Forspoken - Fantasy Control

Uh. So it looks as uneven as when they showed it 5 months ago.

It certainly doesn’t show off well. Maybe it’s really fun to play? I don’t know.

A random example that popped into my head that someone brought up recently. I forgot the name, but there was a game where a lady gets on a dragon and flies around. And then she gets off the dragon and has some adventures on foot too. It got okay reviews, it was in the days of the early 3D shooters. But man, I just loved that game. I just remember having a blast with it.

Drakan. It was pretty awesome :)

Yes! That’s the one. I just looked it up, it got a sequel for PS2. That rings a distant bell too. I believe I rented that and didn’t enjoy it. But yeah, I loved the original Drakan.

hur, Hhn, huh, Hhhhn, hnggg, nggghh - I HATE those kind of sound effects that comes with every single thing a female does in these kind of games. Its rarely there when its male protagonists, and I think its some weird asian kink where people love to hear woman voicing something close to a moan.

Uh… Exhibit A your honor.

Gameplay Trailer

Looks fun! I’ve always thought fantasy was kind of underrepresented in the open-world action genre.

Scan belfries to reveal new points of interest!

Man, those graphics are weak, particularly indoors. Primitive lighting and shadowing. World design is attractive though, outdoors at least.

Loved the exploration, parkouring floating rocks into the sky, custom voice lines on the approach, then purifying a shrine to get… +5 health. Open-worlds, this is certainly one of those.

The traversal looks great and a lot of fun - makes me think of terrestrial Spiderman - although there were a number of brightly colored “USE ME TO PARKOUR” landmarks that were a little jarring with the realistic leaning world they are building. Didn’t mind the overall graphics. Spell effects looks great if messy. A little afraid that they will confuse the battles in an array of particle physics. The NPC conversations and camera work were terrible though - they really should have edited that better. The blacksmith lady had little facial expression and poor lip synching (to me). I like what they are doing with the focus on a (reasonably dressed) diverse female cast though.

It looks a lot like an Xbox360 game running at higher resolution. Very poor graphics.

Doesn’t mean the game won’t be amazing, but technically it’s waaaay behind.

Fresh IP’s always nice. I’d rather see something new than another sequel. Probably in, but probably not at 70 dollares.

It sounds like you don’t remember what 360 games looked like very well.

Finally watched that video. I have a really tough time telling if I would enjoy that gameplay. Everything shown in the video could go either way. Will I be going through the motions doing that stuff, kind of bored and doing it just to get to the next story point? Or will I be hooting and hollering on the inside as I traverse the landscape using those techniques?

Is it just me? Or does anyone else have trouble telling from a video like that, which way it will go?

That increased my interest level from zero to negligible! Maybe people will make cool combo videos out of it. I’d watch them.

Those poor elk!

This new trailer actually looks like a modern game. And so much color, after the drab browns of the earlier trailers.

And watching it, you know what I was reminded of? Kind of an open-world Phantom Dust, that old OG Xbox game (remastered for the Xbone). No, not the card arsenal-building, but the variety of powers at your disposal, the effects, and the crazy combos you could pull off. Is this on PC, too? Maybe it’ll be playable on the Deck.