Fox photoshopping NYT journalist pictures

Yea, Christian values was probably the wrong term. What’s the opposite of the ones they always complain about, San Francisco values?

No one’s complaining about photoshoped photos, we’re complaining about a supposedly journalistic organization photoshoping photos for their news coverage.

I’m surprised they didn’t go the whole hog and just add horns and a little goatee. But Bob’s right, being lazy and cropping off a cap badge to disguise that you couldn’t be arsed to go find a photo of a US soldier vs hitting one of your oponents with the Photoshop Ugly stick is exactly the same kind of thing.

I sorta hold politicians to the same standard though, as ridiculously impossible that must be.

You should expect propaganda from a political party. After all, they aren’t the ones claiming to be an unbiased news source. It’s still wrong, but not “tar and feather” wrong. At least photoshopping a Canadian soldier to appear American is hilarious.

And a politician claims to be telling us the truth or representing our interests. Other professions are held to a lower standard because they’re not news sources? Yeah, I’d say the Fox News example is worse, even childish. Yet though I’m not one to defend Bob, he picked a good example of another institution necessary for a civic society that practices the same thing.

When someone tells me something, I expect it to be true unless they’re honestly mistaken or stupid like a brick.

How is it propaganda from the DNC? The 'shop is pretty funny and impressively stupid, but it’s not like they did it with an agenda (what’s the secret message? “ha ha, we’ll fool them with this one!”).

The DNC didn’t set out to insult american troops or deceive, they were just lazy with stock photography and made themselves look like idiots. Something they’ve generally been pretty good at doing this last few years.

Lord knows, sticking a giant nose on a jew is the height of hilarity. Or are you just suggesting that Fox assumes their audience will find that hilarious?

The Republic Party totally does the same thing.

Hmmm… not enough zing, especially since GWB himself once jokingly used that term.

If you want to respond to the GOP’s irritating subliminal error with one of your own, I humbly suggest “Repubican Party”. After all, fifty thousand Google hits can’t be wrong.

I suppose I didn’t realize Democrats find the term the Democrat party “bad.” I use it once in a while because my super gung ho Democrat Uncle in Ohio used to jump on me for calling it the Democratic party: he said “We don’t call the Republican nominees “Republicanian”, so why call nominees for the Democrat party “Democratic” nominees? We’re the @#$%# Democrats!, not Democratics!!!” He would then go on to tell me “Reagan KILLED PEOPLE!!! How can you like him when he funded those people to go in an KILL PEOPLE!!!” I haven’t spoken to him in the last year, but I know he was a huge Hillary supporter (he’s been in the UAW for about 40 years.) A good man who walks the talk, he secretly gave a neighbor $1000 (he asked me to help to ensure they didn’t know it was him) after they had a fire in their house - and for him, $1000 was a huge amount of money.

Hah, there’s actually a wiki article now on the history of Democrat party getting used as a slur.

I’m actually kind of baffled as to why that’s a slur? So, if Cherub is a Republican, Jason, are you a Democratic? Do we talk about the Democratics in Congress? How in the heck is Democrat a slur? Is there some Greek interpretation I’m not aware of?

It’s usage that makes a word a slur, not any innate property, but “Democrat Party” isn’t grammatically correct.

“Republican” is the adjectival form, so “Republican Party” makes sense. “Republic” is the noun form, but that noun refers to the entire republic, not individuals within that republic, so it’s more proper to identify people belonging to the party as “Republican [people].” “Democratic” is the adjectival form, so “Democratic Party” makes sense. “Democrat” is the noun form, and that noun refers to individuals – “a democrat” is a person who subscribes to the ideals of democracy.

So on the personal level, “Democrat” is the appropriate term, because “democrat” is a word that assumes the personal level. But because “republic” is a word that assumes the national level, it’s not the right word for an individual supporter of the Republican Party. And because “democrat” implies a smaller frame of reference than a national political party, the proper term for party-related affairs (as opposed to specific persons belonging to the party) is “Democratic.”

If you are a Despot, you are in the Despotic party.
If you are a teapot, you are in the Tea party.
If you are a sexpot, you are the party.

Fox News is starting to scare me. They reinforce the stupid factor in American Conservatism and help propagate right-wing ideology for their own purposes. This is no less concerning than state-run media… maybe more-so because they do it in an under-handed way while claiming to be “fair”, whereas everyone knows state-run media is full of shit.

Is there anything us little people can do to stop this kind of crap at Fox News?

I think it’s pretty obvious why it upsets people. It’s a simple matter of respect. The name of the party is the Democratic Party, even though its members are called Democrats. Using anything else is simply wrong, and being deliberately wrong about someone’s name is usually because you’re trying to mock or belittle them. If your name is Jeff, but I insist on calling you Jack, that seems disrespectful, yes?

I can’t say I feel too bothered by it, personally, as I simply find it indicative of the middle-school mindset of those who choose to use it. But it’s not really that hard to understand.

I don’t even understand your question, Jeff. Why is “nigger” a slur? Because it’s widely understood as an insulting perjorative. Same for chink, kike, and all those other lovely words. Slurs are considered slurs because they’re understood to be slurs.

Same thing for “Democrat party”. Granted, the Democrat party isn’t anywhere near the same level of ugliness as the other slurs I mentioned in this post, but it still is a slur.

I thought my original comment was pretty clear.

You could try what I do… don’t watch it.