Forza Motorsport (2023) - Raytracing, time-of-day, and a firehose of cars

From the video, the campaign looks pretty similar to GT7’s cafe menus, which I really enjoyed. Promising. Also interesting that they claim to have no rubber banding.

PC specs.

I always play in first person, so I’m not that familiar with the 3rd person camera in Forza games. I have to admit, that was pretty nice to watch in 3rd person. I don’t think I could play it that way, but it does seem better for the spectator watching.

I confused this and Forza Horizon. To my uneducated eye this is FH minus the settings that make it pretty.

Racing tracks definitely don’t make for as great a scenery as Colorado, the Riviera, Australia, North England/Scotland, and Mexico.

I just hope they somehow find a happy medium in satisfying folks who want to drive a firehose of Supercars, and folks who want each car to be precious as they get to know it, improve it, and learn to drive it on every track.

Track list is out. I’m not super excited by them, but I’ve played Forza 6 & 7 for 100+ hours. I’ll probably do the same here.

Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya
Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
Eaglerock Speedway
Grand Oak Raceway
Hakone Circuit
Homestead-Miami Speedway
Indianapolis Motor Speedway
Kyalami Grand Prix Circuit
Laguna Seca Raceway
Le Mans - Circuit International de la Sarthe
Lime Rock Park
Maple Valley
Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
Mugello Circuit
Nürburgring GP
Road America
Silverstone Circuit
Suzuka Circuit
Virginia International Raceway
Watkins Glen International Speedway

I bolded the ones that might be new to the series. Surprisingly no Sebring.

Does this mean there is going to by some Qt3 lap time chasing soon?

I’ll probably play the campaign first, but I’m not opposed to setting some times in a chosen track. I just don’t want to get obsessed with it like I did in Forza 4. Do you know I never played the campaign in that game? All I did was play hours and hours of “Star in a reasonably priced car” on the Top Gear track.

Edit: Oh hey, no Bathurst and no Top Gear test track?

Looks like Destin got to play with a preview build and has a lot of video and thoughts.

DF video, though not a full analysis

Based on the specs, not clear why you’d ever run performance over performance RT on Xbox X, unless it can’t actually hold 60fps.

It’s funny, I got Forza Motorsport 4 a week or so ago – since so many told me it’s the best one – and it looks almost as good as these videos.

Be sure to do Star in a reasonably priced car if you’re a Top Gear fan.

I’m not, what is it, exactly?

It’s a fun show about Cars, airing on the BBC for many, many years. One of their segments was to bring in a celebrity for an interview, and then put them in a reasonably priced car (which changed over the seasons) around their test track. So no matter what else each episode had, it always had one segment where a celebrity drives this car around their test track. So getting to do it yourself in Forza 4 is quite the treat. Driving it yourself is quite different from the camera angles you see on TV.

Here’s one with Rowan Atkinson:

Here’s one with Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz:

Oh, apologies, I know of Top Gear, I should’ve been specific, not sure what Star is a reference to.

Just the bit on Top Gear, “Star in a Reasonably Priced Car”.

They also have that track in sims that allow mods, like rf2 and AC. Its cool to drive it, whether in a a shitbox or supercar.

Got it, thank you.

Oh man, I need to make room.

Oof. My series S isn’t going to keep this game installed all the time then.

They put out a blog post thingy about upcoming updates:
Enjoy New Content Every Month with Forza Motorsport’s Evolving Racing Platform

• Yas Marina november. Something else in december. Nord in spring.

• Monthly tours with weekly limited-time themed race series. Complete them all for a showcase event with a free car. Unlike Forza Horizons you can still complete them for a couple weeks after the tour is over.

• Doesn’t matter if you win, what level you are, or what cars you use. Complete opposite of Horizon’s live content which required you to win events on expert with specially tuned cars & buy randos for chores all the time.