusually stoic.

I would point out that from that photo the second shot seems to be from fairly long range for such a short-barreled shotgun. We don’t see the movement of the shooter but if he was further away for the first shot, I could see that being a clear miss. The downside to such a compact weapon is that its range is going to be shit. Also, we don’t know what kind of shell he was using, which can affect range and accuracy greatly.

Bottom line, the first shot does appear to be a miss.

As janky as that homemade pipegun looks, here’s an even scarier jankier one they found in the assassin’s home:

That looks like some Fallout 4 stuff.

According to an NPR report, only 9 gun deaths occurred in Japan in 2018 vs. 39,740 in the US. Japan had about 0.25 guns per 100 people vs 120 per 100 in the US

Is there any theory on a motive yet?

I think i read that the suspect told the police that he was upset about something Abe did. I don’t think they have Miranda rights like they do in the states. You do not want to get arrested in Japan because they will fuck you up. Think of a slightly kinder version of militarist state pre and during WWII.

Shooter appears in some photos standing behind Abe as he speaks.

What is both strange and stupid is how his security are all facing forward when Abe appears to be standing right in the middle of the street. In that situation, you would ideally want police or private security behind you looking in the opposite direction.

Yeah, that seems logical. I suspect that his security detail thought of themselves as mostly pro forma, given the extreme rarity of gun violence in Japan, or really any sort of attacks on public officials I guess. Rude awakening time I suppose, tragically.