Fortnite - A New Game by Epic

All they have to do is free our stuff. It’s total BS. I think most players really don’t care if they want to keep the dirty heathens of Nintendo and Microsoft off the same island as PS4 players, but keep all the cosmetic stuff we earned locked up is fucking overkill.

I don’t want cross-play, I just want cross-costumes and cross-dances fer chrissake!

1.5 million twitch viewers!

http://www.githyp.com/fortnite-becomes-twitchs-highest-watched-game-ever-with-a-peak-of-1-5-million-concurrent-viewers/

Yeah the optics here are just not good. Even if it’s truly just a tiny slice of their users being impacted, this is the kind of thing (especially with all the breathless reporting) that sticks in people’s minds, and their non statement about it is even worse. It’s not quite TV/Sports/Kinect/No-used-games bad, but don’t piss off multiplayer gamers. They stick together (even while screaming obscenities at each other online), and if you want your platform to be their default choice, keep them happy.

I guess. I feel like about half the people who remember this are going to blame Epic, because they’ll just remember “Playstation something Fortnite something account crossplay”.

Most gamers have no idea who/what Epic is. They know Fortnite and they know PlayStation. That’s more or less it.

Yeah. Epic is avoiding the blame here because Sony specifically has done this sort of shit the entire generation and this game has brought the anger to critical mass.

Giant Bomb asked Phil Spencer about it. Timestamped to the start:

The biggest takeaway I have from this is not to play multiplatform games on my PS4 if I can avoid it. Not worth the risk of them locking my account out of cross-functionality.

But, it is hard to put 100% of the blame on Sony here when we don’t know the details 100%. Neither side is talking. Sony isn’t the one locking the accounts. Epic is, they are Epic accounts. It would seem that a simple work-around would be that Epic allow people to unlink their PS4 (and lose all progress from there) and make that a separate account. Sony doesn’t handle the accounts, Epic does, but likely Sony is dictating some draconian terms in which the accounts need to be set up. To me, it seems that Epic is taking a stand here and not fixing anything, because people know that Sony is behind this, and that with one memo from Sony and things would be freed up in minutes.

I don’t blame them for not wanting to change their game to accomodate Sony, but I would have to assume that the PS4 playerbase for Fortnite is VERY large, and Sony has leverage with that.

This is a really fucked up situation, and I have a feeling there is a lot more posturing and pressure behind the scenes we are not seeing from both sides.

I’d be more inclined to be generous with Sony here if they hadn’t already racked up a good record of being shitty with regards to crossplay.

Totally, Sony gets no benefit of the doubt, and I am sure we will learn about all of this later.

Seems like a more recent update to fortnite made the EAC bypass no longer working for the non-BR part of the game (i.e the one I paid for that didn’t EAC (or even BattleEye I think…) upon purchase) so time to see how quick their customer service works or find a BattleEye bypass as well…

Earlier when doing random missions you’d ocasionally join another players base defence one… but I could never seem to get anyone joining to help out in mine.

Maybe I should continue playing it on Switch… or… guess not, since I played it on PS4.

Can someone help me with xbox to pc cross play?
I have the account. I have the friend. in my xbox game lobby on the right it says same platform. I know that needs to be changed but I don’t have an option in the game settings to do that. What am I missing?

you have to enter epic website and link your epic account with your xbox account, probably

I did already did that. my account is linked to my xbox.

then the xbox player need to invite the pc player

they need to be friends (by adding them has friends in the epic overlay in the game)

------ I think.
Corporate politics make everything supercomplicate and fragile for no reason

Make sure you are Epic friends with the PC player and you should be able to invite each other to a game.

I see him on the my epic friends list and vs versa. The issue is when I am on the xbox screen in fortnite I see it is only allowing same system play. I don’t see an option in game to select allow cross platform

From the Polygon article on how it works…

To play with others on mobile (iOS), Mac and PC while you’re on Xbox One:

Link your Epic Games account with your Xbox Live account. (You can do that at the official Fortnite site.)
Add the people you want to play with as an Epic Games friend from the Epic Games Launcher on Mac, PC or from within the game on mobile or through the main menu of the game on Xbox One. (Hit the Menu button on your Xbox One controller and navigate to Epic Friends in the menu that loads.)
Set your Fortnite privacy settings to Public or Friends.
Select Duos or Squad mode.
Your buddy on another platform can now join your party.
If you’re on mobile, Mac or PC and you want to play with a friend on Xbox One:

Link your Epic Games account with your Xbox Live account. (You can do that at the official Fortnite site.)
Add your friend as an Epic Games friend from the Epic Games Launcher on Mac, PC, mobile or through the main menu of the game on Xbox One. (Go to the menu in the upper right of the screen and navigate to Epic Friends in the menu that loads.)
Have the Xbox One player set their Fortnite privacy settings to Public or Friends.
Join your friend’s lobby.
Fortnite on Xbox One has a unique crossplay notification that appears when you load Save the World for the first time and when a friend on mobile or PC joins your party. If you don’t want to see that notification anymore, you can disable it in Settings > Game menu.

Thanks Dave.
I actually tried all this but no luck and I see I’m not the only one according to forums. The problem is there is no epic friends on my xbox. There’s no setting or choice for that. I just deleted the game and am reinstalling. Some people said that if you don’t have your account linked before you install it doesn’t work so I’m trying that.

once you have your xbox and epic account linked, friends on the epic side of things should be visible on the epic overlay on xbox