Fortnite - A New Game by Epic

Aaaand, second purchase refunded as well. Achievement unlocked!

Hooray for EU law (and boo to Brexit).

How long had you played on the second you got refunded and what was your argument, maybe I should give it a second attempt as well.

We played a couple of hours on each account. This is the text I sent them:

EU law does not recognize this differentiation that you make between a product and ‘founders packs’ or any other term. I have paid for a game which does not work properly and requesting a refund as is my right under law. Please refer to this link:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

\ 160x160 Guarantees, cancelling and returning your purchases - Your …

Under EU rules, a trader must repair, replace, reduce the price or give you a refund if goods you bought turn out to be faulty or do not look or work as advertised. If you bought a good or a service online or outside of a shop (by telephone, mail order, from a door-to-door salesperson), you also …

Under EU rules, a trader must repair, replace, reduce the price or give you a refund if goods you bought turn out to be faulty or do not look or work as advertised.

The game is not working properly. I experienced many issues such as loading delays (10 minutes or more), crashes and UI issue. In light of all of this I cannot understand how Epic can justify not refunding my purchase. If this is not resolved I will have no option but to file a complaint with the European commission consumer centre.

I am happy for you. But the problem was probably on your ISP routers more than Epic end.

Anyway happy there’s a happy ending :D

note:

You are still doing business with the source cause of your problems, your ISP.

Maybe. I regularly play Warframe and other MP games without any issues. Maybe my ISP is an Epic hater?
And anyway, regardless of performance and bugs, I think its a crap game so I have no regrets.

Network problems are complicated, and I am not a expert. What I know the more weird shit you do to trafic, the more you ask for problems. And some ISP’s do shit to slow some traffic, to make other trafic faster. The code that do this network discrimination can be faulty and drop packets from the “wrong” data thinking is slowing down Netflix, when in reality is corrupting the connexion between you and your game host. Or some routing problem between some datacenter and your isp, that you don’t have with a different game that uses a different datacenter (or with games like warframe that use P2P networking).

You did the right thing and I am happy it worked for you. I was just playing devil advocate :D

Cheers, I’ll try that route as they changed the “compatibility” of the game to a large degree from when I purchased it until it stopped working.

Best of luck to you.

Train still barreling down the track…

So all of you that have (rightfully) complained about the multitude of confusing systems in Fortnite’s PVE mode, they just released an update that’s overhauled a lot of things including the complete removal of the skill tree. Details are here.

Example: the whole redundant Research tree that just had stat boosts and everything scattered all over the place and across multiple pages? It now looks like this:

The skill tree is now thus:

It accomplishes the same thing, but 10% as cluttered, convoluted, and confusing. Stat boosts that were previoulsy granted in the skill tree are now rewards for leveling up.

That’s cool. It seemed like the old version of Save The World was designed and intended to provide a ton of complex progression runways as a way to obfuscate the free-to-play monetization model. At a gut level it seems like they decided to prioritize discoverability and readability over monetization for the better.

From those images it kinda looks “boring” compared to the old system - but hard to say without trying it.

Think I only made it to the third or fourth progress page in the old system though, before EAC killed the compatibility of the game.

It’s not, it has all the same things, just without the cruft. There’s advantages too, since the old tree was so restricted. You had to get to X zone before you could access a page, and then before you could go past the halfway mark in any skill “branch”, you had to fill out the whole first half of the page for all other branches. There was no choice it customization provided at all, just the illusion of it. Now you’re only gated by level.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-27/fortnite-addiction-prompts-parents-to-turn-to-video-game-rehab

I’m imagining video game rehab as this facility where they strap people down and force them to play 12 hour sessions of Daikatana every day until it cures them of any desire to look at a video game again.

but it has great engine! /s

Incredibly smart how they’re taking a piece of the Fortnite map and populating it with the best stuff from Creative mode.

Heard some guys talking about that on Discord last night. Bet people are happy they’ve given him so much $.

Tibees wins pacifist Fortnight!