Founding Fathers Forum Game: A republic, if you can keep it.

The first issue of the Adams Administration is one raised by the Northern liberal followers of Benjamin Franklin. Arguing that slavery is a stain on the American conscience, the anti-slavery liberals and quakers of Pennsylvania proposed a compensated emancipation plan. Substantial opposition to the plan existed in Congress, from both Southern members, who supported the peculiar institution, and from many Northern members, who felt that the emancipation plan violated the Constitution’s prohibition on ending the slave trade until 1808. Many also thought the cost was ruinous. Only a concerted effort from President Adams would be able to push an end to slavery through.

End Slavery is a difficulty 7 issue. If resolved, it increases public support for the Liberal party by 2, and reduces reserves by 200. If ignored, it had no effect. There is no popularity change either way.

“I hold this practice abhorrent personally and morally. This administration will not support the spread of the ‘peculiar institution’ not will it aid any of the States in their maintenance of it. But the compromises, promises and agreements made by these thirteen United States, made in good faithe, established a nation. I will not see that nation and its comity, forged in blood, destroyed by the strife, conflict and upheaval caused by the sudden imposition of the end by of the ‘peculiar institution’ by a tyranny of the slimmest of majorities.”

From Speech by John Adams in Pennsylvania, June, 1797.

Ignore, @CF_Kane

With the question of slavery off the table for the time being, the remainder of 1797 was largely uneventful. Early 1798 brought the first potentially new state to the union, as the people in the Kentucky territory requested admission to the union.

The admission of Kentucky is a difficulty 2 issue, resolved by the Secretary of State and Congress. It gives plus one popularity if successfully admitted. It is adjacent to Virginia, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois, and provides 4/10/13 electoral votes in the three eras.

Also, @Ironsight is correct that I owe @Navaronegun an IP for the Tariff Act of 1797.

Over to @Navaronegun to appoint a Secretary of State or ignore.

One quick question, are we doing mortality checks on our issues?

Franklin bought the farm on the first Hand of Time card. Pretty sure the only Hand of Time card left to draw is the Sedition Act.

Yes. Only two hand of time cards in the first deck, Tax Rebellion and Sedition Acts.

Statesmen are primarily eliminated by retirement (after two terms or losing reelection as President).

Appoint John Jay Secretary of State, who acceptes.

Delegate this issue to my esteemed Vice-President, Alexander Hamilton (@Cuthbert), to aid in resolving the difficult state/territorial border issues.

Secretary Jay submites the Bill for Kentucky’s Admission to the Union before Congress. Mr. Madison’s (@Brooski) Faction votes firste.

Vote YEA with 12 votes

@Cuthbert

Technically I have to agree to pass it or ignore it…but Yes with 12 votes

I think its @Panzeh’s vote

Vote yes aith 12 votes @Ironsight

12 votes yes. To you Mr. President.

We welcome Kentucky into the Union with 7 votes, @CF_Kane

In a rare show of unity in the post-Washingtonian era, the Congress unanimously approved the entry of Kentucky into the union.

(+1 Popularity to Adams, Hamilton, and Jay. Kentucky admitted).

@Navaronegun, any business before the next issue?

Not yet, next issue please, @CF_Kane

In 1799, the Congressmen representing the territories obtained through the Northwest Indian War and Louisiana purchase proposed a Land Act, allowing for the sale of land to people willing to move to the territories at $2 an acre, with a minimum purchase of 320 acres. A quarter of this amount was due at time of purchase, with the remainder to be paid over 4 years in yearly installments.

The Land Act of 1804 is a difficulty 4 issue for the Treasury and Congress. If resolved: Public Support 2 to Liberal. 1IP to Conservative Leader. Revenue +5. Popularity +3. If Ignored or Rejected: Popularity -3.

@Navaronegun, will you pass this to Secretary J.Q. Adams or ignore the issue?

The Federalist-National Party believes in National Expansion. So does the President.

My able son, the Secretary of the Treasury (@Ironsight) , will shepherd this through the Congress.

Agreed. I believe the vote starts with @Brooski.

No 12 votes

@Cuthbert is next to vote.