Forza Motorsport 7 - Collecting cars and crates

Big thanks to Gigglemoo for alerting me to Forza 7 being free since yesterday. I managed to download it and play a lot yesterday.

First impressions: I really like it! I love how they immediately get you into a car and slowly tell you the controls. I had no idea how to steer the car in 3rd person mode, so the game took pity on me and finally told me how to change the camera to inside the car. I was still having a tough time catching up to the other cars, so they took pity on me again and told me how to change the assists. Once that happened, I made up for lost time on the Dubai track, and came in first. Amazing how much easier the game is with the assists off.

Then instead of taking me to a menu, I got put into another race. And then another. In the third race they took pity on me again and told me how to turn up the difficulty. And then it gave me three choices: Forza Cup, Multiplayer or the main menu. This had been going so well so far, so for the first time in any game, I chose to keep going instead of heading to the main menu. And with each successive race, I just kept hitting continue. It was like flying without a net. Eventually I got too nervous, as I’ve never played a game for this long before at least seeing a main menu, and was starting to panic a little internally. So after the current tournament was over, I went looking for the menu.

Phew, there it was. The main menu actually had a lot of stuff to give away, including lots of loot boxes.

The game is in the process of phasing out loot boxes, so they contained only cosmetic items and mods.

I wonder how they’ll handle mods once the loot boxes are gone completely?

Anyway, going so long without a main menu wasn’t the only thing making me a little queasy. It was also the fact that I never played Forza 6. I don’t think I’ve ever skipped a game in a series completely before. It felt weird. Poor Forza 6.

So this is being removed from the Microsoft store, so it’s super cheap right now.

So of course I bought it. Now as with all racing games like this, I turned on all the assists, because while I love racing games, I am terrible at them.

So as I’m racing, I’m like, why can’t I steer?

Turns out, if you turn on all the assists, the game basically drives for you. I just held down the accelerator and it did the rest, such as steering and breaking. Not sure how to feel about that.

It kinda made me miss Project Cars 3, which I uninstalled so I would have plenty of space for this 119GB monstrosity.

I’ll likely turn down the assists, but not the best first impression, I must be honest.

Haha! I finally realized I almost didn’t have to brake or take my foot off the pedal. Just steer. I’ll turn my assist down too. Really enjoy this and purchased it yesterday (rather than just have omit off play pass). I’m not sure what the mods do though. Are they one use or something that carries on so long as you have them?

Man I didn’t even have to do that, the game steered for me. It was wild.

LOL! That is crazy! I’d been taking my foot (finger) off the pedal and even braking some but slowly realized braking wasn’t needed unless I was in a pack and/or trying to pass. A little later I realized that I was down shifting regardless of me lessening the gas (I prob never will try full manual shift unless I buy a wheel/pedal/shifter setup). And then in my last race I almost never used brakes or lowered my speed manually. It was nutso. But hey, I did win my first series, so I’ve got that going for me.

I bought the standard $10 version. I was laughing yesterday though that I don’t have enough room to install it on my PC or my Xbox. It’s too big! Of course, having Flight Simulator installed on both doesn’t help.

I’m gonna hold out to see if it’s GwG next month, like FM6 was. If not, I’ll probably pick it up.

I don’t think that’s possible anymore, right? It’s being delisted on Sept 15th. So if was announced for GwG for September, it would have to stick around for all of Sept as a free entry, which isn’t possible.

At least, based on prior behavior.

One way to find out, I guess. To be honest I probably won’t pick it up, haven’t played an FM since 3.

I thought I’d reinstall this to see if I want to buy it before it goes for good or if I should just wait for FH5 and then FM8. Turns out they’re just giving people a bunch of free cars? I assume these aren’t DLC ones though. There were a bunch of “Spotlight” cars flagged when I first loaded it up, including several Hot Wheels ones. Then in the messages section there were about 20 “Gift Cars”, including some pretty expensive supercars. Might want to check it out.

Yeah I noticed a lot of the cars sold separately outside of the car pass were now free to me where before (I last reinstalled it last year) each cost a few bucks.

Well, that’s kind of the Forza games in a nutshell. They’ve got driving in them, sure, but they’re mainly about standing in front of a firehose that constantly blasts you with more cars.

-Tom

All of them except Forza 5. And they got a lot of shit for that, so I doubt they’ll try to make a CaRPG Forza game again after 5. But that’s why it’s my favorite one. In F5 you had to win races so you could earn money and buy cars with that money.

True enough, but I also recently played a bit of GRID 2019 since it went on Game Pass, and while I don’t really like the direction they’ve taken the career mode in the FM or FH series, I now know I’d rather still have FM7 in my library than GRID. It’s way more CarPG-y.