Fringe = Lost?

I didn’t realize this was Abrams – my expectations would have been higher if I knew that.

That said, it’s a solid, wide open premise like the X-Files that should be flexible enough for the writers to tell any kind of story they want within the framework. Liked the female lead. Meta-conspiracy is a little cliche but whatever. The science gobbledygook produced only a little bit of eye rolling (the blood bank solution seemed logical), and they didn’t constantly have a character going, “English, please” after every line which is a pet peve of mine.

If I expected something completely different like Lost I would have been disappointed, but as more traditional weekly show this one could be decent.

I thought it was not half bad - and loved the steward of Gondor as the mad professor.

Can’t help but think that the current soundtrack is a collection of placeholders for the moment - including such classics as Fellowship of the Ring ( Exit from Mines of Moria ) and the Underworld track from Sunshine ( When Kappa calls home )

Fun to watch if only to Name That Tune!

I just watched this and I thought it was terrific. They downplayed the sci-fi stuff just a bit, but you don’t want to flood people with crazy stuff right away when you can dole it out an episode at a time. The characters we know are cool, and I know it’s a show I’ll be adding to my list of Must See for the fall.

Considering Fringe is one of only four shows on my Fall schedule that I planned on watching, I hope it turns out well. But…what’s with people saying they saw it already? It doesn’t premiere until this Tuesday, right?

Well, this is #1 on my list. EW has a feature on it and Abrams says the first episode is not quite as character-driven as he would like and that the series hits its stride a couple of episodes in. He also said they intend to not let the show get wrapped up in its own mythology as the majority of episodes will be “stand-alone” ones. I imagine that is a shot at X-Files.

The network (aka non torrent premier over television tubes) is indeed this Tuesday.

Actually I would guess that it’s a shot at Lost. With X-Files, the vast majority of episodes were stand alone, with only about 1/4 per year (if that) devoted to the mythology.

They had a lady with a super advanced cyborg arm, direct mind to mind Matrix-y stuff, and interrogating dead people. Short of setting the whole thing on a starship I think they were pretty sci-fi-ish.

Which gets back to my objection to the earlier definition of science fiction the op tried to pt out there. It’s more than Space Opera.

That being said, I’m not watching this show and I think anyone who does is a fool. X-Files dissolved into crap when the creator lost control of the mytharc. Lost dissolved into crap when the creator lost control of the mytharc. Alias dissolved into crap when the creator lost control of the mytharc.

There’s no way I’m going to watch a show modeled on the first, made by the same guy who did the second and third.

Yeah, could be. The X-FIles bogged itself down a bit in dragging us along on the conspiracies and only semi-resolving things. Still loved it, though.

Ha, that as well said. It was done well, I think, that I didn’t realize all that was jammed in one sitting.

Well, I have to disagree with you about Lost, as I still enjoy that show immensly. I’m not sure why some “fans” think it turned bad when the 3 survivors were in captivity, I find each episode interesting and fun to watch, but what can you do? Different strokes, etc.

I assume that if you won’t be watching Fringe and you don’t like Lost, I should by that logic never miss an episode.

That’s harsh. I forget I am not supposed to like Lost anymore and that I did not enjoy X-files as much as I thought I did. Thanks for straightening me out.

Holy shit. Fringe is fucking awesome.

One day you’ll learn how to love again.

I never got into X-Files and lost interest in Lost most of the way through the first season, and so I don’t have any notions of how Fringe will turn out for me. I can hope it evolves well and keeps me interested but if it doesn’t that just means it frees up a couple dozen hours a year for me to do other things.

I’ll watch it if for no other reason than it’s a scripted Sci-Fi series. Even if it sucks it’s still better than an hour of “Hole in the Wall!”.

I was interested until the commercial proclaims, “From the writers who brought you Transformers”. :/

Maybe they’re trying to atone for their sins.

It ain’t too bad.

My girlfriend and I are spending more time arguing over whether or not that’s really Boston. We’re in agreement that it’s not really Harvard, though.

The most surprising part so far would have to be the advertisement for Spore about halfway in. Other than WoW, I think it’s gotta be the first time I’ve seen a PC-only game advertised on prime time in ages.

Also, the blond chick is friggin’ weird lookin’.

She’s got a Lucy Lawless thing going on.

I hated lost, this is decent enough so far.