Forza Motorsport 7 - Collecting cars and crates

Do we not have a topic for Forza 7?

Let’s start with this:

Difficulty modifiers, such as turn or braking assist reducers that increase the credits you earn in races, are now only available in loot crates.

Let me be clear: As of press time, Forza Motorsport 7 does not let you pay real money for its CR coins or for its loot boxes. But that will almost certainly change. Turn 10 confirmed its plans in a statement to Ars Technica: “Once we confirm that the game economy is balanced and fun for our players out in the wild, we plan to offer Tokens [a real-money currency that works like CR] as a matter of player choice. Some players appreciate using Tokens as a way of gaining immediate access to content that may take many hours to acquire in the normal course of play. There will also be an option within the in-game menu to turn off Tokens entirely.” That being said, the following criticisms apply to Forza 7’s loot boxes even without them being attached to a real-world economy.

Apply a “night race” mod to your car before a race, for example, and you’ll turn your next race from day to night—and earn 30 percent more CR on that race. An “instability” mod turns off one of the game’s “driver assist” perks in exchange for a 30-percent CR boost. Some mods don’t count unless you complete an objective, like pulling off two “perfect turns” in a race. Other mods simply grant a flat CR reward boost in your next race without additional requirements.

Changing the difficulty or terms of a single race in exchange for a higher CR payout will sound familiar to Forza fans, because this used to simply be a standard thing you could do whenever you wanted. Players could manually add or remove certain assists—like “driving line” marks of where you should accelerate and brake—and get more CR per race for having fewer assists. That’s no longer the case. You can still adjust the assists as you see fit, but you won’t be rewarded for doing so… unless you have the right mod in your inventory.

Forza fans are losing their minds on the official forums.

After a couple hours of arguing with the Windows Store I managed to download the demo. It was a dumpster fire. A dumpster fire behind a closed White Castle.

The racing was uninspiring, the force feedback spotty at best and the AI was atrocious. Arguing with the Windows Store installer that I actually do have an F: drive and that 22gb actually is less than 485gb may have been the best part of the whole experience.

I liked it enough to pre order the Basic version for Pc/Xbox 1. Demo downloaded fine as did the pre load. Really nice to have a game like this on the PC.

It seems only my kids play on the Xbox1 now days and I got the Xbox 1 for FH and FMS and both are on PC.

That’s an odd choice, to put the incentives for bumping up race difficulty behind a paywall. I don’t know that I would call the Forza community hardcore, but I imagine a lot of folks adjust the difficulty quite a bit, probably just for fun, but getting extra credit is definitely a big part of that. Seems like a case of just tinkering for no real reason.

Probably a silly question, but if I buy this on Xbone, then ditch the Xbone and play it on XboneX, will the save carry over? I know it’s cross play with PC, but is it definitely cross play within Xbox?

Yeah, all saves are cloud based this gen, it will carry over.

From Eurogamer’s very positive review:

(Emphasis mine). Damn it. I guess Forza 5 is the one and only time in the series where we’re actually going to get a true progression, where you have to race in the slower cars and build your way up, instead of being handed upteen million cars and credits almost from the start. Fuck Forza fans. I hate you all.

I’m not totally sure I follow you here, but then I didn’t play Forza 5 or 6. Is the problem that you prefer there to be a career progression from less powerful to more powerful cars? And instead they just sort of give you all the cars and say “here, go nuts”?

Forza 5’s progression wasn’t good. IIRC it was 8 hours of racing / rivals to buy any million cr car, and multiplayer basically gave you nothing unless you won. That’s not so bad the first time, but there’s a lot of million dollar cars in Forza…

Forza 6 was silly. Wheel spins were way too rewarding, and mods made endurance racing much more profitable. I bought everything I wanted in a week of heavy playing, and still had millions to blow on card packs.

edit, looked up my stats:
5 - 35h played, 1,224 miles, 2.98m earned.
6 - 58h played, slightly over 2,000 miles, 35.9m earned.

Fuck forza 5s MMO like BS grind. It’s why I jumped to Project Cars after the cluster fuck that was Forza 5 at launch. Let me drive what the fuck I want, when I want, how I want.

Today I learned that Forza fans are a profane bunch.

I’m sorry for swearing at you earlier. I should be happy I got my CaRPG progression in two Forza games: Forza 1 and Forza 5.

But hey, you should be happy, right? You got Forza 6 and 7 (not to mention 2,3,4), which pretty much let you drive what you want, when you want, how you want?

Yeah, in Forza 2,3,4 (and from what I hear, 6 and 7), they give out cars left and right, and they give out credits for winning races and tournaments left and right. So maybe after playing an hour or two, you can buy whatever car in the game you want, or probably have it gifted to you for winning a tournament. I prefer Forza 1 and 5, where you buy a Sprinter Torino or whatever it’s called, and soup it up, and race a few tournaments with it, to earn enough money to buy a Honda Civic, which I race enough to buy and soup up a Corvette, which I race enough to buy and soup up an Audi TT Something, which I race enough to buy a Toyota Supra, which I race enough to buy a Lamborghini, which I race enough to buy a cheaper Ferrari, which I race enough to buy a McLaren P1, which I race enough to buy a top of the line Ferrari.

The details of the cars were different, but that’s pretty much what I did in Forza 5, and it was glorious. Each car I bought was really special to me, it took nearly all my money to buy at the time, I cared about the paint job I selected, the tournaments I took part in, the money I got from those tournaments, the races I narrowly won at just the right challenging difficulty. It all just came together perfectly. I haven’t felt that kind of CaRPG progression since Forza 1, and before that Gran Turismo 4.

That’s interesting. Seems like the game ought to be able to accommodate what you’re looking for as well as what some like Jason wants, just have a campaign mode for progression and then an open world kind of thing where everything is unlocked.

My understanding is that’s basically what 7 does, though I don’t know how the credits pan out in practice. The cars are gated by rank, so you can’t just soup up a Ford Focus and use it in the top tier of races against supercars. But (if the car cost isn’t ridiculous), once you’ve progressed through the ranks, you can buy whatever you like.

That’s pretty cool Rock8man. I was more into the multiplayer. It almost sounds like we were playing different games.

What’s the consensus? Is this worth getting despite the loot box drama?

I tried the gran tourismo demo and was unimpressed, so wondering if this will fit the bill.

Thanks, Diego

I enjoyed 6 on the xbox and am enjoying 7, not felt a need to buy a crate, am getting plenty of nice cars and credits are not an issue either. Plays really nice on the Pc/Xbox

I thought it’s not even possible to buy any loot crates in Forza 7 right now anyway.

Yeah you can buy the crates with in game credits just not tokens which you normally buy with real money