Fortnite - A New Game by Epic

Yeah, like ducker said it’s pretty easy to just play along with someone.

Oh, I realise that. It just would be nice to be able to have a fun challenging experience with him as well as with other groups without having to buy the game twice.

Use a low level common Hero? with a low level common weapon?
That should make it harder.

That might work. Thanks for the suggestion.

Does anyone still have a spare Fortnite key they are selling from the larger editions?

I likely do, but won’t be able to check until sometime tomorrow.

I have a PR version, but it’s of the 40 dollar one. Does that come with keys? How do I check?

IIUC, the 40 does not. The 100 has 1 and the 150 has 2.

So, are there beta keys for this too? Or the only way to try it is to buy in?

That sucks

When I was in the alpha it came with two keys, but they just basically gave me a 40 dollar key for the EA part. Tom Ohle’s group (Evolve) is handling this one, with Brian Rowe being the contact point.

Oh, this isn’t publicly available now? I went to the web site and thought anyone could buy a copy.

I do have a question / concern about the game after watching some let’s plays:
The game seems to be heavily monetized. Is this a game, that after a few levels you will just have to grind a rediculous amount to make any progress?

IE: you start off with a bunch of newbie guns, but if you really want the nice one you will need 1000s of space bucks, which can easily be purchased or very slowly doled out via grind many, many missions.

It is publicly available

I believe that’s the be the case. It’s no longer in a beta state - this is the release. With them putting the “early access” label on it - it makes it a little confusing I think. This game looks to have been designed to be a F2P game. which is how they will release it in 2018 - when in 2018 I haven’t seen anything dates out there yet.

I’m curious if the idea of being F2P was always there. In addition the notion of having a purchasable version prior to that F2P release.

It’s kinda interesting when comparing it against something like Battleborn, which went retail box, and then discount after discount finally then going free to TRY (eyeroll)
It seems like a smart move.

That is accurate. However…

Upthread several people that purchased one of the deluxe editions received extra keys that they were offering for sale here. I was just checking in if any were still available before I purchased the retail direct from Epic.

Check your Loot page. Apparently, Epic has started handing out Believer Gifts in-game for early access people.

Those seem to give 15 llamas. Nice.

EDIT: The gifts are indeed available. Select this Llama in your Loot page:

And you get 15 Llamas to whack (2 turned golden for me. Can’t complain). I didn’t realise (having only played a little while) that some items from Llamas actually give you a choice of what to get. Neat.

It’s a pretty common trend for this sort of game. Dungeon Defenders 2 did exactly the same thing, as have several others.

Has anyone played this game for a while? Can you speak to the leveling up / grind aspect of the game?

I have, yep. It is only a grindy game if you’re just trying to get to “the end”, whatever that means. It’s a great game to hop into for an hour or two, have some fun, and make some progress. If you’re a completionist type that wants to finish a game so you can check it off a list, it might feel pretty grindy.

I just look at it as a fun action/building/exploring game with long-term progression built into it. Log in, get your daily rewards, run a few missions, maybe see what the llama store has for sale. Do it all again tomorrow. And ooo, maybe you just got a new Legendary hero of a type you haven’t played yet! TIme to level him/her up!

Was just about to post this. Definitely worth checking that loot page. I got one golden, two silver. lamas from my believer gift. About 105 cards when it was all said and done, in addition to enough founder’s coins to buy another lama that way.

A couple new heroes, which is always nice: Stonefoot Crash the ninja and Trailblazer Quiin the outlander.

I was wondering what that new Llama was… I just played my quick “I’m on break at lunch game” and was like… hey that’s a new Llama!

Is there anything that really explains the game mechanics? I have only see this on let’s play videos. Like, what is the point of rescuing people? Also with heroes, in one video some guy had gotten several hero rewards, but he was still solo with no team playing the same toon.